Armed with automatic rifles, Turkish authorities raid Gülen-linked schools

An armed police officer stands in guard outside of a prep school in Aksaray. (Photo: Haberdar)
An armed police officer stands in guard outside of a prep school in Aksaray. (Photo: Haberdar)


Date posted: August 4, 2015

Inspectors from six different state bodies have raided several schools and educational facilities linked to the Gülen movement as part of a witch-hunt against the group that has been raging since twin corruption investigations targeting the country’s president and his inner circle.

In central Turkish town of Aksaray, dozens of inspectors, coupled with at least 300 police officers from smuggling and organized crime units, raided schools and prep schools on Tuesday. The raids are part of a nationwide crackdown on institutions and individuals somehow linked to the Gülen movement. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of orchestrating the graft investigation against him and his inner circle. Gülen movement denies the charges. Since the allegations were surfaced nearly two years ago, the authorities have only escalated raiding, shutting down or defaming institutions or individuals close to the movement.

On Tuesday, the new target was schools operated by Private Sema Educational Institutions and prep schools of Sabah. Inspectors from Finance Ministry, Firefighting Department, Social Security Institution, Environment and Urban Affairs Ministry, Tax Department and Agriculture Provincial Directorate raided the schools.

The educational facilities have been the subject of repeated raids in the past two years. This time, the institutions’ lawyer Sebahattin Batur said, they “stormed” the schools. He said the schools are always open to inspections and the school officials have been helpful to the inspectors. The Tuesday’s raids, however, are part of a campaign to defame the schools, put pressure on employees and discourage parents to enrol their children just weeks before the school registration period, the lawyer said.

Following the raids, the police detained five suspects and issued an arrest warrant for another on charges of “financially supporting the organization,” referring to the Gülen movement. The suspects are accused of providing financial support to students in need and paying their tuition.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 04, 2015


Related News

Turkish Police Wait To Detain Another Women Just Hours After Delivery

Turkish government, which has imprisoned at least 700 babies so far, is now trying to imprison one more mother together with her newly born baby in Kahramanmaraş province on Tuesday.

Police raid house of 96-year-old philanthropist in İzmir

Police raided the house of 96-year-old Mustafa Şık, a prominent philanthropist, in İzmir on Friday as part of a government-initiated “witch hunt” operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement.

IFJ representative denied permission to visit journalist Karaca in prison

The Justice Ministry has rejected a request from a coalition of international journalist organizations to visit imprisoned Turkish journalist Hidayet Karaca at Silivri Prison in İstanbul.

Alliance for Shared Values Statement on Detention of Turkish Nationals in Kosovo and Their Imminent Transfer to Turkey

The Alliance for Shared Values denounces the detention of six Turkish nationals in Kosovo on Thursday morning as a result of demands from the Turkish government. This is the latest incident in which the Recep Tayyip Erdogan regime has targeted innocent individuals solely based on affiliation with the Hizmet movement.

Only educational efforts of groups such as Hizmet can eradicate extremism

In sharp contrast to Boko Haram, there is a faith-inspired group, a civil society movement that engages in education, dialogue and charitable activities and has grown out of Muslim grass roots. Check out how disturbed Boko Haram is about Hizmet’s education campaign, which offers opportunities for both boys and girls. Check out how ISIL publications outline exactly how they hate the Hizmet movement’s efforts and why they see Hizmet as their “enemies.”

Not appearing in the worst selfie in history

For a while now, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been busy with shutting down Turkish schools — affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen — in 160 countries which were opened thanks to the small contributions and tears of the people of this country.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Prof. İzzettin Doğan: Ramadan is opportunity to get to know Islam

More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links

Erdoğan’s war against Hizmet: Step by step

“Here today, the Honorable Gulen’s vision is coming true”, says Malian Minister

Turkey: Inspiring or insidious

Fethullah Gulen’s Message regarding Rumors Circulated in Turkish Media about a Second Coup Attempt

Turks caught up in Gulenists crackdown seek justice

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News