Samanyolu permission to shoot Ramadan program in mosque


Date posted: June 17, 2015

Requests submitted by the Samanyolu Group seeking permission for two of its stations to shoot programs in the gardens of two mosques in the Üsküdar district of Istanbul during the holy month of Ramadan have been turned down by the İstanbul Mufti’s Office.

In a letter to Samanyolu TV responding to the broadcaster’s request, the mufti’s office said permission for Samanyolu TV and Mehtap TV to broadcast live from Küçük Selimiye Mosque and Atik Valide Mosque during Ramadan had not been granted. The letter was signed by İstanbul Mufti Rahmi Yaran.

The Samanyolu Group, whose chairman Hidayet Karaca is in prison as part of a government-orchestrated operation carried out on Dec. 14 of last year, sent a letter to the mufti’s office on May 22 requesting permission for Samanyolu TV and Mehtap TV to broadcast live during the iftar (fast-breaking) and sahur (pre-dawn) time slots.

However, state-run broadcaster Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) and the pro-government ATV were granted permission to broadcast live from Sultanahmet Mosque and Eyüp Sultan Mosque, the two biggest attractions for people in İstanbul during Ramadan.

Meanwhile, a group of municipal officials of the Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) Üsküdar Municipality tried to stop Samanyolu from putting up temporary decorations, similar to the interior of a mosque, on the roof of one of its buildings last week. The officials left after they were informed by TV staff that the decoration was not permanent.

Last July during the holy month of Ramadan, Samanyolu TV was granted permission to broadcast live programs from the garden of Küçük Selimiye Mosque. However, minutes before iftar on July 11, municipal officials forced the Samanyolu TV crew out of the mosque’s garden where they were shooting a Ramadan program, despite the crew having permission from the authorities.

The municipal police first asked the crew from STV to leave before forcing them out, although the crew had presented the official document they had received from the mufti’s office and the Religious Affairs Directorate.

Since a major corruption probe became public on Dec. 17, 2013 implicating people close to the AK Party, media outlets close to the faith-based Gülen movement — popularly known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by the views of prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — such as Samanyolu and Zaman have been targeted by the government.

The AK Party and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accuse sympathizers of the Gülen movement, especially those in the police force and the judiciary, of being part of a plot against the government by carrying out the graft probe. However, Erdoğan and AK Party circles have yet to present any concrete evidence proving their accusations. The Gülen movement has strongly denied all claims.

Samanyolu Group lawyers submitted a complaint to the İstanbul Public Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesday against Yaran on charges of restraining people’s freedom of religion, expression and opinion, discrimination and misconduct. The lawyers also appealed to an Administrative Court for a stay of execution for the decision of the mufti’s office.

Religious Affairs Directorate bars Turkey’s largest religious books publisher from book fair

The Religious Affairs Directorate has barred 20 publishers, including Turkey’s largest religious book publisher Kaynak Publishing Group and Zaman Books from participating in the 34th Turkey Book and Culture Fair starting on Wednesday, organized by the directorate and the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality’s cultural department, Kültür A.Ş.

According to Özden Demir, general manager of the Kaynak Publishing Group, barring the largest religious books publisher in the country from the 34th Turkey Book and Culture Fair is discriminative. Demir told the Cihan news agency on Tuesday that the reason for them not being allowed to participate in the fair is “limited space,” which he claims is not reasonable.

Demir said they were unable to register for space at the fair after being told by officials at the directorate of the decision. Demir also noted they have been participating in the fair every year since 2000 and never faced any problem before.

Kaynak Publishing Group consists dozens of publishers that publish books in different categories and languages. The group is also known as the publisher of the books of Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 16, 2015


Related News

Turkish schools and the race in philanthropy!

Government spokesman and Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said the effort was discussed at the last Cabinet meeting and a presentation was made.ınç reminded the limits set by law and said, “We don’t have a duty to close down the Turkish schools there, and we lack the power, too.”

Infiltrating or contributing?

None of the academics in attendance reported finding any sign of attempts by movement members to overthrow democracy or even to “grab a bigger share of the pie” for a new elite, shady or otherwise.

The Gulen Movement Is Not a Cult — It’s One of the Most Encouraging Faces of Islam Today

How will it end? Erdogan has beaten Hizmet decisively. But he is planting the seeds for his own destruction. How and when he will fall remains unclear. Meanwhile, on the international scene, Turkey is rapidly becoming a pariah. The country itself is now his primary victim.

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Indeed, just last week a columnist in a pro-government daily argued that officials in certain government institutions have been expelled over their alleged ties to the Hizmet movement. This is no different from a witch hunt. In a civilized society, expelling qualified professionals because of their sympathy for a religious and social movement can only be described as discrimination.

Turkish imam in Australia mobilizes worshippers to spy on Gülen movement

Salih Arslan, a member of the board of the Ankara-funded Süleymaniye mosque in the Australian city of Perth, was revealed to have incited worshippers to spy on followers of the Gülen movement and affiliated institutions, including schools.

IFJ representative denied permission to visit journalist Karaca in prison

The Justice Ministry has rejected a request from a coalition of international journalist organizations to visit imprisoned Turkish journalist Hidayet Karaca at Silivri Prison in İstanbul.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan admits calling Habertürk executive to change reporting during Gezi protests

Despite blocking accounts, Kimse Yok Mu able to collect donations

Alleged Gülen sympathizers in prison banned from communication with outside world

Islamabad High Court: Pak-Turk Schools will not be handed over to Turkish Government

Turks living in Britain see it as their duty to integrate

Kimse Yok Mu reaches out to tin houses of South Africa

In A Letter, A Jailed Woman Reveals Abuse And Ill-Treatment In Turkish Prison

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News