Charity Kimse Yok Mu to conduct 30,000 cataract surgeries


Date posted: March 13, 2015

SATI KILIÇER / ISTANBUL

The charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) is planning to carry out 30,000 cataract surgeries in Africa and Asia in 2015.

Veysel Kayabaşı, who coordinates the charity’s health projects, said during the project’s promotion campaign in İstanbul that they plan to carry out 30,000 cataract surgeries in 2015. Last year, the charity organization conducted 30,180 cataract surgeries.

In the first phase of the project, Cemre Academy — formed by the charity organization and university students — will attempt to assist 10,000 people suffering from cataracts in various countries, mostly in Africa.

Donations provided by June will be used to carry out the operations.

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of Kimse Yok Mu, there are around 40 million people in Africa, most of whom are children, who suffer from cataracts.

During the promotion of the campaign at Süleyman Şah University in İstanbul on Thursday, many volunteers made donations.

Speaking at the event, Cingöz said it was impossible for a person who can see to fully understand how a person who cannot see feels.

“Because we know we will [be able to] open our eyes in a moment. It is difficult for people to understand that someone with cataracts will not see for their entire life,” Cingöz said.

The charity organization, which has so far lent a helping hand to millions of people in 113 countries around the world, has a total of around 200,000 volunteers.

University students who will contribute to this particular project include Amine Betül Karakaya, a student volunteer for the Cemre Academy, who said they hope to cure 10,000 people of cataract by the end of June.

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect charitable donations was barred by a Cabinet decision in September of last year but in November, the Council of State issued a stay of execution on the Cabinet decision, saying that it was against the law.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 12, 2015


Related News

Ugandan FA Minister: Turkish schools paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa

Ugandan Foreign Affairs Minister Asuman Kiyingi said Turkish schools have paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa. “I would like to note that especially the Turkish schools underpin the outreach,” he said. The minister Kiyingi shared that they regard the local Turkish schools as the most significant investments Turkey has made in Uganda and that they offer an admirable service in moral education besides their academic achievements.

In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

State Secretary Pramono Anung acknowledged Ankara’s statement on the affiliation of schools in Indonesia with the coup masterminds, but also said there was never any formal request from Turkey to shut down the school. Pramono indicated the government’s concern about Turkey interfering in domestic affairs.

Turks in South Africa tell a different narrative about Erdogan

The Hizmet Movement, founded by exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, hosted a panel discussion by its South African branch last weekend. The purpose of the event was to clarify misconceptions about the movement and its involvement in the current political situation in Turkey.

Turkish schools abroad victims of AKP-Gulen conflict

The fate of the Gulen movement’s schools — located in over 160 countries — is being debated following Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s declaration of war in the wake of the Dec. 17 graft probe that targeted individuals associated with his government.

Gaza group: Oppression targeting Kimse Yok Mu harms needy the most

Gaza Peace Volunteers Association Chairman Dr. Nasser al-Sadi has expressed his frustration at a recent government decision to cancel the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu’s (Is Anybody There?) permission to collect donations for the rest of the year, saying that the charity’s ongoing flow of aid to many regions in Turkey and abroad, including Gaza, has now come to a halt.

Kimse Yok mu delivers aid in Palestine during Eid al-Adha

The Turkish aid organization Kimse Yok Mu, which has become the latest target of the Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) witch hunt, delivered aid in Palestine, including in Gaza, with approximately 100 volunteers from Turkey over the weekend.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

International community’s Erdoğan problem

A new book: Fethullah Gulen and The Gulen Movement in 100 Questions

Symposium concludes: Hizmet movement contributes to world peace

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

Swiss investigate spying on Turkish community

Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says

Erdoğan’s Baku visit will not close Hizmet schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News