Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

Supporters of the Gulen movement read the Quran as they gather in front of the Bank Asya headquarters in Istanbul, Feb. 4, 2015. (photo by REUTERS/Murad Sezer)
Supporters of the Gulen movement read the Quran as they gather in front of the Bank Asya headquarters in Istanbul, Feb. 4, 2015. (photo by REUTERS/Murad Sezer)


Date posted: February 10, 2015

In September 2014, in an address to the Turkish Industry and Business Association, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the following statement: “No effort is underway to cause the bankruptcy of a bank. That bank is already bankrupt. They are carrying water by hand to keep it afloat.”

Erdogan’s remarks, which targeted Bank Asya, owned by businesspeople close to the Gulen community, made headlines the following day, creating the impression that the bank had collapsed. Making such comments about a financial institution constitutes a dangerous move, as it could cause panic among clients and lead to mass deposit withdrawals. The headlines, however, failed to spark fear or panic among Bank Asya clients. They were all aware that the bank’s Gulenist links had put it in the government’s crosshairs.

Under normal circumstances, had Bank Asya’s capital structure weakened or had it gone bankrupt, it would be taken over by the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF). Yet, not only did the bank have a robust capital structure, but it had also strengthened itself by the sale of several affiliates. Nevertheless, late on Feb. 3, Turkish television channels broke the surprising news that the TMSF had taken control of Bank Asya.

A story run by the state-owned Anatolia news agency at 10:09 p.m. reported: “The Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK) established that Bank Asya had violated a Banking Law provision that requires banks to have ‘a transparent and open partnership and organizational scheme that does not obstruct the efficient auditing of the institution’ and therefore decided to transfer 63% of the bank’s preferred shares to TMSF’s disposal.” According to Anatolia, the BDDK had determined that Bank Asya had failed to submit information and documents concerning 132 of the bank’s 185 privileged shareholders, leading to uncertainty with respect to those shareholders. Meanwhile, the TMSF only said the bank’s “management had been taken over. Bank Asya’s routine activities will continue.”

The news could have sparked panic despite continuation of the bank’s routine activities. In an interview with Al-Monitor, Masum Turker, former state minister for the economy, commented that the method used to take control of the bank’s management was “unprecedented” and could have been designed to trigger panic among clients and push them to withdraw deposits.

Clients did rush to Bank Asya branches, but they did so to open new accounts to deposit modest sums, not to withdraw their money. A deposit holder interviewed Feb. 5 by Samanyolu TV said, “We came over not to withdraw money, but to deposit some. We’ll be selling our [gold] rings and bracelets to keep our bank standing.” Another client was seen holding a banner that read, “The state is trying to sink a bank, and we, the people, are coming to rescue it.”

For a bank to be seized, its capital sufficiency ratio — the ratio of the bank’s capital to its obligations — has to fall below 12%. Bank Asya has a ratio of 18%, which makes it one of Turkey’s strongest lenders. Yet, the government made the unprecedented move of taking control of the bank’s management by citing its failure to submit information and documents concerning some of its shareholders. According to Turhan Bozkurt, economy editor for the daily Zaman, it was “an attempt by the state to bankrupt a bank.”

The move against Bank Asya sparked anxiety among foreign investors in Turkey and had an immediate impact on the Istanbul stock exchange. The shares of banks with foreign partners suffered heavy losses Feb. 3-4.

Was there any anticipation ahead of the evening of Feb. 3 that Bank Asya might collapse? Tracing stock exchange movements, one could argue that such a story was already circulating on the afternoon of Feb. 3. The main index of the Istanbul stock exchange had started the day with a 335-point increase, reaching 90,048 points. In the afternoon session, however, an abrupt wave of heavy selling caused the main index to plunge 2,204 points and close the day at 87,509 points. The banking index suffered the heaviest losses, falling 4.24%, which suggests a sharp reaction by investors in banking shares.

Selling at the stock exchange continued Feb. 4 after the decision against Bank Asya was formally announced. The main index shed another 1,598 points, or 1.83%, to close the day at 85,910 points. Banking shares again suffered losses of more than 4%. Only 10 days earlier, market watchers had been discussing whether the index could break the 100,000-point benchmark.

Foreign investors appear to be worried that a bank’s management can be so easily seized in Turkey. To take control of a bank with a strong capital structure — and whose first branch was opened in 1996 in a ceremony attended by the then-prime minister and Erdogan himself, then Istanbul mayor — is not something that foreigners can fathom.

On Feb. 5, Umut Oran, a parliamentarian for the main opposition Republican People’s Party, submitted a written question to Deputy Prime Minister Ali Babacan, who is in charge of the economy, in a bid to uncover what went on behind the scenes. The document, which Oran made available to Al-Monitor, includes three questions:

  • Did the order to take control of Bank Asya’s management come from Erdogan?
  • What was the purpose of the BDDK deputy chairman’s visit to Erdogan on Feb. 2? Was it to discuss the Bank Asya operation?
  • Given that Bank Asya has been operational since 1996, is it only now that [the authorities] have noticed the bank’s failure to submit information and documents concerning privileged shareholders?

Source: Al-Monitor


Related News

In Netherlans court orders parents to stop calling De Roos primary a terrorist school

Judges in Haarlem have banned four mothers from calling an Islamic primary school in Zaanstad a ‘terrorist’ school. People who press ahead with saying the school supports terrorism face a fine of €1,000 with a maximum of €10,000.

Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers

The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.

Journalist: I was threatened over not supporting government

Seasoned journalist Cüneyt Özdemir has said he was threatened by two members of pro-government media outlets and pressured to jump on the bandwagon by lashing out at the Hizmet movement and hosting a commentator who Özdemir said is a staunch supporter of conspiracy theories.

668 Babies to welcome Eid Al-Adha in Turkish prisons

Six hundred sixty-eight children under the age of 6 will welcome the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha on Friday in jails across Turkey where they are staying with their mothers. There are 149 infants younger than 12 months in prisons.

Pakistan – Of friends and us

A student at the Pak-Turk School in Lahore was perplexed at the abrupt deportation of all Turkish teachers at the request of the Turkish President Erdogan. “The Pak-Turk School changed my outlook in life. The teachers were more than simply teachers, they were mentors and helped students in all aspects of life,” this student exclaimed. “Why are they kicking out my teachers who have done so much for my country?” he wondered.

The tragic end of the witch hunt

Several claims and accusations have been voiced, and the Hizmet movement has been described as a gang and a “parallel structure,” Are these accusations based on concrete evidence? No. Fabricated news published by pro-government media outlets, unfounded accusations and slanderous claims that are legally null and void have been refuted one by one. However, the pro-government media does not care about this, since they do not care in the least about rights or the rule of law.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

History of politically motivated assault on Bank Asya

Kimse Yok Mu continues relief efforts in Gaza

Fatih University wins European Universities Championship

Prof. Nanda: Extraditing Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would erode the rule of law

Detained woman, newborn baby transferred to police station 240 km away from home

Nigeria’s House of Representatives wants Turkey to know that Nigerian lives matter

Woman says husband abducted after losing job in post-coup crackdown

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News