Turkish court rejects appeal to arrest Dumanlı

Zaman editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı holds a banner that says
Zaman editor-in-chief Ekrem Dumanlı holds a banner that says "Free media cannot be silenced" outside his newspaper's headquarters in İstanbul's Yenibosna. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Selahattin Sevi)


Date posted: January 1, 2015

A court has rejected an appeal made by a prosecutor requesting the arrest of Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı, stating that there was no new evidence that was sufficient to put Dumanlı behind bars.

But the decision of the İstanbul 1st Penal Court of Peace is not final. The decision was submitted to a higher court, the 2nd İstanbul Penal Court of Peace, which will make the ultimate decision on whether Dumanlı should be arrested.

On Thursday prosecutor Hasan Yılmaz, who is in charge of an investigation targeting journalists, television scriptwriters, former police chiefs, and producers and directors of a TV series were taken into custody on charges of being members of a “terrorist organization” formally objected to last week’s court decision to release Dumanlı and seven others pending trial on terrorism charges.

Dumanlı was one of the dozens of people detained on Sunday, Dec. 14, in an operation that was widely condemned at home and abroad as a crackdown on critical media. In addition to Dumanlı, the general manager of Samanyolu television and a columnist for the Bugün newspaper were also detained as part of an investigation of an alleged conspiracy in a 2010 police operation against a radical Islamist group.

Dumanlı and most of those detained were released pending trial, while Samanyolu General Manager Hidayet Karaca and three former police chiefs were sent to jail to await trial.

The prosecutor’s request for the reversal of the decision to free Dumanlı came only several hours after a mysterious Twitter account user with the pseudonym of Fuat Avni wrote that taking Dumanlı back into custody had been ordered directly by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The whistleblower, who professes to be from the inner circle of Erdoğan’s administration, wrote on Wednesday night that Erdoğan had ordered his team to arrest Dumanlı “no matter what.”

Source: Today's Zaman , December 30, 2014


Related News

GYV says Gülen did not send letter to Erdoğan

“In those days [of the corruption debate], it was conveyed to us that President Abdullah Gül, having held meetings with various groups in the name of peace for the nation and to prevent debates from escalating further, wished to send an envoy to Gülen to transmit his thoughts as well as to learn Gülen’s considerations,” Şimşek explained.

91-year-old philanthropist targeted in witch-hunt operation in Erzurum passes away

A 91-year-old man, Alaattin Öksüz, who came to public attention in February when police officers attempted to detain him as part of an operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, has died.

Turkey’s teachers, police officers join unskilled labor force after coup purge

Many public servants, including police officers and teachers, found themselves working at unskilled jobs in the labor market after being dismissed following decrees issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Gülen’s lawyer: Pro-government media ignores ruling of Supreme Court of Appeals

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said in a written statement on Monday that pro-government media outlets continue their false accusations about Gülen and members of the Gülen movement, pointing out that Gülen was acquitted in June 2008 of all allegations that had been leveled against him at that time.

President Gül hosts Turkish Olympiad students in Ankara

YASİN KILIÇ, ANKARA President Abdullah Gül hosted a group of students coming to Turkey as part of the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and this year brought together 2,000 students from 140 countries around the world, in the capital on Friday. The Turkish Olympiad, which is organized by the […]

200 public servants sue PM over ‘parallel state’ statements

Interior Minister Efkan Ala was questioned about the government’s actions against “the parallel state” and the “Cemaat,” referring to the followers of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has been in voluntary exile in the United States for over a decade.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Filipino ambassador hails Turkish schools

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

Turkish Cultural Center Hosts Food Drive

Erdogan plotted purge before coup, say Brussels spies

Turkish Police Wait To Detain Another Women Just Hours After Delivery

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

73-year-old says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son-in-law behind bars

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News