World media covers possible anti-journalist ops; Turkish press silent


Date posted: December 12, 2014

Some foreign news outlets have been covering a whistleblower’s claim that around 150 journalists will be detained as part of a new government-backed operation, but most Turkish media outlets have remained silent on the issue.

Fuat Avni, an anonymous Twitter user who says he is among President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s inner circle, posted a series of tweets on Thursday claiming that around 150 journalists affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, would be detained as part of a new wide-scale operation. Avni has previously revealed many government-backed police operations to the public.

The tweets of the whistleblower sparked public outrage, intensifying the already existing concerns over the freedom of press in Turkey.

The Independent daily reported on Avni’s tweets, with the headline “400 critics of Erdogan expected to be arrested, says Twitter user.” The English paper cited Avni, saying that “400 people, including 147 journalists from newspapers known to be critical of Mr Erdoğan and his governing Justice and Development party (AK Party)” would be detained.

The daily also said that what the Twitter user posts is generally taken seriously because the whistleblower is “thought to be among the government’s inner circle and has made reliable predictions about police operations since last year’s so-called ‘17 December’ scandal, which rocked Turkish politics.”

Mashable, a British-American news website, was another international media outlet that covered Avni’s claims in a report headlined “Turkey’s ‘Deep Throat’ warns of plans to detain nearly 150 journalists” on Thursday night. The website, including views from some Turkish journalists, stated that the “journalists identified in Avni’s tweets work for publications critical of the government and linked to a faith-based movement.”

The tech-oriented new site also mentioned successive government-backed operations against the police force in which hundreds of police officers were detained, saying: “Such an operation [against journalists] would not mark the first time Erdoğan’s government has used mass detentions in its attempt to root out Gülen loyalists from influential institutions. More than 100 police officers have been detained this year in order to clean up departments the government suspects are in cahoots with Gülen.”

While there are reports about the possible operation coming from some foreign media outlets, most of the Turkish media has remained silent on the issue. The Doğan Media Group’s outlets, such as the Hürriyet daily, preferred not to cover Avni’s tweets. However, Erdoğan had threatened this media group in a speech about two weeks ago, accusing Doğan of engaging in corruption.

The Sözcü and Milliyet dailies are two other popular media outlets that have not covered the claims, though the Taraf and Cumhuriyet dailies as well as a few other news portals reported on Avni’s tweets.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 12, 2014, Friday


Related News

Sweep these [journalists] off the floor

Sevgi Akarçeşme, former editor in chief of Today’s Zaman, recalls the night when the police raided the building of the most important and independent opposition newspaper in Turkey. «What happened to journalists today» she warns « can happen to citizens tomorrow».

Turkish ruling party’s targeting of the Gülen movement constitutes a crime against humanity

Members of the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, have systematically and for many years now, had secret files kept on them. They have also been followed, fired from their jobs and made the targets of extreme insults and curse words.

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

Turkey must release two men detained over suspected links to a cleric blamed for a 2016 coup attempt and pay them compensation for arbitrary detention, a UN body said on Wednesday.

‘I wanted to die during torture’ – teacher speaks on 2016 coup arrest

A report titled Mass Torture and Ill-Treatment in Turkey which was published in June 2017 by the Sweden-based Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF), declared that the torture, abuse, and ill-treatment of detainees and prisoners in Turkey have become the norm rather than the exception.

Foreign Policy’s emotional and biased journalism on Turkey

Ihsan Yilmaz On Jan. 11, 2012, Foreign Policy magazine published a piece titled “Behind the Bars in the Deep State” by Justin Vela. The piece is neither objective nor accurate. It is one-sided and biased. It is also prejudicial against the Hizmet (Gülen) movement. It fails to give a balanced picture of Turkish politics and […]

Gov’t steps up campaign against Hizmet via terrorism accusations

The government has intensified its campaign against the Hizmet movement, a civil society initiative inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s teachings promoting interfaith dialogue, peace and tolerance, by putting Gülen on a list of wanted terrorists despite the move lacking any legal basis.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Nigeria: Post-2015 Agenda – Addressing the Inadequacies in Women’s Rights

Thunder’s Enes Kanter in London after detainment in Romania over politics

14th Int’l Festival of Language and Culture kicks off in Philippines

Fethullah Gülen strongly condemns US consulate attack, extends condolences

Turkic American Alliance hosts iftar for members of US Congress

Turks mobilize to join solidarity campaign for Bank Asya

Albanian Ministry of Interior Violated Law in Trying to Deport Turkish National Selami Simsek

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News