We would like to increase the number of Turkish schools


Date posted: July 1, 2014

SENEGAL
The top advisors on education to the Senegalese president and prime minister are Ousmane Sow and Bouhacar Signine, and both men have only praise for the Turkish Yavuz Selim education organization, which works in Senegal providing important education services to youth.Both advisors highlighted how much they would like to see more Turkish schools in their country, saying: “This is because these schools have succeeded at something we have not been able to do for years. Our girls are receiving educations thanks to these schools.”On a working visit to Turkey, both Sow and Signine had the chance to visit the offices of the Zaman newspaper. During their visit, both men enthused about the 20 years of service provided by the Yavuz Selim education organization in Senegal, noting that they would like to see a Turkish university set up in their country by this Turkish group. Signine said: “We are able to tell whether or not a school is good or not through looking at the success they have in some international science and technology Olympiads. And in fact, these schools have really proven just how high quality they are, through, among other things, their great scores. Their students are also doing very well in university exams.”

He continued: “The education system, teachers and students are all very successful. Which is why we would like to see more of these schools opened in Senegal.”

Noting that he had participated in the closing ceremonies in Germany for the 12th Turkish Olympiad, Sow said: “Education is not just something that occurs in the classroom. There is definitely a cultural aspect to education. We really saw through this competition just how well these students are being taught.”

In last year’s Turkish Olympiad, Senegalese student Maty Diokhan won the top award in the poetry section, with a reading of Necip Fazıl Kısakürek’s poem “Zindandan Mehmed’e Mektup” (A Letter to Mehmet from Prison).

Source: Todays Zaman , June 30, 2014


Related News

Families Of Afghan-Turk School Students Hold Protest In Kabul [against Turkish Gov’t]

Families of Afghan-Turk Schools students on Sunday held a protest meeting in Kabul and called on the Afghan government to rescind its decision to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools to the Turkish government.

Turkey’s top Muslim cleric visits Turkish school in Cameroon

Religious Affairs Directorate President Mehmet Görmez visited a Turkish Schoolin the Cameroonian capital of Yaounde on Monday, where he praised the contribution of Turkish schools in Africa. Görmez, accompanied by Turkish Airlines Chairman Hamdi Topçu, was welcomed at the Amity International Turkish School with a ceremony by students and school administrators. The visitors listened to […]

Opposition CHP to take Gül-approved dershane law to Constitutional Court

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) is preparing to take a controversial law closing Turkey’s dershanes, or private preparatory schools, to the Constitutional Court, the party said a day after President Abdullah Gül signed the bill into law on Wednesday.

Questions for the government regarding prep school closure

BÜLENT KENEŞ What we have concluded after discussing the government’s plan to shut down prep schools for the past 12 days is that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is resolved to proceed with the plan. In this process we have understood that no argument about prep schools’ contributions to education, pedagogy, the principle of equal […]

Yet another Turkish school inaugurated in Nigeria

Hizmet volunteers, who set out on a nonstop journey of service, carry forward their initiatives around the world. They recently established yet another school in Nigeria’s Kano state.

Turks seek asylum in South Africa

Turkish businessmen fleeing arrest in their country for links to an alleged terrorist organisation are trying to set up a new life and open companies in South Africa. Speaking on condition of anonymity to Weekend Argus, a few of the businessmen explained how the Turkish government seized their homes and businesses. The businessmen say some of their families are still at risk back home.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Nigerian Turkish Foundation donates educational materials to Lagos schools

Post-coup purge in Turkey leaves children parentless after mother and father are put behind bars

Watkins’ Mind Body Spirit Magazine included Fethullah Gulen among its 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People

Somali denies allegations that ‘aid supplies did not reach camp’

Woman sent to prison on coup charges hours after surgery

Dutch government calls on Turkish community to report threats by supporters of Turkish President Erdogan

Why Kimse Yok Mu probe may affect education in Nigeria

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News