TUSKON awarded damages, to build orphanage in Uganda


Date posted: March 25, 2014

ISTANBUL

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said it has won compensation in separate cases for the illegal wiretapping of a phone conversation which turned into a smear campaign against the confederation and that this money will be used to build an orphanage in Uganda, the country at the center of the smear campaign.

Earlier in December, a voice recording surfaced on social media in which Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and TUSKON Secretary-General Mustafa Günay discuss business opportunities in Uganda. Günay also mentioned gifts sent from Uganda, which included pineapples. Günay also consulted Gülen about a tender for a refinery in that country, saying that a Turkish company — Koç Holding, if possible — should enter it.

For days after, government officials, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, publicly mocked the pineapple remarks. Erdoğan said, “We will not allow a pineapple republic in Turkey,” in reference to the phone conversation between Günay and Gülen, which had been illegally wiretapped.

In reaction to some who alleged that “pineapple” was a codeword for diamonds, Koç Holding CEO Mustafa Koç said those statements were untrue. Following this, TUSKON said it had launched legal complaints about the smear campaign. TUSKON said the pineapple issue was part of the Turkish culture of giving gifts, adding that the organization objected to others making fun of the issue.

“We have filed a total of 60 lawsuits against the alleged accusations, all due to the same phone wiretap, and the courts found TUSKON right in all of them. …we will receive compensation following our claim for damages and this will be allocated to the construction of a new orphanage in Uganda,” Günay told reporters in İstanbul on Tuesday. He declined to mention the size of the compensation. Günay said it was his job description is to help Turkish businessmen, regardless of whether they are members of his business organization or not, to build commercial relations with Uganda or any other country.

TUSKON earlier stated that it was saddening to see Günay’s efforts to help Turkish companies win an oil refinery tender become the subject of unrelated debates, instead of being appreciated.

“They do not extract diamonds in Uganda; they don’t even have gold. … I do not know where these people came up with such unrealistic claims,” Günay said, adding that TUSKON will work even harder to cement Turkish ties with Uganda.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 25, 2014


Related News

Minister Yazici Visits Turkish Schools in Yemen

Customs and Trade Minister Hayati Yazıcı visited International Turkish schools on the second day of his Yemen visit. Yazıcı watched a performance by students going to Turkish schools. Yazıcı gave presents to students who performed. Yazıcı and Yemen’s Finance Minister Sakhar Al-Wajih signed an agreement on cooperation and mutual aid in matters related to customs. […]

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

I have learned with grief about the horrific terrorist attack against two Coptic churches in Egypt during a Palm Sunday mass, killing at least 43 worshipers and police officers. I vehemently condemn this atrocity against the Coptic Christian community.

World renowned NGO-rating Global Geneva stands by Kimse Yok Mu

US-based philanthropic consulting firm Global Geneva stands behind non-governmental organization Kimse Yok Mu, and slammed the ludicrous terror charges being put forward by the politically motivated witch hunt from the Turkish government.

‘Nigeria Moving Towards Peaceful, Happy Future’

Notwithstanding the series of conflicts in various parts of the country, there is a high hope that Nigeria is heading towards peace and a brighter future, Initiator of Hizmet Movement and foremost Turkey-based scholar, M. Fethullah Gulen, has declared. He disclosed this in a message to the Ufuk Dialogue’s 5th Dialogue and Peace Awards Ceremony, […]

Nigeria demands Turkey’s apology over ‘unjustifiable’ students deportation in coup crackdown

Nigerian lawmakers have urged the Turkish government to apologise for arresting and deporting dozens of Nigerian students. The majority of the youths attended the Fatih University, which is among thousands of educational buildings Turkey has shut down in a crackdown following the failed coup.

17 Percent Students Of Nile University Are On Scholarship

Prof. Hussein Sert, the Vice-Chancellor of Nigerian Turkish Nile University (NTNU), said that 17 per cent of students in the institution were on scholarship. Prof. Sert told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Saturday the institution offered scholarship to students that performed excellently in pre-university examinations.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

D.C.-based law firm gathers intel on U.S. residents for Turkey – WSJ

Gülen movement has no political agenda

Building bridges through knowledge, experience and friendship

GYV holds reception for attendees of 70th UN General Assembly

Gülen’s speech broadcast live for first time after website banned

Kimse Yok Mu sends next party of aid to Syrian refugees

Turkish school staff among 230 more evacuated from Yemen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News