TUSKON chairman to Erdoğan: To make fortune, join business world


Date posted: March 1, 2014

İSTANBUL

In a response to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s call to Hizmet movement to form a political party, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) chairman Rıza Nur Meral called Erdoğan to quit politics and join the business world to make money.

Speaking at TUSKON’s fifth general meeting on Saturday, Meral highly criticized PM Erdoğan for its rhetoric and accusations about the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

“Politics is a platform where you serve people. It is not a spot to make money or build a fortune. Businessmen are calling those who tell non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to form a political party, to get into business world to make money,” Meral said.

One of Turkey’s most influential business confederations, the TUSKON, was threatened with being “wiped off the market” by the government after TUSKON made critical statements about government policies, chairman Rızanur Meral told the media on Friday.

Wall Street Journal (WSJ) Turkey quoted Meral as saying on Friday that “different government figures, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, warned [that it would] do away with TUSKON unless it cut relations with certain groups critical of the government.” Meral was speaking in an interview with the WSJ Turkey on the sidelines of a Turkey-Africa Business and Investment Council meeting in İstanbul.

Meral’s comments are no surprise to those familiar with Erdoğan’s efforts to clamp down on his critics. Continuing government pressure and an alleged smear campaign against Turkey’s largest Islamic group, the Hizmet movement, which TUSKON is affiliated with, has seen leading business figures receive threats from government and its supporters. Erdoğan alleges that the Hizmet movement is working to undermine his political power, but he has provided no sound evidence to prove his claim. The Hizmet movement has so far dismissed all claims fabricated by the pro-government media and used by Erdoğan as “baseless.”

“Companies close to the Hizmet movement were contacted by some top government figures — by Erdoğan in person in certain cases — and they received threats to cut relations with the movement. Key figures from the National Intelligence Organization [MİT], the Finance Ministry and even business confederations like us visited TUSKON member companies to give them a warning,” Meral told the WSJ Turkey. The paper said the Ministry of Finance denied the claims and that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) was not immediately available to comment on the issue.

“Yes, we are under intense political pressure; however, TUSKON members are not afraid of these threats. Instead, they have doubled efforts to boost new investment and charity projects,” Meral said. The chairman said they have faith that the current oppression will eventually come to a halt and leading business confederations like TUSKON and the Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) will survive to serve Turkey. “Political figures and the government are temporary, but such organizations as TUSKON will continue to serve the Turkish people for a long time,” Meral concluded.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 1, 2014


Related News

The irrationality of demanding Turkish schools abroad be shut down

Since last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been constantly “advising” his foreign counterparts to shut down the Hizmet schools in their countries.

Who is the winner?

The Gülen community is a movement of volunteers. The real reason for the row is not the community’s attempt to meddle in politics. It is due to its sheer size and public image. As he did with other groups or communities, Erdoğan sought to take full control of the Hizmet movement in an effort to consolidate his power. Following the defeat of the military tutelage, the government saw a convergence of power. However, the Hizmet movement was not a piece of cake which it could swallow easily. The government had previously purged itself of many bureaucrats who are close to the community.

Alaton: I’m telling everyone about Turkish schools’ contribution to world peace

On June 12, the Turkish Olympiads children from around the world visited the businessmen Ishak Alaton and Mustafa Suzer. Referring to the Turkish Olympiads event as a “grand organization”, Ishak Alaton said he’s been telling his circle about the Turkish schools’ high quality education and contribution to global peace. The Olympiads children, who have been […]

Faces of Manisa prisoners rendered unrecognizable due to torture, lawyer says

The faces of people held in a Manisa prison have become unrecognizable due to heavy torture, Seda Tanrıkulu, a lawyer representing some of the prisoners, told the Turkish media. “When I met with prisoners, there were bruises on the face of D.K., made by the boots of officials,” Tanrıkulu said.

UN Body Asks Immediate Release Of Arbitrarily Jailed Police Chief

The United Nations’ Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (WGAD), which works under UN Human Rights Council, has called on Turkish government to immediately release police superintendent Kürşat Çevik who are arbitrarily arrested and still kept in Şanlıurfa prison over his alleged links to the Gülen movement and accord him an enforceable right to compensation and other reparations in accordance with international law.

In Greece, Turks tell of lives full of fear in Recep Erdogan’s Turkey

Dominika Spyratou of the Greek NGO SolidarityNow, which provides assistance to refugees, says that more than 1,000 Turkish citizens came to Greece seeking asylum after the July 2016 failed coup, while almost 300 Turkish families are now in Thessaloniki.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Overwhelming public response in support of Bank Asya

Kosovo PM to Turkey’s Erdogan: ‘We Mind Our Own Affairs’

Gülen, a man of peace, not behind attempted coup in Turkey

Erdogan’s dirty deal: Afghanistan to hand over control of Gülenist schools to Turkey

Ruling AKP officials downplay tension with Gülen movement

Is There ‘The Cemaat’ Under Every Stone?

Fethullah Gülen’s Condemnation and Condolences Message for the Mosque Attack in New Zealand

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News