Probe launched into daily Taraf for attempting to cause chaos


Date posted: February 5, 2014

İSTANBUL

A prosecutor’s office launched an investigation into the Taraf daily on Tuesday on the grounds that the newspaper’s articles aim to cause chaos in Turkey.

The office of the prosecutor, which is authorized to act in this matter in accordance with the Anti-terrorism Law, launched the investigation after a criminal complaint was filed by İmdat Geyve filed on behalf of a group called the Sakarya Justice Platform.

The complaint was based on the content of newspaper articles written by Yıldıray Oğur, Ali Karahasanoğlu, Alper Görmüş and Cem Küçük that are being used by the plaintiff as evidence of Taraf’s “crimes.”

Some of the accusations leveled against the Taraf daily, which is known for coverage critical of the government and for publishing confidential National Security Council (MGK) documents, are as follows: causing chaos in Turkey; attempting to change the constitutional order; obstructing the work of the legislative, executive and judicial branches of government; openly violating laws and encouraging the violation of laws by others; inciting people to hatred and animosity; establishing a criminal organization leading to chaos; intimidating people; causing economic and social crises; and professional misconduct.

Based on articles that appeared in Taraf between Nov. 28, 2013 and Dec. 5, 2013, such as “Decision to end [Fethullah] Gülen made in a 2004 MGK meeting,” “Religious communities critical of government profiled” and “Prime Ministry was notified of profiling,” which were written by journalists Mehmet Baransu and Emre Uslu, Taraf was accused of being connected to an “illegal entity within the police force and the judiciary.”

The complaint said although these stories were false, Taraf did not publish any corrections.

Newspaper articles displayed as evidence

Articles of columnists at pro-government newspapers were displayed as proof of the allegations in the complaint. The petition also blamed the Taraf columnists for an incident known as the Feb. 7, 2012 crisis, in which prosecutors requested but failed to bring National Intelligence Organization (MİT) spy chief Hakan Fidan to court to hear his testimony over the alleged involvement of Turkish spy agents in the terrorist Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) organization.

The complaint also said that convicted police chief Hanefi Avcı should testify in order to shed light on the aforementioned illegal entity that is claimed to exist within the state.

The complaint filed against Taraf resembles similar cases filed against authors such as Hrant Dink, Perihan Mağden, Orhan Pamuk and Elif Şafak between 2005 and 2007 by individuals who were convicted in the Ergenekon trial.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 5, 2014


Related News

BBC report: Women with younger-than 6-months-old babies in jail in Turkey

Hundreds of women are in pretrial detention in jails across Turkey with their infants, some of them less than six months old, due to a state of emergency declared after a failed coup last year, a BBC Turkish report said on Friday.

Inability to generate values

Many are quick to note that Turkey does not have a worldwide brand. It is true that this country, with a population of about 70 million, has virtually no world-class brand. Some people are trying to destroy the few brands it does have (such as Turkish schools — which are run by Turkish entrepreneurs inspired by the ideas of well-respected Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen).

Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.

Erdoğan government opposes democratic values: detained Turkish journalist

The government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is falsely accusing anybody that opposes it of treason, a prominent Turkish journalist currently detained in an Istanbul prison

Turkish asylum claims in Greece rise 40-fold in three years

The number of Turks claiming asylum in Greece has increased 40-fold in three years, according to figures released by Athens, as more people face prosecution for their alleged role in a failed coup against President Erdogan.

The hype about the Gülen Movement

Mustafa AKYOL Recently, there was a long New York Times story about the matter, which quoted a Turkish journalist who believed that Gülen followers “have proliferated within the police and the judiciary, working behind the scenes to become one of Turkey’s most powerful political forces.” So, as another Turkish journalist, let me also tell you […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Liberian Turkish Light International School Organizes Math Competition

International Festival of Language and Culture

Reports of en masse wiretappings denied by prosecutors

Politics and communities

Interview with the Journalists and Writers Foundation Chairman Mustafa Yeşil: Questioning the Gülen Movement: Truths, Lies, and Conspiracies

Fethullah Gülen always supported settlement process, lawyer says

Romanian Minister of Education gives Turkish Schools Teachers a Standing Ovation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News