Gov’t keeps purging, dozens of police officials across Turkey have been removed


Date posted: February 4, 2014

İSTANBUL

The government’s massive purge of members of the police and judiciary following the eruption of a corruption and bribery scandal continued across the country on Tuesday, with dozens more police officials being removed from their posts.

The purges are believed to be based on profiling of those who are said to be part of the Hizmet (Service) movement.

All the deputy chiefs at the Diyarbakır Police Department were removed from their post in the latest round of dismissals during an ongoing graft probe on Tuesday. They have been replaced by officials from the police school. Many officers at the police department have been appointed to positions at outposts. The officials that were removed from their jobs have all been appointed to less important posts.

The deputy chief at the anti-terrorism unit of Diyarbakır Provincial Police Department, Ali Gaffar Okan, has been reassigned to a new post as a teacher at the police school. The dismissals at the department are expected to continue in the coming days.

The Eskişehir Police Department also saw dismissals on Tuesday in which four police chiefs, four deputy chiefs and three chief commissioners were removed from their posts, raising the total number of dismissals in the province to 16.

They have been reassigned to different posts. Two chief commissioners at the anti-smuggling and organized crime unit have also been reappointed to the district police department.

The dismissals are reportedly taking place at the order of new Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who was appointed to his position in a Cabinet reshuffle after the corruption investigation broke, replacing former Interior Minister Muammer Güler, whose son was detained on Dec. 17 in the first round of the investigation. Media reports note that the officials who were removed from their duty were ones who conducted major operations against corruption and bribery.

The dismissals of thousands of police officers have also extended to the Prime Ministry, with 23 security officers being removed from their jobs.

Twenty-three security guards at the Prime Ministry were removed from their posts on Tuesday. The dismissals came after an inspection board completed a report regarding the discovery of a listening device in the office of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The report had been sent to the prosecutor’s office and the file was taken over by the related unit at Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office due to suspicions about spying.

There are reportedly security guards responsible for protecting the prime minister as well as those working at the security camera control center among the dismissed.

The provincial gendarmerie commander who intercepted three Syria-bound trucks on suspicion of transporting arms in Adana province at the order of a prosecutor also has been removed from his duty and reassigned to a less significant position at the Ankara Gendarmerie Schools Command.

The trucks, which officials said belonged to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), were searched by security officials. The prosecutor recorded the contents of the truck, but pressure from government officials prevented him from filing criminal charges, according to reports.

Around 6,000 police officers as well as about 130 prosecutors have been removed from their duties and reassigned to other posts in total since the corruption investigation became public on Dec. 17.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 4, 2014


Related News

Detained Woman Covers 50 Km Twice A Day To Feed One-Year Old Baby In Turkey

Şule Akkaya, a primary school teacher who was detained on June 1, 2017 as part of an investigation into the Gülen group, reportedly covers 40 to 50 km twice a day to breastfeed her one-year-old baby in Zonguldak.

Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Lawyers representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have filed a complaint against two İstanbul prosecutors who are conducting an investigation into their client, accusing them of violating procedural rules in the manner the probe is being conducted. The prosecutors have also lied on many occasions in writing, according to Gülen’s lawyers, who say that the prosecutors […]

General Staff ordered broadcasting of anti-Gülen recordings

Journalist Mehmet Ali Birand has claimed that the General Staff ordered the broadcasting of anti-Fethullah Gülen audio recordings by some TV stations in the run up to the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed military intervention.

Chicago organization welcomes new scrutiny amid fallout of failed Turkish military coup

“The Hizmet movement has nothing to hide,” Alexander said. “We’re hoping people can learn more about it. Since Gulen is being accused of this, there will be greater scrutiny of the Hizmet movement, and we invite that scrutiny.”

Millions of people have asked for interview with Gülen

We realized it was not only millions of people in Turkey but also the world who were paying attention to what Gülen had to say. The interest in the Gülen interview also confirmed the universal dimension and vision of the Hizmet movement.

Exiled Turkish professor ‘leading US university’

Medical scholar branded a ‘terrorist’ by Turkey over his alleged links to a US-based cleric is named head of an institution in Texas. Professor Tekalan is a former rector of Istanbul’s Fatih University.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey: Time the world intervened

Turkey’s Erdogan exploiting failed coup to crush dissent, tighten grip on power

Barton: Erdoğan intoxicated by power, imperiling democracy in Turkey

Will Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Allow Kidnappings In His Country?

Friends of Hrant slam gov’t attempt to associate Dink murder with Gülen movement

Turkish cultural day in the Philippines

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News