AK Party İstanbul head: Purge in state institutions began long before


Date posted: February 3, 2014

ANKARA

A prominent figure in the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has revealed that the elimination of Hizmet movement sympathizers from state institutions started long before the breaking of a graft probe on Dec. 17 of last year, which the government claims was an attempt to destabilize the government with the help of the Hizmet movement.

“Actually, this picture [within state institutions] was demonstrated before Dec. 17 by the MİT [National Intelligence Organization] crisis of Feb. 7 [of 2012, in which prosecutors issued a summons for MİT’s undersecretary]. In fact, it had been noticed earlier that this infiltration and the establishment of this parallel structure in the National Police Department, the judiciary and other state institutions, their acting as though they were part of another organization, was causing problems, and a process of elimination [of those parts of the Hizmet movement] had already been launched,” Aziz Babuşcu, head of the AK Party’s İstanbul branch, said on the CNN Türk television channel on Jan. 30.

Babuşcu, who said no state would accept becoming the instrument of a religious community or being taken over by such a community, maintained on the program 360 Derece (360 Degrees) that the state did what was needed to be done as a reflex action.

The Hizmet movement is a religious community inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Maintaining that the reassignment of thousands of people in the police force and dozens in the judiciary since the breaking of the corruption probe, in which four former ministers of the AK Party have also been implicated, should not be considered routine reassignments, Babuşcu said: “This is a process which should be considered as a natural reflex of a state to eliminate this [parallel] structure. And this state must settle this issue. It has to settle it for the sake of the survival of the state.”
Construction period will not be as they desire

Babuşcu had already signaled, in a speech he delivered on April 1, 2013, that people allegedly connected with the Hizmet movement would be eliminated from public institutions. Babuşcu had revealed, at a meeting of the İstanbul Suriçi Group Association, taking place at a hotel in the Topkapı district, that the ruling AK Party would part ways with some groups in the future, saying, “Those who, in some way or another, were stakeholders with us during our 10-year rule will not be our stakeholders in the next 10 years.”

Noting that in the past 10 years of AK Party rule, some groups, such as the liberals, had acted as partners of the ruling party although those groups, in one way or another, did not accept all of the party’s values, Babuşcu emphasized that the future would be a period in which they would construct a new Turkey.

He said: “The construction period will not be the kind of period they want. So, those stakeholders will not be with us [in the future]. Those who previously acted, in some way or another, with us, will, in the future, act with powers that are against us. Because the Turkey that will be constructed [from now on] and the future that will be built will not be a future and a period that they will accept.”

Source: Todays Zaman , February 3, 2014


Related News

Turkish police to detain another woman immediately after delivery

A group of police officers awaited outside a private hospital in Yalova province of Turkey in order to detain a woman who had given birth several hours earlier, according to a tweet by MağduriyetlerTR account.

President Gül says Turkish Olympiads ‘greatest service’ to Turkey

The president has branded the annual contest of foreign students on the Turkish language the “greatest service” to Turkey, Turkish culture and its language, as he met with contestants participating in this year’s Olympiads. President Abdullah Gül told reporters while meeting with participants of the 11th Turkish Olympiads in the Çankaya presidential palace that organizations […]

Şimşek: Despite slander, Gülen remains silent to avoid provoking gov’t supporters

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org — the website that usually publishes Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s speeches — has said that the Islamic cleric doesn’t respond to slander and insulting remarks so as not to provoke those who support the government.

Gülen’s lawyers file civil suit and criminal complaints against Prime Minister Davutoğlu

The lawyers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen filed both a civil lawsuit and criminal complaint against Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu over the prime minister’s claims about their client.

AK Party’s Deputy Günay joins intra-party opposition to prep school ban

Another deputy from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has criticized a recent government plan to shut down prep schools, saying that these institutions are not the cause of problems in the education system but a consequence of the current system. Günay’s remarks come one day after the AK Party referred Kütahya deputy İdris Bal to the party’s disciplinary board for expulsion after he opposed the government’s plan to close prep schools.

German government says Gülen movement not involved in any illegal acts

The German government, led by Chancellor Angela Merkel, has said an extensive assessment of the organizations and foundations of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement in Germany failed to identify any evidence of illegal activity, daily Zaman reported.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Pakistani students compete to advance to final of Turkish Olympiads

The world needs more song and dance than war – Mbete

Zaman journalists defy threat of arrest with heads held high

Kimse Yok Mu provides TL 11 million aid to Palestine

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Mother of 6 under arrest as police fail to locate husband suspected of Gulen links

Gülen says planned assassinations of prominent figures in Turkey could be blamed on him

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News