Gülen asked government to be more careful on the language they use: Deputy PM Arınç

Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc
Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc


Date posted: May 26, 2013

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen asked the Turkish government to be more careful in regional and international issues during his visit, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said May 22 in an interview with public broadcaster TRT. Arınç had meeting with Gülen, who lives in a self-imposed exiled in Pennsylvania, on the sidelines of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s talks in -Washington. Erdoğan had confirmed that the meeting took place, calling it “a humane visit.”

Arınç emphasized that he had known the Islamic scholar personally since 1975, before he became widely known, and they had maintained a very close relationship for years.

“When I told the prime minister about my intentions [to visit Gülen], he was very pleased. ‘I wish that we could meet him as well’ he told us,” Arınç said. “The prime minister told us ‘transmit my greetings, find out if he has any instructions, any recommendations,” he added.

“I wanted to ask him by first hand to enlighten us if he had proposals or if he considered that we were making mistakes. We were together for around three hours. We talked about Turkey and the world,” Arınç said denying that there was a growing disagreement between the Gülen movement and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) as suggested by the press.

“These are small problems. Some politicians or columnists say that there is coldness, envy or competition between us. I reject it.”

The deputy prime minister said that it was wrong to consider Gülen in political terms. “He is a person above politics,” he said, emphasizing that they did not expect or want Gülen openly supporting the AKP. “He is the conscience of the 75 million,” he added.

Arınç also said that Gülen appreciated the prime minister very much. “He prays for Tayyip Erdoğan,” he said. However, he also confirmed that Gülen had given some warnings to the government. “He wants us to be more careful, more vigilant on certain issues, especially to mind the language that we use. He wants us to show sensitivity on regional as well as international issues. I have noted each of his [comments] and partly transmitted them to the prime minister. I expect to tell him more when I have the opportunity to meet him for longer,” Arınç said.

Arınç said that he reiterated their invitation for Gülen to come back to Turkey, but that it was unlikely to happen soon. “I said that we could prevent rumors if he comes back to Turkey. He smiled. He is someone who burns with homesickness but for some apparent reasons he is still thinking of staying there,” he said.

Since the June 2011 elections, there have been persistent claims of a gradually growing disagreement between the government and the followers of Gülen, but this has been repeatedly denied by the government officials.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News May 22, 2013


Related News

Report: Turkey Mulling Attack On Fethullah Gulen

Turkish security services have reportedly been planning an attack on U.S.-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric suspected of masterminding the July 15 coup plot, a number of sources confirmed. The source said a Turkish intelligence unit in the U.S. had been monitoring the Gulen’s compound for several weeks and that the security was easy to breach.

A Forum On Africa in Turkey (II)

Istanbul was peaceful when we arrived to attend the 29th Abant international forum titled: “Africa: Between Experience and Inspiration”. The event which brought together about 160 participants held between June 28-30, 2013 at a serene and scenic mountain resort of Abantu Buyuk Hotel in Bolu,Turkey.

Another suspicious death: Doctor dies of heart attack in prison

Ali Özer, a 48-year-old doctor who was jailed due to his alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, has died of a heart attack in Çorum Prison. This is 57th such suspicious death or suicide since last summer’s so-called coup attempt against Erdogan regime.

State government in Baden Wurttemberg in constructive dialogue with Hizmet volunteers

The nine-item inquiry proposed by five CDU (Christian Democratic Union) deputies to Baden Wurttemberg State Assembly has been responded by Ministry of Integration in cooperation with Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Office of the Prime Minister Undersecretary and Ministry of Education. Through the answers, the public, once again, has been affirmed that the Turkish-initiated schools have […]

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (3)

Emre Uslu, Sunday January 1, 2012 In a previous article I examined the media campaign against the Ergenekon trials and discussed Ahmet Şık. As I mentioned, the impact of Şık’s arrest was exaggerated because he was allegedly writing a book criticizing the Gülen movement’s influence in the police force, and his arrest was to prevent […]

US, Gülen to trigger artificial earthquake(!) in İstanbul, Ankara mayor says

Ankara’s mayor Melih Gökçek claimed in series of tweets from his personal account on Saturday that external powers, including the US, is planning to trigger a artificial eartquake in İstanbul along theGülen Movement. “I had said FETO and US expects an earthquake in İstanbul in August 14 similar to the Gölcük eartquake in 1999. I ruined their plan after revealing in TVs. But the propoganda continues. The plan was to trigger an earthquake in İstanbul to destroy Turkey’s economy as US promised to FETO,” Gökçek wrote.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Religion and Politics in Turkey: To Talk or Not to Talk

Interview about Hizmet Movment at Maxwell School of Syracuse University

2017 Victoria Parliament Iftar dinner

Erdoğan gov’t signals change to allow re-trial of officers

Turkish PM admits did not know identity of putschists when he blamed Gülen movement

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

Nigeria demands Turkey’s apology over ‘unjustifiable’ students deportation in coup crackdown

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News