Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims


Date posted: October 28, 2016

Group claims Turkey’s state of emergency has ensured a ‘blank cheque’ for torture

SAMUEL OSBORNE

Detainees have been beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape by Turkish police, Human Rights Watch has claimed.

In a 43-page report published on Tuesday, the human rights group said a “climate of fear” had prevailed since July’s failed coup against President Tayyip Recep Erdogan and the arrest of thousands under a state of emergency.

It said Turkey had effectively written a “blank cheque” to security services to torture people.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry has repeatedly denied prisoners are ill-treated and said a unit had been established to investigate all claims. Ankara said the post-coup crackdown was necessary to stabilise a Nato state facing threats from Kurdish militants as well as wars in neighbouring Iraq and Syria.

HRW said it had uncovered 13 alleged abuse cases, ranging from the use of stress positions and sleep deprivation to severe beatings, sexual abuse and the threat of rape. The cases were not limited to possible supporters of the coup but also included detainees suspected of links to Kurdish militant and leftist groups.

Hugh Williamson, Europe and Central Asia director at HRW, said in a statement it “would be tragic if two hastily passed emergency decrees end up undermining the progress Turkey made to combat torture.”

“By removing safeguards against torture, the Turkish government effectively wrote a blank cheque to law enforcement agencies to torture and mistreat detainees as they like,” he said.

Turkey has arrested more than 35,000 people following the coup, detained thousands more and sacked over 100,000 over their suspected links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric Mr Erdogan blames for orchestrating the coup. Mr Gulen denies the charge.

The government has said the widescale crackdown is justified by the gravity of the threat to the state on 15 July, when rogue soldiers commandeered tanks and fighter jets, bombed the country’s parliament and killed more than 240 people.

Mr Erdogan declared a state of emergency days after the failed putch, allowing him and the cabinet to bypass parliament in enacting new laws and to limit or suspend rights and freedoms as deemed necessary.

Emergency decrees have since extended the period of police detention without judicial review from four days to 30, and have allowed the authorities to deny detainees access to lawyers for up to five days, and restrict their choice of lawyer.

Eight of the cases reported to HRW took place in the immediate aftermath of the coup, before the emergency decrees were published, while five took place after they were adopted.

In one, a lawyer told HRW several detainees had been forced to undress and left out in the baking sun for hours. She said the police then severely beat them and threatened to rape them with a baton.

In a statement to the prosecutor seen by HRW, one detainee described how he was blindfolded and then beaten by police. “The police chief who detained me… began to slap me in the face and eyes,” he said. “They beat me on the soles of my feet, on my stomach, then squeezed my testicles, saying things like they’d castrate me.” He went on to describe a series of beatings on other parts of his body.

It also quoted one police officer telling a detainee: “Because of the state of emergency, nobody will care if I kill you. I will just say I shot you while you tried to run away.” It said those words were overheard by the relative of another person in detention.

HRW called on the authorities to “immediately rescind those provisions of the emergency decrees that enable abuse”.

turkey-soldier.jpg

People kick and beat a Turkish soldier, who participated in the attempted coup, on Istanbul’s Bosphorus Bridge (AP)

People kick and beat a Turkish soldier, who participated in the attempted coup, on Istanbul’s Bosphorus Bridge (AP)

It said the government has “the right – and even the obligation – to protect the public, investigate crimes committed during the attempted coup, including murder and causing bodily harm, and to hold those responsible to account.

“However, declaring a state of emergency does not give the government a carte blanche to suspend rights.”

Amnesty International previously said it had received credible evidence of detainees being subjected to beatings, torture and rape in the immediate aftermath of the failed coup.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag tweeted on Sunday to say there is no ill-treatment or torture in Turkey’s prisons, and argued Turkey was being unfairly accused. he said a special unit was established to investigate all claims.

Source: Independent , October 25, 2016


Related News

TUSKON to sue dailies over disputed land reports

Leading Turkish business group, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said on Thursday it will soon file lawsuits against certain government dailies which published allegations of irregularities regarding disputed land in İstanbul.

Fethullah Gulen: “If the allegations are proved, I agree to return to Turkey”

If some were under the influence of interventionist culture of the army and preferred to trample the values ​​of Hizmet with this reflex – which I do not think – their sins can not be attributed to all supporters of the movement. May God punish them. Nobody, including me, is above the law. I wish that all perpetrators, regardless of their affiliation, are sentenced to what they deserve through fair trial.

Why Is Turkey Targeting Hizmet? Questions about Erdoğan’s Post-Coup Crackdown

In May 2009, I received an award at the International Turkish Olympiad. The event was sponsored and organized by members of the Hizmet movement and most of the performers were students of Hizmet schools abroad. When I, together with a handful of other recipients, mounted the stage to accept our awards, there to shake our hands was the smiling then prime minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyib Erdoğan.

Offensive launched against Hizmet-affiliated schools in Antalya

The Antalya Metropolitan Municipality, which earlier changed the zoning plans of schools in the province affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in compliance with a call made by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in June, is to make a final decision on the fate of the schools following deliberation by the municipal commission on zoning and public works.

US Human Rights Report: Tens of thousands jailed in Turkey with little clarity on charges

The 2016 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices — the Human Rights Reports — released by the US State Department on Friday said that Turkish courts had imprisoned tens of thousands of people with little clarity on charges and evidence over their alleged links with a failed coup in July 2016 that was blamed on the Gülen movement.

Back to school in Turkey after post-coup teacher purge

As more than 18 million children began the new term after the summer break, Huseyin Ozev, president of the Istanbul teachers’ union, told AFP there were fears the academic year would begin with “chaos” because of huge staff shortages.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Pro-gov’t daily sets up hotline for informing on Gülen followers in EU

Understanding of Muslims in US is limited, says scholar

GYV says claims Hizmet formed political party one big lie

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

Gülen-inspired schools lead in university entrance exam results

Michael Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, was paid to investigate Fethullah Gulen during election campaign

Istanbul court re-arrests former Zaman reporter minutes before leaving prison

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News