Ministerial bureaucrats being purged over their alleged affiliations with Hizmet


Date posted: January 27, 2014

İSTANBUL
The government’s massive purges in the police and judiciary after the eruption of a corruption and bribery scandal has spread to other ministries, as some people, who have been secretly profiled and said to be part of the Hizmet (Service) movement, are being discharged from their positions, and the new people replacing them have been meticulously examined to determine if they have any connection with the movement, the Radikal daily reported on Sunday.

Personnel employed during the terms of former ministers Sadullah Ergin, Suat Kılıç, Fatma Aliye Şahin and Nihat Ergün have been changed to a great extent, while the traces of former Environment and Urban Affairs Minister Erdoğan Bayraktar are being eliminated almost completely, said the report. The only former minister whose cadre saw little or no change was that of EU Affairs Minister Egemen Bağış.

Radikal said the only criteria in these purges is the “parallel state,” a term the government uses to define those bureaucrats known to favor the Hizmet movement, which is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation to spread interfaith dialogue and tolerance with a particular emphasis on education. The government has been at odds with Hizmet, but it has burnt its bridges since a corruption and bribery operation started on Dec. 17. Belonging to the Hizmet community is not necessary to be purged. Having any kind of sympathy with the movement is also regarded as sufficient reason for elimination from a post.

Radikal provided some names of people who have been removed from their posts and appointed to lesser positions. For instance, it said the undersecretary of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Hakan Hakyemez, was replaced with Faruk Özçelik, general director of the Prime Ministry’s department of personnel and principles. By the time Today’s Zaman went to print, however, there was no official confirmation or denial about this information. Hakyemez was still being shown as the undersecretary on the website of the ministry. There will soon be more appointments within the ministry, the story claimed.

Radikal also asserted that Mustafa Öztürk, a former deputy of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), would be appointed as the undersecretary of the Ministry of Environment and Urban Affairs. For now, four top bureaucrats lost their seats in the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology, Radikal reported, adding that the government is planning to make sweeping changes in the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and the Small and Medium Industry Development Organization (KOSGEB).

Fikri Işık, the newly appointed science, industry and technology minister to replace Ergün — in what was perceived as a surprise change in the latest Cabinet reshuffle — has already dismissed two deputy undersecretaries along with two general directors.

Economy Minister Nihat Zeybekçi appointed İbrahim Şenel as his undersecretary. İdris Güllüce, who replaced Erdoğan Bayraktar, is planning to appoint Professor Mustafa Öztürk as his undersecretary. Öztürk was a former AK Party deputy from Hatay province. Güllüce purged a myriad of general directors in significant positions last week, the daily reported.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 26, 2014


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu continues its aid for Bosnian flood victims

BOSNIA Kimse Yok Mu Foundation has been continuing its aid efforts in the aftermath of the devastating flood in Bosnia. Among the regions impacted by the flood, Bosanski Samac, the late president Aliya Izzetbegovic’s hometown, suffered the most. While the floodwater receded in the neighboring cities in two-three days, Samac, which is located between the […]

The Gulen Movement is not a cult or terrorist group

The Gulen movement doesn’t support or engage in any terrorist activities. Although an Islamic movement, it is a social movement rather than a political one that focuses on the growth and change of education as a way to empower the Muslims for the future. They are open to dialogue, tolerant, moderate and non-violent. So for anyone to say that the Gulen movement is a cult, doesn’t know that they emphasize on dialogue and peace.

Chief General Eduardo Año: We don’t consider Gulen movement a terror group

Armed Forces chief General Eduardo Año has confirmed that the movement linked to Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen is not labeled as a terror group. Interviewed by reporters in Malacañang, Año said organizations in the Philippines linked to the Gulen movement have been helping people.

Reports of en masse wiretappings denied by prosecutors

Pro-government newspaper reports claiming thousands of people were wiretapped by prosecutors as part of an investigation into an unfamiliar terrorist group have been denied by both prosecutors who handled the investigation.

‘Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons’

Erdoğan has believed that Mr. Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement are the only ones left that could challenge his power and prevent him from becoming president.

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

No matter how many times I say, “Nothing worse or more unbelievable could happen,” Turkey never stops surprising me. Of course, as many agree, the unpredictable nature of things in Turkey makes this country a gold mine for journalists and researchers, but it’s exhausting at the same time. On Tuesday, the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Thais demand more Turkish Schools during their visit in Turkey

Turkey’s MGK says discussed organizations threatening national security

We must have more empathy for people fleeing for their lives around the world

The impact of corruption on elections

Why the West ‘failed to understand’ Turkey

NY Times: 3 Turkish Ministers Resign Amid Corruption Scandal

Ergenekon suspect convicted for insulting Gulen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News