22 businessmen sue PM Erdoğan over Hashishin remarks against Hizmet


Date posted: January 21, 2014

İSTANBUL

Twenty-two businessmen in Ankara on Monday filed a lawsuit against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for his remarks likening the followers of the Hizmet movement to a historic group of assassins, claiming that he insulted their character.

Last week in his party meeting, when speaking about those he accuses of orchestrating the ongoing government corruption investigation, Erdoğan, in a thinly veiled reference to the Hizmet movement, spoke of members of a group who are like “hashashins,” and who had undermined the Turkish state previously in history by committing assassinations.

Dr. Mahir Şahin, one of the plaintiffs, made a statement in front of the courthouse and argued that the people who follow the Hizmet movement, known as the “Cemaat” (community), are openly being targeted by publicly associating them with the corruption probe that broke out on Dec. 17.

Stating that these people are being convicted without evidence or trial, Şahin said that the prime minister is insulting the members of the Hizmet movement by associating them with the first known terrorist organization in history. Hashashins reportedly used to kill people in 12th century Persia and Syria while under the influence of opium. The English word assassin is believed to come from the name of the hashashins, whose leader was a man named Hassan Sabbah.

According to Şahin, Erdoğan describes members of the Hizmet movement as similar to members of a dangerous group that commits crimes. In addition he says that Erdoğan also accused the members of the Hizmet movement of committing “character assassination” and the secret recording of the private lives of politicians.

Şahin also said that Erdoğan’s accusations went further, calling the members of the Hizmet movement a gang that aims to control the state, terrorist organization, a secret organization that is trying to destroy the government. “Erdoğan’s description of us as deceitful, corrupt and a virus in the body are unacceptable,” Şahin went on to say. He argued that although the prime minister did not specify any names in his statements, anyone with an average intelligence would be able to understand that he meant the Hizmet movement.

Stating that the people who are committed to the Hizmet movement are known to be education volunteers by the public, Şahin said that the kind of accusations made by the prime minister should not be directed at these people.

“We deny the prime minister’s remarks which openly insult our character and do not reflect the truth,” Şahin pointed out, before saying that the group of plaintiffs had filed a lawsuit against Erdoğan based on Article 24(2) of the Turkish Civil Law.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 20, 2014


Related News

5-months pregnant woman detained as police fail to locate husband

A woman, identified as B.D. was detained after police failed to locate her husband as part an investigation in to the Gulen movement, media reported Saturday.

Questions we dare not ask: Gülen and the coup

Gareth Jenkins once criticized Turkey’s infamous Ergenekon indictments on the grounds that they were “products of ‘projective’ rather than deductive reasoning, working backwards from the premise that the organization exists to weave unrelated individuals, statements and acts into a single massive conspiracy.” Other than being a far more extreme example of “projective” rather than “deductive” reasoning, how is the Turkish government and its media’s attempt at connecting Turkey’s failed coup with Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement he inspires any different?

PKK terrorism, piety and the Gülen movement

Adem Palabıyık*, March 29, 2012 A Chinese proverb notes that if you kill somebody, you intimidate thousands of others. To this end, the assaults against the Zaman offices in Europe by Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) supporters in recent times appear to be relevant to this proverb. Intimidation… But why the Gülen movement? The reason for […]

How the fallout from Turkey’s coup attempt has been felt in South Africa

In the late evening of Friday, July 15, word spread across the world that a coup was under way in Turkey. The president was missing, the military announced it had taken control of the country, and a few hours later, in the early hours Saturday morning, the coup was over.

‘Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons’

Erdoğan has believed that Mr. Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement are the only ones left that could challenge his power and prevent him from becoming president.

University entrance exam results announced, top scorers from Gülen-affiliated schools

Turkey’s Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) on Thursday announced the results of the Transition to Higher Education Examination (YGS), revealing that students from Gülen-affiliated schools, which have been the target of a government-sponsored defamation campaign, are among the top scorers of the exam.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Can a leader play a mediator role while terminating an aid charity?

Irmak TV starts broadcast

Kimse Yok Mu’s permanent assistance continues in the Philippines

Turkish Businesses Snagged In Government’s Post-Coup Crackdown

Romania hosts 12th International Language and Culture Festival finals

Explained the secret: Gulen gave it as a gift

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News