TV station won’t cover AK Party events due to harassment of reporter


Date posted: December 30, 2013

İSTANBUL
A national TV station announced on Monday that it will no longer send reporters to Justice and Development Party (AK Party) rallies after one of their reporters was harassed by party supporters on Friday during the party rally organized to welcome Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at İstanbul Atatürk Airport.

Nilay Karakaş a reporter with Kanaltürk TV, which belongs to the İpek Media Group that has been critical of the government’s stance in the recent corruption probe that has rocked the country since Dec. 17, was verbally attacked during her live coverage of the AK Party rally. The young reporter and cameraman Yasin Kamaloğlu abruptly cut the broadcast and left the scene out of concern for their safety.

Following the incident, Tarık Toros, the editor-in-chief of Bugün TV, also of the same media group, announced in his column in the Bugün daily that the İpek Media Group will no longer attend similar governing party events due to the lack of security and direct threat to its employees. According to Toros, Karakaş was targeted with severe profanity while she was simply trying to do her job like any other reporter on the scene.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Toros said that they notified AK Party spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik about the incident, but they had as yet heard nothing from the party. According to Toros, increasing tension and attacks directed at the media are a result of the sharp rhetoric of the prime minister. “This is a direct reflection of what is spoken at the podium to the masses,” he commented, and he described the general trend as worrisome. Toros also criticized the prime minister for not displaying any disapproval of the young male AK Party members who wore shrouds at another event as a demonstration of their commitment to Erdoğan.

“It is not just about our reporter and the harassment she experienced, but about the increasing polarization in society,” Toros added, expressing his growing concerns about the state of the media-government relations in Turkey.

Toros also noted that the incident of harassment took place even though the news team had removed the logo from their equipment in fear of reaction from the AK Party crowd due to their recent critical coverage.

Pro-government paper sacks columnist

Meanwhile, a columnist from the pro-government Yeni Şafak, Osman Özsoy, has left his position and he hinted on his Twitter account on Monday that there had been government pressure on the newspaper to fire him.

After announcing that he had been notified by the newspaper of a decision to cancel his column, Özsoy tweeted, “It is not difficult to guess that there was motivation from beyond the newspaper administration that led to this.”

He added that disparaging former companions because they have parted ways due to a disagreement as the prime minister has done does not suit his character.

Özsoy also said these kinds of incidents are “not a period but a comma” and that the most important thing is that the “nation is walking toward the future.”

In his column published on Dec. 24 in Yeni Şafak, Özsoy tried to justify Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen‘s “conditional curse” on those who are trying to cover up the corruption investigation and dismissed attacks on Gülen for being an Islamic scholar and cursing people.

He also posted several tweets in the past few days criticizing the government’s intervention in the judiciary and slamming the defamation of Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 30, 2013


Related News

The Failed Military Coup In Turkey & The Mass Purges: A Civil Society Perspective

Both Turkish society and the world celebrated the fact that an anti-democratic intervention in the government was prevented. Turkish government has every right to pursue plotters within the law. The actions of President Erdogan’s government in the immediate aftermath of the coup, however, constitute a mass purge rather than a proper investigation.

Kosovo PM to Turkey’s Erdogan: ‘We Mind Our Own Affairs’

Kosovo’s prime minister on Monday pushed back against threats made by Turkey’s president over a probe into the arrest and deportation of six Turkish citizens with ties to schools linked to the Fethullah Gulen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup.

A reality check on [Turkey coup attempt] from America’s spy chief

Asked whether Turkish allegations that cleric Fethullah Gulen planned the attempted coup passed the “smell test” of credibility, National Intelligence Director James Clapper answered: “No. Not to me.” He said that Secretary John Kerry “was right on the ball” to press the Turks to back up their extradition request with evidence of Gulen’s involvement.

Gülen issues message of condolences for slain prosecutor Kiraz

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered his deep condolences to family of Prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz, who was killed after a deadly hostage crisis on Tuesday.

President Gül says Turkish Olympiads ‘greatest service’ to Turkey

The president has branded the annual contest of foreign students on the Turkish language the “greatest service” to Turkey, Turkish culture and its language, as he met with contestants participating in this year’s Olympiads. President Abdullah Gül told reporters while meeting with participants of the 11th Turkish Olympiads in the Çankaya presidential palace that organizations […]

Erdoğan’s game plan for Hizmet

Erdogan may continue to demonize and even to try to criminalize the Hizmet movement in an effort to brainwash his people into believing that he is the only one who can save the nation. We will see if this brings him the additional votes he needs to be elected president.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Syrian refugees – Losing Touch With Humanity in Times of War

What is wrong with the Western media?

Erdogan’s Turkey silencing dissent, abusing terrorism charges – HRW report

Ramadan Dinner At Kings Bay Y Celebrates Peace And Unity

Gülen won’t change his stand, urges followers’ patience

Erdogan’s Turkey: ‘You are either with us or you are terrorists’

Thunder’s Enes Kanter in London after detainment in Romania over politics

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News