Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc
Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc


Date posted: December 4, 2013

FATMA DİŞLİ ZIBAK, İSTANBUL

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday called on prosecutors to take legal action against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who last week revealed a controversial National Security Council (MGK) document indicating that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement in 2004.

The two-page document was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Cabinet members, Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök, Land Forces Commander Aytaç Yalman, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Özden Örnek, Air Forces Commander Gen. İbrahim Fırtına and Gen. Şener Eruygur.

Speaking to reporters following a Cabinet meeting, Arınç said the MGK documents are confidential and that it is not legally acceptable and publish them.

“Somebody got a copy of MGK decision No. 481 dated Aug. 25, 2004, and published it. According to the Turkish Penal Code [TCK], National Intelligence Organization [MİT] law, press law and the Radio and Television Supreme Council [RTÜK] law, publishing information that is confidential requires punishment. The person who has done this may face punitive measures. Let our prosecutors think about this,” said Arınç.

Concerning whether the controversial MGK decision was put into action, he said it has never been put into action and was treated as null and void.

The document asked the government to develop an action plan to pursue the MGK’s recommendations and instructed the Prime Ministry Implementation and Monitoring Coordination Council (BUTKK) to coordinate the ministries and monitor whether the steps were being implemented.

The MGK decision urges the Foreign Ministry, Interior Ministry and National Intelligence Organization (MİT) to closely monitor and report on the activities of the Gülen movement at home and abroad. It advises the government to instruct the Interior Ministry and Ministry of Education to investigate and monitor schools affiliated with the Gülen movement and report their activities to the BTK.

“MGK decisions are advisory and they are not binding,” Arınç said in further remarks.

Meanwhile, Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu on Tuesday criticized Deputy Prime Minister Arınç over his remarks about Taraf and journalist Baransu.

Releasing a written statement, he said when the government has a responsibility to maintain transparency in its affairs, it cannot refer press organizations, columnists or journalists who perform their duties to prosecutors.

He said Arınç’s referral of Baransu to prosecutors shows how problematic his understanding of  freedom of the press is.

Baransu: I am not afraid of threats

In remarks to Today’s Zaman, journalist Baransu said it is impossible for him to be afraid and take a step back from what he is doing due to the threatening statements of the deputy prime minister.

“I am just doing my job,” he said.

According to Baransu, what the government should do is to see which documents they put their signatures on, hence what crimes they have committed rather than threatening journalists.

He said he had received similar threats from the members of Ergenekon, a shadowy crime network that has links within the state and plotted to topple the government, and top military commanders such as Gen. Yaşar Büyükanıt and Gen. İlker Başbuğ and he was even prosecuted but still was not scared by their threats.

Baransu and Taraf have frequently become the targets of the Turkish military for exposing coup plots and controversial military action plans over the past years that resulted in the imprisonment of dozens of active duty and retired military members including former Chief of General Staff Gen. Başbuğ.

The journalist said it is very common for those holding state power in their hands to try to exercise this power in order to protect themselves, but he said he thinks it is a shameful act to try to frighten a journalist with such threats.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 3, 2013


Related News

Steller: For Turks, post-coup purges make U.S. safe harbor

There’s the political rhetoric — mainly Donald Trump’s proposal to ban Muslim immigrants or, in the most recent version, to suspend immigration from countries that have exported terrorism.

Ten thoughts on the [Erdogan] way of trolling

I’ve been writing about Turkey for more than a decade now. It’s a beautiful country, rich in history, and a complex society but, boy, in recent years their trolling has left a lot to be desired. It’s not just the internet trolls who have fallen far behind but also Turkish diplomats and even senior aides to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

How hateful discourse manipulates our perception

Claims have been made that these multi-billion-dollar deals have generated a huge hoard of funds for Erdoğan to buy off some media outlets through proxies, hire new sets of journalists to defend his government line and even convert critical analysts with fat checks to prod them to the other side of the aisle. And these claims also explain why some media groups are conducting black propaganda against the Hizmet movement.

Systematic Efforts by the Erdoğan Regime to Portray Hizmet as a Violent Organisation

Since its inception fifty years ago, Hizmet people has been consistently peaceful even at times of political persecution such as  the1980 coup and 28 February (1997) military memorandum. Despite all efforts of persecution, imprisonment, abductions, ill-treatment, and tortures, the movement has maintained its peaceful resistance and has not resorted to any violent response.

40 CSOs in US slam hate speech being used by gov’t officials

NEW YORK A total of 40 civil society organizations serving in various states of the US under the umbrella of the Houston-based Turquoise Council of Americans and Eurasians (TCAE) have criticized the hateful language adopted by top government officials after a major corruption scandal erupted back in December, saying that society is deliberately being polarized […]

Unaffected by tension, TUSKON promotes Turkish economy

The Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has had its share of these provocative media reports. Regarding the recent media reports criticizing TUSKON’s lobbying efforts for Turkish firms abroad, TUSKON President Rıza Nur Meral told Sunday’s Zaman that allegations against TUSKON “do not make sense” and that the confederation has always supported Turkish businessmen who want to branch out into global markets. “We will continue our support [for Turkish entrepreneurs],” Meral added.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

To be able to confront coups

What are the golden kids of the Turkish Olympiads doing now?

Immanuel Wallerstein and the Hizmet Movement

Police chiefs removed in four provinces across Turkey

AFSV Statement on Orlando Shooting

GYV discusses respect for sacred values at UN panel

US, Gülen to trigger artificial earthquake(!) in İstanbul, Ankara mayor says

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News