Turkish gov’t detains more than 70 women over their alleged financial support for jailed Gülen followers


Date posted: March 28, 2018

The Turkish government detained more than 70 women on Wednesday evening in five provinces across Turkey as part of a Balıkesir-based investigation targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

According to a report by online news outlet Kronos, 600 police officers took part in the operations led by Balıkesir Police Director Cengiz Zeybek and conducted raids to the 63 addresses in İzmir, Manisa, Uşak, Denizli and Balıkesir provinces. Police detained more than 70 women over their alleged links to the Gülen movement during the raids.

It was claimed that the detained women have been helping financially to the relatives of those who were jailed or escaped from the persecution of the Turkish government over their alleged links to the movement. The detained women were allegedly visiting frequently the families of the victims of the Turkish government led by autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan which has conducted a massive post-coup witch hunt campaign against the alleged members of the Gülen movement.

On Tuesday, at least 13 women were also detained by police over their alleged ties to the Gülen movement in a Karaman-based investigation. According to reports in Turkish media, Karaman Chief Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants for 18 women over their participation in the Gülen movement’s activities on March 22. Police carried out operations in 11 provinces and have detained 13 of them so far, according to media reports on Tuesday. Out of those 13 detained, 5 were later released on judicial control.

Women who have been jailed in an unprecedented crackdown have been subjected to torture and ill-treatment in detention centers and prisons as part of the government’s systematic campaign of intimidation and persecution of critics and opponents, a report titled “Jailing Women In Turkey: Systematic Campaign of Persecution and Fear released in April 2017 by SCF revealed.

In several cases, women were detained in the hospital immediately after the delivery of a baby and before they had a chance to recover. Many women were jailed as they were visiting their imprisoned husbands, leaving the children stranded in the ensuing chaos.

Turkey survived a controversial military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 judges, teachers, police and other civil servants since July 2016. Turkey’s interior minister announced on December 12, 2017 that 55,665 people have been arrested. On December 13, the Justice Ministry announced that 169,013 people have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

A total of 48,305 people were arrested by courts across Turkey in 2017 over their alleged links to the Gülen movement, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Dec. 2, 2017. “The number of detentions is nearly three times higher,” Soylu told a security meeting in İstanbul and claimed that “even these figures are not enough to reveal the severity of the issue.”

 

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , Marh 29, 2018


Related News

Welcome to the Republic of Paranoia

Since conflicting with the secularist segments of society in the Gezi Park events, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government has taken on a paranoid mentality that tends to relate all developments that are against the AKP government with some form of conspiracy against it. As a result of this paranoid outlook, the AKP government has now gotten itself into a conflict with the Gülen movement. It is arguing that the Gülen movement is working in conjunction with foreign forces to harm the government.

Liberals silent as Turkey targets its own Khashoggi

On May 31, Orhan Inandi, a Turkish-born educator and Kyrgyz citizen who founded a popular school network in Kyrgyzstan went missing in the Kyrgyz capital Bishkek. After his car was found five miles from his house, all its doors open and tires flattened, his families contacted Kyrgyz authorities.

Religious leaders pray for world peace at meeting of civilizations

Religious leaders prayed for world peace at an event deemed the meeting of civilizations and organized by the Antakya Intercultural Dialogue Association (AKADİM) and Turkish aid organization Kimse Yok Mu in the province of Hatay

Helping hands to Kosova

Turkey extended a helping hand to Kosova, the ninth poorest country of the world, through Kimse Yok Mu Relief Foundation. Responding to cries of the orphans in the country, which gained independence in 2008, Kimse Yok Mu Relief Foundation distributed a variety of supplies ranging from sewing machines to goreceries, stationeries to toys. Aids have been distributed to those who became widows and orphans for the sake of their country’s independence. Among volunteers, there were Mujgan Koralturk, who plays Dilan character in the famous series ‘Tek Turkiye’, and Aslihan Erkisi, a famous vocal artist.

Turkey’s Erdogan Is Already Making the Most of His ‘Gift From Heaven’ After Coup Attempt

Erdogan is establishing the regime he wants even if the constitution is not amended, a regime that ensures complete loyalty, whether out of support for him or out of fear he is instilling in tens of thousands of government officials, hundreds of thousands of teachers, thousands of judges and prosecutors and army officers. The shakeup in the education system is perhaps the most significant, even more than in the justice system or the army.

Turkish minister’s leaked email shows trustees to Gulen affliated organizations not appointed by courts

In the email Ahmet Özal says: “Definitely, trustees will be appointed to Turgut Özal University. … I think the esteemed president will also be happy if I cleanse Turgut Özal University [of Gülen sympathizers] and end the association between that community and my father’s name. I would be very pleased if you could convey this issue to the president [Erdogan] and help me get his support and approval.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Malian minister praises Turkish schools for persevering through war

African Professor lauds ‘Kimse Yok Mu’ as model relief organization

2014: Towards an “Empire of Fear”

Newly launched book tells stories of purge victims after Turkey’s July 15 coup

GYV summit highlights link between education, sustainable development

Nigerian federal gov’t on arrested students: Turkey on a vendetta mission

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News