Construction of Turkish hospital in Haiti begins


Date posted: December 22, 2010

Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), a Turkish charitable association, has laid the foundation for a 46-bed hospital in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince’s Croix-des-Bouquets district, which has a population of 500,000.

An estimated 200,000 people died in Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the world, in January when a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck. Hunger and health problems were among the biggest problems on this island nation even before the quake, but more serious issues emerged in its aftermath as most parts of the capital were reduced to rubble.

Kimse Yok Mu extended a helping hand to Haiti’s quake victims and launched an aid campaign titled “Haiti Waits for Emergency Help” to collect donations to help victims of the devastating quake. The association distributes food to 2,000 Haitians every day and has carried out 10,000 health screenings so far.

The association, which aimed to provide long-term and permanent assistance to the country, made the decision to construct a hospital and two schools in the country. The hospital’s foundation was laid on Monday in a groundbreaking ceremony attended by top Haitian officials.

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Samsun deputy Binnur Şahinoğlu and Kimse Yok Mu President Mehmet Özkara as well as dozens of businessmen who were scheduled to go to Haiti from the US were unable to attend because the international airport in the capital was closed following violent protests that came after preliminary presidential election results were announced, but are widely considered suspect.

Özkara delivered a message at the ceremony in which he said Turks would continue to extend a helping hand to the Haitians.

Croix-des-Bouquets Mayor Jean Saint-Ange Darius also delivered a speech during the ceremony and thanked the association. Stating that Kimse Yok Mu has always stood next to the Haitians, the mayor thanked “the generous Turkish nation” for its assistance.

 

Source: Today's Zaman , 22 December 2010


Related News

U.S. State Department, Citing Security, Suspends [Fulbright] Teaching Program in Turkey

In the wake of the coup attempt, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has conducted widespread purges of perceived adversaries. As a result, every university dean in Turkey was forced to resign. Some experts have raised questions about whether the university system will be able to function. The ripple effects to American academics are just starting to emerge.

Thousands congregate in New York to share iftar joy

Thousands of people in Queens County, New York attended an iftar (fast-breaking meal) dinner held on Saturday evening.

Archbishop Fitzgerald: Fethullah Gülen has inspired many Muslims to be engaged in interfaith dialogue

The English-born Archbishop Michael Louis Fitzgerald, one of the Catholic Church’s main experts on Islam and Christian-Muslim relations, has said that Fethullah Gülen has inspired many Muslims to engage in interfaith dialogue, and that this is a good thing.

Irregularities mark so-called Cabinet decision on Kimse Yok Mu

After the recent controversial Cabinet decision to rescind the Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) charity organization’s right to collect charitable donations, some irregularity claims have been raised by observers who say this decision was taken arbitrarily with no basis.

Muslim Leader Condemns Synagogue Killings

Fethullah Gulen, the Turkish Muslim preacher who lives in exile in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania and is sought by the Ankara for alleged involvement in the 2016 coup attempt there, condemned the massacre at the synagogue in Pennsylvania.

Gulenists dismissed, purged, and tortured: Canadian Immigration Board

The findings of IRB indicated that detainees in Turkey have faced different forms of torture and ill-treatment. They include severe beatings, threats of sexual assault and actual sexual assault, electric shocks, waterboarding, punches/kicking, blows with objects, falaqa [foot beating], threats and verbal abuse, being forced to strip naked, rape with objects and other sexual violence or threats thereof, sleep deprivation, stress positions, and extended blindfolding and/or handcuffing for several days.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Indialogue Essay Contest on “Culture of Living Together”

Nigerian students win at global contests

Purges at Turkish Airlines continue after PM’s ‘witch hunt’ remarks

Hizmet Movement is not interested in attaining political power in Turkey or elsewhere in the world

Turkey’s president orders closure of 1,000 private schools linked to Gülen

Tip of the iceberg

After Huge Overseas Accolades IFLC Is Going To Win Indian Hearts On May 07, At Talkatora Stadium New Delhi

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News