Retired public servant under custody for distributing donations to post-coup victims


Date posted: August 27, 2017

An Izmir man, identified as M.S., was detained for helping the overseas followers of the Gulen movement raise money for post-coup victims in Turkey, on Friday.

M.S. was rounded up while he was withdrawing the money allegedly transferred from Canada-based Gulen followers to his account, at a bank branch in Izmir’s Bergama district.

Bursa police carried out an investigation to round up M.S. who was suspected of distributing money to the victims of the government crackdown against the Gulen movement in the aftermath of the July 15, 2016 failed coup.

According to Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency, the funds, raised to support post-coup prisoners and those under investigation as well as the people dismissed as part of the government crackdown and their families, was raised in Canada and was sent from a bank in the US.

Turkish government accuses the Gulen movement of leading the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement. The government detained more than 125,000 people and arrested 55,000 of them over ties to the movement over the past year.

A retired police officer from the western province of Izmir, M.S. was also caught in the government’s post-coup purge as his son, also a public servant, has been recently arrested over ties to the Gulen movement.

Source: Turkey Purge , August 26, 2017


Related News

What’s not to love in this coup?

Up until yesterday, those who were dying to get a good seat in the “Turkish Olympiads”, now shamelessly intimidate the Turkish Olympiads organizers by saying “you think you have grown into a man by making two African and three Asian kids recite a Turkish a song.”

World’s oldest temple closed to visitors due to excavation team links with Gülen

Gobekli Tepe, the world’s oldest temple at more than 11,000 years, has been closed to visitors for 15 months due to alleged links of the excavation team leader and sub-contractor to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Plot against Gülen movement put into action based on lies, false confessions

An alleged secret plot against members of the faith-based Gülen movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which became public last year, is being put into action step by step based on questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Women gather for UN development agenda in İstanbul

Women, tasked studies on poverty, woman, child, education, environment and health mostly within the body of the UN came together for a program held by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV). With the event titled “Women’s Perspectives on UN Post-2015 Development Agenda” various sessions on nongovernmental organizations and developments targets, environment and economy will be held.

Gülen says he supports broader press freedoms

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he advocates broader rights specifically in the arenas of freedom of expression and freedom of the press for journalists, including those who “unjustly” accuse him of conspiring against them. The allegations were recently voiced following the recent release of four journalists released pending trial in the OdaTV case, […]

“Volunteers of education can end the chaos in the Muslim world”

Republican People’s Party (CHP) former party council member, Muhammed Cakmak referred to the global initiatives by volunteers of education as “a universal movement” and shared his belief that it will end the chaos in the Muslim world. CHP advisor noted this understanding based on de-marginalizing should prevail in Turkey in order to overcome social problems. […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Conference on Hizmet Movement to be held in Taipei

Al-Zuhayli says Gülen’s ideas hope of humanity

Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup

Farewell of Pak-Turk Teachers: Symbolic Burial of a Heart

Reps urge Federal Govt to intervene in Nigerian students’ detention in Turkey

Whistleblower reveals wiretapping conspiracy to libel Hizmet

Fethullah Gulen Calls Crackdown ‘Dark Pages’ in History – Responses to World Affairs Council of Philadelphia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News