Turkish PM admits did not know identity of putschists when he blamed Gülen movement


Date posted: July 20, 2017

A year after a failed coup on July 15, 2016, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said he did not know who had attempted to carry out the coup when they blamed the Gülen movement, in an interview published in Hürriyet.

“I, myself, create the main opinion. We spoke with our president [Recep Tayyip Erdoğan] and concluded that it could have been an attempt by FETÖ [a derogatory term used by government circles to refer to the Gülen movement] members. … That could have been true or false at that moment,” said Yıldırım.

Writing a column about the interview with Yıldırım, columnist Murat Yetkin underlined that Yıldırım was still unhappy with National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan for not informing him about the coup attempt despite the fact that he learned of it hours before it started.

“The prime minister says MİT Undersecretary Fidan called between 22:30 and 23:00, ‘maybe 22:40′,” wrote Yetkin, stating that it is not known whether Fidan called him before or not but that the prime minister clearly said he did not learn about the coup attempt from Fidan.

“The time [when he talked with Fidan on the phone] is important because the prime minister had a live call with NTV at 22:03 as the first official [announcing the coup attempt] and said the attempt was not within the chain of command or an order from the Turkish Armed Forces, but rather that an effort by a junta within the army and Fethullahists [people sympathetic to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen] were masterminding it.”

Questioning how it was possible that the prime minister had not been informed at 10:40 p.m. despite the fact that a major had notified MIT at 16:10 about a possible coup attempt and Fidan went to military headquarters at 18:10 to speak with Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar about how serious the plan was, Yetkin also asked how it was possible not to inform Yıldırım about the coup despite the fact that some soldiers had taken to the streets and jets had been flying over Ankara from 21:00 on.

Yetkin emphasized that Prime Minister Yıldırım has been displeased with the situation of not being informed by MİT’s Fidan despite a year having passed since the coup attempt.

“I have asked this to the head of MİT. ‘How is it possible?’ I said. The prime minister is not aware of it, the president is not aware of it. OK, informing the chief of general staff is pretty normal, but the prime minister should also have been informed because you are responsible to him. But he could not respond to this. He didn’t say anything,” Yıldırım had said in an interview following the coup attempt last year.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2015 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş announced on July 18 that 111,240 civil servants have been dismissed from their jobs while 33,180 others were suspended since the botched coup .

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ announced on July 7, 2017 that at least 50,504 people have been arrested and 168,801 are the subject of legal proceedings.

Contrary to accusations made by President Erdoğan and the Turkish government, the Foreign Affairs Committee of the UK Parliament concluded in March that Gülen and the movement he inspired as a whole were not behind the failed coup in Turkey.

The UK Parliament statement came a week after Germany rejected Erdoğan and the Turkish government’s accusations against the Gülen movement about July 15.

The head of Germany’s Federal Intelligence Service (BND), Bruno Kahl, said Turkey could not convince them that US-based Turkish-Islamic scholar Gülen was behind the failed coup in July.

Similarly, Devin Nunes, chairman of United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said he has not seen any evidence showing Gülen’s involvement in the putsch in Turkey.

In addition, a report prepared by the EU Intelligence Analysis Centre (IntCen) revealed that the coup attempt was staged by a range of Erdoğan’s opponents due to fears of an impending purge.

Source: Turkish Minute , July 20, 2017


Related News

Turkish police to plant Gülen’s books in ISIL cells, journalist claims

In the latest of an ever-growing demonization of Fethullah Gülen at the hands of Turkish government, police are set to deliberately put his books in ISIL cells in a bid to reveal an alleged connection between the cleric and the terrorist organization, according to a Turkish journalist.

Erdoğan calls on US to extradite Gülen in return for jailed US pastor in Turkey

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has called on the US to extradite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen in return for releasing American pastor Andrew Brunson, who has been jailed in Turkey since October 2016.

Parallel hearts…

It is unfair to accuse a movement whose only goal is to win hearts of seizing the state through bureaucracy. It destroys the world of the Anatolian people who are now holding hopes that they would be able to deal with their fate in the world. The goal and purpose of the Hizmet movement is not to create a parallel structure; its goal is to establish parallel hearts and a universal chorus of peace.

France sentences attacker targeting Gulenists as Turkey releases gunman in similar case

A 28-year-old man of Turkish origin has been handed down a prison sentence of eight months and a fine of 23,000 euros by a French court after he attacked several institutions affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in the country.

London newspaper forced to shut as Erdogan allies seek vengeance

A Turkish opposition newspaper in Britain has been forced to close and its journalists have gone into hiding as supporters of President Erdogan unleash a campaign of intimidation against exiles.

Turkey’s Erdogan Is Already Making the Most of His ‘Gift From Heaven’ After Coup Attempt

Erdogan is establishing the regime he wants even if the constitution is not amended, a regime that ensures complete loyalty, whether out of support for him or out of fear he is instilling in tens of thousands of government officials, hundreds of thousands of teachers, thousands of judges and prosecutors and army officers. The shakeup in the education system is perhaps the most significant, even more than in the justice system or the army.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Best robot design award for Turkish school students in NY competition

Turkey Bars Entry Of Critics By Adding Their Names Next To ISIL Suspects

Turkish language and culture festivals held in three countries

Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Turkish charities take benevolence across borders during Eid al-Adha

Needy Afghans looking forward to Kimse Yok Mu’s eid donations

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News