Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links


Date posted: June 19, 2017

Özlem Konakçı, the wife of former bomb disposal expert Bilal Konakçı, was detained over her alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 2016 coup attempt, on June 9.

Bilal was retired from his position at İzmir Police Department after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009.

Speaking to Yeniçağ columnist Ahmet Takan, Bilal said police and gendarmerie forces raided their homes at 8 in the morning on June 9 and detained Özlem after a search at the home.

When asked about the reason, police said they had received a complaint from two people that Özlem is linked to the movement, Bilal added.

Former bomb expert also also spent 35 days behind bars over similar accusations before being released on judicial control on Jan 25, 2017.

“When I asked him how he meets his needs, Bilal Konakci’s answer was heartbreaking: ‘I have two daughters; one of them is 12 and the other one is 2 years old. We depend on support from neighbors and what the elder daughter could afford. Also, my 70-year-old father and mother, who has one of his arms injured support us’,” Takan reported a recent phone call with Bilal.

Source: Turkey Purge , June 18, 2017


Related News

Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him

Independent deputy İhsan Barutçu denied telling the Star daily that the Hizmet movement had plotted against him, after the daily ran a headline on Friday with a quote from the deputy.

Friends of Hrant slam gov’t attempt to associate Dink murder with Gülen movement

A group called Friends of Hrant Dink, including lawmakers and activists, has harshly criticized the government’s recent attempt to associate the Dink’s murder with the Gülen movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling on authorities to expose the real criminals behind the murder.

French court punishes death threats, attacks against Gülen sympathizers

Following attacks and threats against Gülen movement sympathizers by Turks across Europe, a French court has handed down verdicts punishing two men for vandalizing an educational institution and sending death threats.

Ten thoughts on the [Erdogan] way of trolling

I’ve been writing about Turkey for more than a decade now. It’s a beautiful country, rich in history, and a complex society but, boy, in recent years their trolling has left a lot to be desired. It’s not just the internet trolls who have fallen far behind but also Turkish diplomats and even senior aides to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Turkish gov’t profiling went on until 2013, report claims

The Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals whom it believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups and monitored their activities up until 2013, a Turkish daily reported on Monday. According to the report, the profiling of individuals did not end in 2010 as previously claimed, but it continued between 2011 […]

Report: Gülen-linked media outlets sold to pro-gov’t media groups without tender

A number of TV and radio stations that were closed down by the government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15 due to their links to the faith-based Gülen movement have been sold to the pro-government Turkuvaz Media Group without a tender.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

1,500 pounds of frozen meat for needy Staten Island families

‘Nigerians and their leaders won’t fall for Erdogan’s harebrained gambit’

Erdogan Delivers Ultimatum: Washington Has to Choose Between Gulen and Turkey

TİB conspired to libel Hizmet, tampered with system logs

Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

Pineapple republic!

Thousands pay final respects to Gülen’s brother in Erzurum

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News