Major Says No One In Erdoğan Assassination Attempt Trial Has Links To Gülen


Date posted: February 22, 2017

One of 37 officers who are standing trial on charges of taking part in an assassination attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan during a failed coup on July 15 has said none of the officers in the trial has any links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Maj. Taner Berber said during a hearing of the trial of 47 people, 37 of whom are officers, at the Muğla 2nd High Criminal Court that although there is a consensus among the public about the Gülen movement being behind the coup attempt, he is a nationalist officer who is committed to the principles of Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey.

“We have been subjected to various tests since military school. If we had any links to the group, it would have been revealed. None of us including me has any links to the group. If there is someone who has nothing to do with this group, it’s those people behind me,” said Berber, pointing to the other officers facing coup charges in the same trial.

The major also said he and his colleagues had no intention of killing Erdoğan and that they thought they were taking part in a terror operation.

A 37-strong team of special forces members that attacked Erdoğan’s hotel on July 15 killed two policemen. Six aggravated life sentences were demanded for each of the 47 suspects.

SOLDIER RETRACTS STATEMENTS, CLAIMING PRESSURE WHILE IN CUSTODY

Meanwhile, one of 37 officers who are standing trial on charges of taking part in an assassination attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan during a failed coup on July 15 has retracted his initial statements, claiming that they were made under duress during his interrogation.

Noncommissioned officer Zekariya Kuzu said during a hearing on Tuesday that he has nothing to the with the Gülen movement and that his initial statements while in custody were taken under pressure.

In his initial statements taken and signed while he was in custody, Kuzu had reportedly talked about his connections to the Gülen movement, which is accused by the government of masterminding the coup attempt.

“I said all that as a result of pressure. Some of my remarks were recorded at the police station. My lawyer was visually handicapped and the police showed him where to sign,” said Kuzu, denying allegations of Gülen links.

The indictment was completed in only four months, considered unusually rapid given the average preparation time for indictments in Turkey. President Erdoğan also filed a criminal complaint against the suspects for allegedly trying to kill him in Marmaris.

Erdoğan called the botched coup a great gift of God as he immediately put the blame on the Gülen movement.

A report prepared by the EU Intelligence Analysis Centre (IntCen) revealed that although President Erdoğan and the Turkish government immediately put the blame for the July 15 failed coup on the Gülen movement, the coup attempt was staged by a range of Erdoğan’s opponents due to fears of an impending purge, according to a report by The Times newspaper on Jan. 17. (The SCF with turkishminute.com) Feb.21, 2017

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , February 21, 2017


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer asks MİT whether it wiretapped client’s phone

Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak, who represents Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has asked in a petition to the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) whether allegations suggesting Gülen’s phones had been wiretapped by the organization are true.

Of judges and coupists – Recent coup attempt in Turkey

Let me put it on record that I’m one of the few who strongly believe the alleged coup attempt could have been stage-managed to give Tayyip Recep Erdogan the justification to clamp down on real and perceived opponents to his ambition to rewrite the constitution and transfer the centre of executive power from the office of the Prime Minister to the office of the President, which he presently occupies.

Compensation case filed against Erdoğan for targeting Gülen-inspired schools

Fetih Educational Operations (Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri), which run schools affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, has filed a compensation case against President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for targeting these schools since the eruption of a major corruption scandal in December 2013.

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Many bureaucrats who are just doing their jobs and have no affiliation with any political groups now face [the prospect of] being dismissed with a claim of having links to the Hizmet movement. However, it is widely known that many of the bureaucrats discharged from their posts do not have any links with the movement,” Arslan said.

‘My 5-month old son is slowly going blind in prison,’ says jailed mother

Betül Selçuk, a physics teacher who has been held in pretrial detention for almost 11 months over alleged links to the Gülen movement, has told her lawyer that her 5-month-old son, Mehmet Selim, is slowly going blind in prison due to overheating and unhygienic conditions.

Albanian Ministry of Interior Violated Law in Trying to Deport Turkish National Selami Simsek

The Tirana Administrative Court of Appeal has concluded that the Ministry of the Interior acted illegally and bypassed UNHRC recommendations in its attempts to expel Turkish citizen, Selami Simsek.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Former Dutch FM: I don’t understand Erdoğan’s Hizmet hatred

Art exhibition tells story of deficiency

Kurdistan Regional Gov’t: Gulen-inspired schools will not be closed

Zaman Media Group receives 5 awards from WAN-IFRA

South Africa welcomes International Festival of Language

A Turkish couple spent their wedding day feeding 4,000 Syrian refugees

Government as a black propaganda machine

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News