After 50 days, Turkish university director out of Malaysian jail with UN refugee card

Ismet Ozcelik (centre) and his son Suheyl Ozcelik are seen with lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Mohd Hasani (left) outside the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) building in Kuala Lumpur January 31, 2017. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
Ismet Ozcelik (centre) and his son Suheyl Ozcelik are seen with lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Mohd Hasani (left) outside the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) building in Kuala Lumpur January 31, 2017. ― Picture by Yusof Mat Isa


Date posted: January 31, 2017

A. Ruban

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 31 ― A visiting Turkish university director who had yet to be convicted of any crime was finally released from the Sungai Buloh Prison after being conferred refugee status today.

Ismet Ozcelik, 57, was incarcerated since his arrest on December 13, allegedly for preventing Immigration officers from performing their duties last month, a crime punisable with up to two years imprisonment or a fine, or both.

He had entered Malaysia on a regular social visit pass to catch up with his son who was working here as a teacher. But a sudden turn of events last month now means he now requires the protected status of a refugee, conferred by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), to move around until his trial is dispensed with.

“He could not be released earlier because the Magistrate’s Court had denied him bail after the Immigration Department cancelled his social visit pass.

“But now with the UNHCR card, he can be released and will only need to return to court on February 20 for mention as the UNHCR identification supersedes the cancellation of his visa,” Ismet’s lawyer Muhammad Faizal Faiz Hasani told Malay Mail Online when contacted.

According to the lawyer, Ismet had been charged with a bailable offence, and had paid the bail on January 4.

Ismet was arrested last December 13 after he allegedly stopped some Immigration officers who were said to be dressed in plainclothes, from checking his passport at his son Suheyl’s house here.

Faizal said the officers had apparently tried to take away Ismet’s passport but was prevented from doing so with the help of Suheyl and three of his colleagues from the international school they work at.

When the police arrived, the Immigration officers told the police that they had been obstructed by the five from carrying out their public duties.

This resulted in the arrest of the five, who were later charged on December 23 under Section 353 of the Penal Code for using criminal force to deter a public servant from discharging his duty.

All of them were later released on bail except for Ismet despite this being a bailable offence, as the prosecution was of the view that he cannot be bailed, his lawyers said.

Faizal today claimed that the officers had acted as such after receiving a letter from the Turkish embassy that linked Ismet with the Gulen movement.

The Turkey-based movement claims to preach moderate Islam although some reports indicate that it is “terror organisation”.

“The Immigration officers had obviously acted hastily by arresting Ismet because in Malaysia, regardless of who you are, you will need to have a court order to arrest someone in such circumstances.

“In this case, the immigration officers did not obtain one,” Faizal said.

He added that Ismet was rushed to the Sungai Buloh hospital some 15 days ago after his condition deteriorated without the access to medications.

 

Source: The Malay Online , January 31, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gülen donates $10,000 for victims of Typhoon Haiyan disaster in Philippines

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen donated to the Kimse Yok Mu foundation $10,000 for the victims of the Typhoon Haiyan disaster in the Philippines. “According to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs [UNOCHA], 4.3 million people have been affected by the typhoon and 330,000 people are now homeless. Ninety percent of the houses in Tacloban city have been damaged,” AFAD stated recently.

A battle for power in Turkey faces resistance in Senegal

The closure of Yavuz Selim schools isn’t just a blow for its students, but also for the state of education in Senegal, a country where about one-third of children remain out of school. The schools had a reputation for excellence, ranking for years among Senegal’s best. Students got top scores in national exams, and went on to study at international universities.

The engagement and integration to the larger society is very crucial for Muslims

The engagement and integration to the larger society is very crucial for Muslims. There are many good qualities in secular societies which are Islamic such as right of education, freedom and housing. We should value them and play our part.

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) on Tuesday ruled that Bulgaria violated the rights of a Turkish journalist who had fled Ankara’s crackdown on dissent by deporting him without examining his asylum request.

Defamation – Turkey’s Justice Minister: Gülen Followers Take Christian Names To Infiltrate Western States

Turkey’s Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ said on Monday that followers of Gülen movement, change their Turkish names in order to infiltrate into the institutions of the Western states.

Karınca Yuvası (Ant Nest) from Turkish designers to Bangladeshi orphans

Eleven designers came together at a recent charity event coordinated by fashion designer Esra Seziş and actor Taylan Güner. There, they made a unanimous decision that each designer would create three pieces for auction, the revenue from which would be donated to orphans in need. They called this pact Karınca Yuvası (Ant Nest). The intention was sincere, and the results were magnificent.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

African village named ‘Turkiye’ to show thanks for humanitarian aid

Turkey deports former EU official for alleged Gulen-ties

Turkey’s Gulen movement sees a smear campaign

The Hizmet Community

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen gives first TV interview in 16 years

MİT to monitor all religious groups as potential parts of parallel state

Kimse Yok Mu to send aid for Syrian refugees with 50 TIRs

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News