Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (R) is seen speaking at a press conference in Bursa, Nov 28. AA photo
Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (R) is seen speaking at a press conference in Bursa, Nov 28. AA photo


Date posted: November 28, 2013

The row between followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement of and the Turkish government took another dimension after a daily revealed Nov. 28 that a decision from the National Security Council (MGK) recommending an action plan against the Gülen movement be signed by the government in 2004.

Government officials, however, wasted no time in making statements about the MGK decision and said it has never been enforced.

The decision made during the August 2004 National Security Council meeting includes a two-page section titled, “Measures that should be taken against Fetullah Gülen’s operations,” the daily Taraf reported Nov. 28.

“Legal regulations that introduce harsh sanctions should be adopted and an action plan [against the Gülen Movement] should be prepared,” says the decision, signed by the former President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, former Chief of General Staff Hilmi Özkök and current President Abdullah Gül, who was then foreign minister.

Tension between the government and the Gülen Movement, known in Turkish as “Cemaat” (community) or “Hizmet” (service), escalated recently after Erdoğan announced plans to abolish private examination prep schools (dershane), many of which are financed and run by Gülen’s followers. Erdoğan describes the group’s loud objections to his government’s plans as “a smear campaign.”

Although the Fethullah Gülen Movement is thought to have had close relations with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) until recently, the daily Taraf claimed the MGK document proved that a decision to “finish” the movement had already been made in 2004.

However, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç told reporters in the northwestern province of Bursa Nov. 28 he was not present in the meeting at the time, but added, “even if such a decision was made, it was only advisory.” He also stressed the government definitely did not follow through with the recommendations.

“In 11 years, none of the issues assumed to have been agreed in the MGK document happened and we didn’t do anything to hurt these people either,” Arınç said.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s chief political adviser, Yalçın Akdoğan, took to Twitter to also deny that the government had taken any steps following the MGK decision.

“The 2004 MGK decision was declared void by the government and no Cabinet meeting decision or action was taken,” he tweeted Nov. 28.

AKP Gaziantep deputy Şamil Tayyar also refuted claims that the government was plotting against the Gülen Movement, accusing some people of “causing trouble.”

“It is correct; the decision to finish Cemaat was made in 2004. Then the police department was appointed to the Cemaat, the number of dershanes and schools increased, and the shutdown case was issued against the AKP,” he tweeted sarcastically.

“When the supporters of the sedition are seen, it is understood the problem is not limited to those who attempt sedition,” Tayyar also said, in a way to criticize the attempt to create a rift between the government and Gülen community as well as the Gülen community for supporting such attempts.
Prime Ministry assigned as coordinator

The MGK’s advisory decision to pressure the government to form an action plan to fight against the Gülen Movement also allocated duties for a number of public institutions.

The Prime Ministry Monitoring and Coordination Board (BUTKK) was appointed as the coordinator, while the Internal Affairs Ministry, the Foreign Ministry and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) were asked to closely follow the movement’s operations inside and outside the country.

In addition, the Finance Ministry’s Financial Crime Investigation Board (MASAK) was also tasked with monitoring businesspeople granting money to Cemaat-related institutions and irregular money transactions, according to the decision.

The MGK decision also underlines the strong Cemaat presence in the student housing sector and calls on the Internal Affairs Ministry to closely watch “the group’s efforts to gain sympathizers and supporters.”

Some had claimed the prime minister’s recent criticisms of mixed-sex student houses were in fact targeting the Gülen Movement, which is known to provide dormitory-style private accommodation for young people.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 28, 2013


Related News

Gülen: Associating Hizmet with violent Kobani protests great slander

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said the attempts to depict the Hizmet movement as being linked to the recent violent protests across Turkey, triggered by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) siege of the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani, is a great slander, emphasizing that the movement has never been involved in any form of violence.

2,500 schools confiscated, 30,000 teachers dismissed over Gülen links

Turkish Education Ministry Undersecretary Yusuf Tekin on Sunday said they have completed a purge of Gülen movement members and institutions in his ministry, the DHA news agency reported.

Watch your mouth

One Turkish folk song says: “Chests are piled up on each other / Woe to us, o gallant people / We have made a promise without thinking / We held you in high esteem although you did not deserve it.”

University of Florida and the failed coup in Turkey

On July 15 in Istanbul, Turkey, soldiers closed the two bridges across the Bosphorus, the first indication that elements of the army were planning to remove the government of President Recip Tayyip Erdogan. In Ankara, the national capital, other soldiers took control of television stations and shelled the parliament building. President Erdogan had to use […]

Thousands pay final respects to Gülen’s brother in Erzurum

Seyfullah Gülen, who died at the age of 72 on Friday and was the brother of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, was laid to rest in a funeral attended by thousands of people in the eastern province of Erzurum on Sunday.

Filipino military awards Turkish high school for peace initiatives

The Armed Forces of the Philippines have recognized the Filipino-Turkish Tolerance School in Zamboanga for their contribution to peace in the region. The award came after the Turkish high school in the Philippines gave support to people suffering from internal conflict in Mindanao, one of the islands of the Philippines, and provided 38,000 homeless people with humanitarian assistance.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

The hype about the Gülen Movement

Islamic scholar Gülen warns Hizmet movement against possible plots

The Turkish Connection: Pak-Turk Schools

Even a village cannot be ruled this way

Turkey’s Gulen Demand – The U.S. shouldn’t extradite the exiled Turk without better evidence

NATO Insiders Suspect Turkey Coup Was Staged by Erdogan himself

German view of Hizmet Movement (1)

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News