US, Gülen to trigger artificial earthquake(!) in İstanbul, Ankara mayor says


Date posted: September 12, 2016

Ankara’s mayor Melih Gökçek claimed in series of tweets from his personal account on Saturday that external powers, including the US, is planning to trigger a artificial eartquake in İstanbul along with FETO, an acronym of Fethullahist Terrorist Organization which Turkish government circles use to refer Gülen Movement, inspired by the views of US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen.

“I had said FETO and US expects an earthquake in İstanbul in August 14 similar to the Gölcük eartquake in 1999. I ruined their plan after revealing in TVs. But the propoganda continues. The plan was to trigger an earthquake in İstanbul to destroy Turkey’s economy as US promised to FETO,” Gökçek wrote.

Gökçek also showed a recent news of a nuclear test by North Korea in sea that triggered an earthquake in a magnitude of 5.3.

“What I’m saying is absolutely not imaginary. I say it by believing and with insistence… External powers are planning an artificial earthquake in İstanbul to collapse our economy… The world should know this… Here is the solid and fresh proof of what I’m saying: North Korea has done a nuclear test in the sea and an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.3 happened!” he tweeted.

He also called on government to cancel permissions for all seismic observation works by foreign ships in the Marmara Sea, including France, as their observations also suggested an İstanbul earthquake is expected soon in a magnitude of

Gökçek is known for his controversial remarks and battle of words with opposition party members and even people from his own party. In one of his tweets, he asserted that Fethullah Gülen had jinns, with which he controlled people.

President Tayyip Erdoğan and Justice and Development Party (AKP) government accuse Gülen of masterminding the failed coup on July 15 and being behind the corruption investigations in December 2013 which implicated AKP government ministers and people from the inner circles of Erdoğan. Gülen and symphatizers of the movement strongly deny the accusations.

Pro-government newspapers as well as top state officials claimed earlier that the US itself was also among the perpetrators of the coup.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 11, 2016


Related News

Self-exiled Islamic scholar Gülen rejects Khomeini analogy for potential return to Turkey

I am not Iranian, how can I be like Khomeini? Nor have I ever had the pretensions that Khomeini had. I’m the child of my own country. If one day I return to Turkey, I will be the same as I’ve always been,” the U.S.-based Gülen said in a video-recorded message on March 5.

Abant Platform on Africa

For three days I will be away from Turkey’s increasingly suffocating internal politics. For this reason alone I am grateful to the Journalists and Writers Foundation, organizer of the Abant Platform on Africa. I think this three-day event will, among other things, show us, Turks, that there is a huge world outside Turkey and that we need to […]

Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

According to Dabiri-Erewa: “The Federal Government is taking the detention of Nigerian students by Turkish authorities seriously. It seems that Turkey is trying to get at Nigeria for our failure to close down the 17 schools they requested. The government did not close down these schools because their owners and managers, who are private people have not breached Nigerian laws.”

Liberia: Turkish School to Remain Open

The Government of Liberian says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

İsmail Eyüpoğlu (42), who has been living abroad for 25 years, lost his wife early in the morning on Saturday, February 3. He was straddled between the idea of going back to Turkey with his children and bid farewell to his wife for 18 years in her last journey and on the other hand, the fear of being arrested at the airport and sadden his two children.

Anti-democratic practices after graft probe reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

A number of anti-democratic moves that began after the launch of the corruption probe, including the reassignment of thousands of civil servants, including police officers and members of the judiciary, as well as discrimination against members of the faith-based Hizmet movement, are similar to the events of the Feb. 28 period.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

GYV organized peace conference at United Nation

The Remarkable Scale of Turkey’s “Global Purge”

Turkey rolls up sleeves to reach out to needy at home, abroad on Eid al-Adha

International panel on Mary was held in Istanbul

Fethullah Gülen’s Eid message: Let’s pray for each other

Canberra followers of Fethullah Gulen afraid to return to Turkey

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News