Kurdistan Regional Gov’t: Gulen-inspired schools will not be closed

Northern Iraq Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani
Northern Iraq Kurdistan Region President Masoud Barzani


Date posted: August 4, 2016

HizmetNews.Com

There are 20 schools serving to 12,719 students in Northern Iraq Kurdish Region. Kurdistan Regional Government announced that the 20 schools affiliated with the Gulen movement will not be shut down.

There were rumors in the media, in the aftermath of the coup attempt on July 15, about the closure of the Gulen inspired schools.

The announcement clarified that the KRG Government did not sent any decree to the ministries about either closure of the schools or how they will be managed in the future. The announcement said, “The benefits and future of our students are above everything and the schools will not be closed.”

Originally published in Turkish on T24 on August 3, 2016

 


Related News

Turkey urges KRG to consider Gulen Movement a “Terrorist Organization”

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region. Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

EP’s Rebecca Harms Visited Turkish Educator Çabuk In Georgian Prison

Rebecca Harms, a member of the European Parliament and co-president of the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly visited Mustafa Emre Çabuk, a Turkish school administrator who was arrested by Georgian authorities last year at the request of the Turkish government, on Thursday according to her post on her Twitter account.

Political raids targeting educational institutions a ‘hate crime’

Samanyolu Education Foundation’s Lawyer Selamet Şen has stated that the measures constitute to nothing more than a hate crime and discrimination, underlining that the institutions are both open for inspections which they have passed with flying colors.

Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia

Stockholm Centre of Freedom (SCF) has called on the Malaysian government to halt its dirty bidding on behalf of the growingly repressive Turkish government led by President Recep Erdogan, following the arrest and deportation of three Turkish nationals from Kuala Lumpur.

Erdoğan has to respect civil society

ŞAHİN ALPAY Colleagues and friends ask me, “What is the reason for the feud between the government and the Gülen movement and between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Fethullah Gülen?” This is, briefly, my response. In Turkey the demand for education is very high. Universities are unable to meet the demand and there are […]

Turkey dismisses another 330 academics, brings total to 7,316

A total of 330 academics were dismissed in a new government decree, issued on Tuesday, bringing the total number of academics who lost their jobs after a failed coup on July 15 to 7,316.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish editor hits out at media coercion under Erdoğan

Turkish-American community grapples with Turkey coup’s aftermath

“Somalis will remember your aid”

‘Pool media’ court case against Zaman daily tossed out

Turkish gov’t jails yet another woman with 25-day-old baby

Turkey pays a price for purging counterterror professionals

Terrorism charges against Karaca do not make sense, CHP leader says

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News