Sweden delays sending back Erdogan dissenters


Date posted: August 3, 2016

The decision covers “people with credible connection to the attempted coup on July 15th” in Turkey, where an attempted military takeover was foiled after President Recap Tayyip Erdogan rallied supporters to quash the move.

The group considered by the Migration Agency to be at potential risk includes supporters of Turkish opposition leader Fethullah Gülen, whom Ankara has named as responsible for the coup attempt against Erdogan.

People who have taken part in “credible political opposition” are also part of the risk group, the Migration Agency writes on its website. The decision was taken on July 18th and is valid until further notice.

The migration authority also says that decisions on granting asylum to members of the concerned groups may be temporarily delayed because the agency believes further information on the “political and safety situation in Turkey” is needed.

The Swedish Migration Agency also advised that the situation in Turkey does not hinder tourist transfers via Istanbul or other Turkish airports.

Erdogan has responded to the failed coup by closing dozens of media outlets, while he also demanded last week that Germany should extradite supporters of Gulen, as well as for Gulen himself to be extradited by the USA, where he lives.

Source: The Local SE , August 3, 2016


Related News

Kosovo investigates seizure of Turkish nationals

Kosovo authorities are investigating the arrest and extradition of six Turkish citizens, which activists said represented a violation of human rights, Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj said on Saturday.

Erdogan’s bid to close Gulen schools in Africa opposed

Several African states have rejected Turkey’s request to close schools run by the Hizmet movement. Turkish President Erdogan accused Fethullah Gulen, who owns Hizmet, of involvement in the failed July 15 coup. When Turkish President Erdogan visited Uganda and Kenya in May, he sought to stamp out the influence of the Islamic cleric Gulen. He accused the preacher of using his connections to try to overthrow him, allegations which Gulen denied.

Despite blocking accounts, Kimse Yok Mu able to collect donations

Despite the latest step in a government crackdown on Turkey’s UN-affiliated aid organization, Kimse Yok Mu, in which two banks blocked the organization’s accounts, administrators for the charity have said they are still able to collect money through their other accounts.

An interesting debate in the European Parliament

It is known that European parliamentarians already talk to people close to Hizmet, so this refusal was interesting. It can even give the impression that the Turkish government is putting pressure on the EP. Of course, Turkey hasn’t that kind of power; if we did, we would have become an EU member years ago. The other impression is that the Hizmet movement is trying to influence the EP’s work.

Turkey’s Curious Coup – positions of the Turkish Government, Gulen Movement and Turkey’s Western allies

Within days of the coup attempt, James Clapper, the then-Director of US National Intelligence, said that they had not seen any intelligence indicating Gülen’s involvement. Bruno Kahl, head of Germany’s BND foreign intelligence agency, said during an interview in March 2017 that he did not believe Gülen was behind the coup.

Turkey: Post-coup prisoner says threatened with rape, beaten almost to death

In the latest of firsthand letters revealing the re-emergence of torture in Turkish prisons, an Antalya arrestee reportedly said he was beaten so badly that he blacked out for some time and was also threatened with rape.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Had the Kurds believed in Said-i Kurdi, their children wouldn’t have died

Intel chief first gives anti-Hizmet file to Obama, then visits Gülen, STV president Karaca says

Black propaganda websites granted legal shield

Pro-Rashid Dostum Afghan security forces raided Afghan-Turk Boys High School in Shibirghan

Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation To Contribute Radicalism, Exacerbate Muslim-Christian Tension In African Countries

Another woman faces detention just after giving birth: opposition deputy

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I Call For An International Investigation Into The Failed Putsch In Turkey’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News