Post-coup Turkey sliding into terror regime: Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk


Date posted: September 12, 2016

Prominent Turkish novelist and recipient of the 2006 Nobel Prize in literature, Orhan Pamuk, has criticized the government’s large-scale crackdown in the aftermath of the failed July 15 coup, warning that Turkey is heading toward “a regime of terror.”

“In Turkey, we are dramatically putting behind bars all those who struggle for freedom of expression, and criticize the government even slightly,” Pamuk said on Sunday.

The 64-year-old author argued that the ongoing heavy-handed crackdown is being driven by “the most ferocious hatred,” adding, “Freedom of thought no longer exists. We are distancing ourselves at high speed from a state of law and heading towards a regime of terror.”

 

Pamuk, who is known to be a vocal critic of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, also called for the immediate release of all detained intellectuals and their fair trial as free individuals.

Pamuk’s remarks came a day after Turkish police forces arrested well-known journalist, Ahmet Altan, and his brother, Mehmet Altan, as part of an investigation into those suspected of affiliation to the network of US-based cleric, Fethullah Gulem, who Ankara accuses of having masterminded the botched putsch.

Ahmet was a columnist with major Turkish-language Hurriyet and Milliyet newspapers before he founded the liberal and opposition daily Taraf in November 2007.

He stepped down as Taraf editor in chief in 2012, and has written several novels. Taraf was closed under a statutory decree due to its alleged links with the Gulen movement.

Mehmet Altan, a renowned academic and economist, is the author of several books on politics in Turkey.

The Hurriyet newspaper reported that Altan brothers were being investigated over comments in a talk show broadcast on Can Erzincan TV, a station known for its critical stance against the government, on the eve of the failed coup. The newspaper did not provide any information about the content of the talk show.

A faction of the Turkish military declared itself in charge of the country on the night of July 15. Renegade military personnel made use of battle tanks and helicopters to fight loyalists to the incumbent government in Ankara and Istanbul.

The coup attempt was suppressed as people turned out on the streets to support Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development Party.

At least 246 people were killed and more than 2,100 others sustained injuries in the coup attempt.

Gulen has condemned the coup attempt and denied any involvement in the violence.

Turkey’s resigned interior minister, Efkan Ala, said last month that the number of individuals detained for questioning or arrested in the aftermath of the failed coup is nearly 100,000. By far, the largest number of dismissals from government jobs has been in education sector.

Ala also announced that Turkey looks to hiring 20,000 additional armed services personnel to replace those removed.

Source: PressTV , September 11, 2016


Related News

Hizmet’s approach to politics and politicians

Hizmet movement gets its strength from this independence. Because the movement gets money from no other sources than its own volunteers, it does not take orders. No doubt this is why certain people are made so uncomfortable right now by the Hizmet movement.

No evidence Gulen movement is guilty of subversive activities

The suggestion that Mr Gulen intends to create a new religious political order in Turkey is untrue. He has spoken against political Islam and has always supported a democratic system. In one of his speeches, he explained: “Islam does not propose a certain unchangeable form of government or attempt to shape it.

Islamic scholar Gülen urges followers to remain calm in face of insults

Fethullah Gülen, the inspiration behind the Hizmet movement, which Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan continues to insult and target with a smear campaign, threatening to pursue criminal proceeding against it, has urged his followers to remain calm and avoid making inflammatory remarks about those who appeal to insults.

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

A Supreme Court of Appeals member until he was dismissed, Mustafa Erdogan has been kept in a holding cell at a private hospital since Dec. 30, 2016. His daughter Buket Erdogan said the top judge was denied right to “trial without arrest” although he was paralysed after a surgery on his brain.

Police pressure businessmen who sued Erdoğan over Hizmet remarks

On one day, police paid a visit both to the residence and workplace of the businessman, who requested to remain anonymous, even though there had not been any violation of law on his part. Asking arbitrary questions at the businessman’s residence, such as, “Why did you sue the prime minister?”, “What does your husband [the businessman] do?”, “Do you own the house or is it rental?” and “Do you have a car?”, the police asked for the mobile phone number of the businessman and left. The policeman said that they came from the Tepebaşı Police Station in Ankara.

Turkish teacher kidnapped in Mongolia freed after authorities ground flight

A Turkish teacher, who was allegedly kidnapped in the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar and taken to the city’s airport, has been released after authorities temporarily grounded an airplane, according to local media and a social media posting by the man.

Latest News

This notable Pocono resident has been living here in exile since 1999

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

That is Why the Turkish Government could Pay 1 Billion Euros

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

In Case You Missed It

Former Somali minister grateful to Kimse Yok Mu

Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Turkish court jails 17 housewives over alleged coup involvement

Gülen Speaks to Süddeutsche Zeitung daily, warns of on-going witch hunt against Hizmet

Amnesty laments treatment of Turkey purge victims

Fethullah Gulen on ‘GPS’: Failed Turkey coup looked ‘like a Hollywood movie’

Copyright 2021 Hizmet News