Suspicious raid against Hizmet-affiliated highschool famous for its success

Four tax inspectors from the Finance Ministry with 40 police officers carried out a raid as part of the government-backed operation targeting the Hizmet movement at the private Burç High School in the Çukurova district of southern province of Adana, opened by volunteers of the Hizmet movement.
Four tax inspectors from the Finance Ministry with 40 police officers carried out a raid as part of the government-backed operation targeting the Hizmet movement at the private Burç High School in the Çukurova district of southern province of Adana, opened by volunteers of the Hizmet movement.


Date posted: March 22, 2015

The raid came just two days after Turkey’s Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) announced the results of the Higher Education Entrance Examination (YGS), which revealed that students from Gülen-inspired schools are among the top scorers of the exam, casting doubt on the objectivity of the raid.

Parents of the students at Burç High School, affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, see the raid as part of a government-sponsored defamation campaign.

Çukurova Burç High School was raided over alleged violations of Tax Procedural Law by school administrators. Reacting against the raid, Burç Schools General Manager Sultan Sözeri said auditors could “inspect the school whenever they want.”

Expressing that the raid was aimed at creating a negative image, Sözeri said, “I know that some parents who see this situation will be more willing to send their children to our school.”

Sözeri stated that the school was inspected just one month ago by the ministry, adding that the search and the raid were illegal.

“The top scorers from the province in the most recent YGS were from Çukurova Burç College. We think that with the raid is trying to overshadow the school’s successes,” Sözeri added.

The Hizmet movement has been targeted by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government since a corruption probe came to public attention on Dec. 17, 2013, implicating senior members of the administration. Erdoğan, who refers to the movement as the “parallel state” or “parallel structure,” accuses it of being behind the corruption operation. Those in the movement strongly deny the claim.

Erdoğan and the government have taken action to ensure the closure of schools operated by Gülen followers in many countries around the world. Gülen-inspired institutions and schools in Turkey are also under intense pressure from the government. On many occasions, Erdoğan asked his supporters not to send their children to schools, dormitories or prep courses affiliated with the movement. In May of last year, for example, then-Prime Minister Erdoğan publicly advised supporters of the ruling AK Party not to send their children to schools inspired by Gülen. “We will not even give water to them [members of Gülen movement],” he vowed.

He also ordered officials at AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to the Gülen movement by any means.

Source: BGNNews , March 21, 2015


Related News

IFLC: Promoting Intercultural Dialogue

In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, there are institutions linked to “Hizmet” or “volunteer movement” better known as “Gulen Movement”, by the name of the person who inspired it, Fethullah Gulen, Turkey. It is an educational, intercultural and interfaith movement, transnational, with a presence in almost every country in the world. These institutions in the Dominican […]

Approval rate of Turkish schools abroad at 78 percent

Research company Veritas conducted a survey in July 2013 with 4,296 people in face-to-face interviews in 42 provinces in an effort to measure the approval rate of the Turkish Olympiads that are organized annually.
Accordingly, 67 percent of the respondents expressed a positive opinion of these language olympiads while only 8 percent expressed a negative view.

Foreign students express bewilderment over gov’t bid to close Turkish schools

Foreign students who are graduates of schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement all around the world, have expressed bewilderment over the government’s plan to shut down the schools, saying that the Turkish government is making a grave mistake in targeting these schools as they are renowned and praised for their high-quality education by foreigners.

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu drills 1,396 wells in Africa

A total of 1,396 wells have been drilled in 13 African countries since Nov. 1, 2014, as part of a project called “Selsebil Water Wells,” which was launched by Turkish charitable organization Kimse Yok Mu in 2011, in cooperation with Fatih University students and Genç-İz Academy Association members.

Another AK Party deputy, Muhammed Çetin, resigns in protest

Çetin reportedly asked AK Party deputies Volkan Bozkır and Ali Aşlık about their shoebox numbers. His joke prompted other deputies to tell the incident to the party administration, which outraged with the joke and referred Çetin to the disciplinary committee with request of expulsion.

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

“The espionage agents around the Turkish religious authorities go beyond Germany,” the article read adding that “not only were the names of persons transmitted” but also activities by the Gülen movement-affiliated schools, day-care centers, cultural and student associations reported to Turkey.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

8-year-old cancer patient departs to Germany for treatment without parents due to ongoing travel ban

The story of the government media’s smear campaign against Hizmet

Turkey as a “serial” human rights derogator

Peace Islands Institute Celebrates 10th Anniversary

Filling the gap left by Gulen

Turkish feast in Madagascar

Fethullah Gülen speaks at UN

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News