Overwhelming public response in support of Bank Asya

A public outcry against the raid and temporary management takeover of Bank Asya has seen countless customers depositing their money in support.
A public outcry against the raid and temporary management takeover of Bank Asya has seen countless customers depositing their money in support.


Date posted: February 10, 2015

Solidarity campaigns against the Banking Regulation Supervision Agency’s (BDDK) decision to have the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) temporarily take over the management of Bank Asya have been springing up across the nation.

The raid and management take over, conducted amidst the heavy presence of police and water cannons on shaky legal grounds, was intended to scare customers into withdrawing their money and sinking the bank. Instead scores of customers across the nation visited their local branches and deposited their earnings to defy the BDDK.

Police efforts to further intimidate by recording those who participated in the solidarity campaigns were ignored by the loyal customers who responding by waving at the cameras pointed at them by the security forces.

One such solidarity campaign took place in Gaziantep, with citizens arriving in front of the bank early in the morning to protest the BDDK decision and deposit their money. One participant, Sema Kömürcü, told Bugün “We’re not here just to support Bank Asya but in support of the entire Turkish economy. It isn’t just about standing up for Bank Asya, it’s about standing up for Turkey, about standing up for democracy.”

Another loyal customer was retiree Muhammet Nami Güzeler from the southeastern city of Malatya, who said he had already sold his apartment in the city center and come to the bank to deposit the money. He added he was also trying to sell his two cars so he could deposit that money as well.

Source: BGNNews , February 10, 2015


Related News

Turkish police to plant Gülen’s books in ISIL cells, journalist claims

In the latest of an ever-growing demonization of Fethullah Gülen at the hands of Turkish government, police are set to deliberately put his books in ISIL cells in a bid to reveal an alleged connection between the cleric and the terrorist organization, according to a Turkish journalist.

Ishak Alaton: Fethullah Gülen is the most “other” in Turkey

The AK Party government, which seems to be without an alternative and lacks an equally dominant opposition to check and balance it, is in big trouble, which they are not fully aware of, says Alarko Holding Chairman İshak Alaton.

Refugees from Erdogan’s Turkey seek to make a new life in Germany

Murat spent six months in a Turkish prison, followed by a considerable time in hiding after his release. As soon as he could, he made good his escape to Germany. As a trained lawyer and legal adviser to an influential association, he had a good life in his home country, living with his family in an upmarket area.

Turkey seeks three consecutive life sentences for Zaman journalists on coup charges

An indictment prepared by an İstanbul prosecutor seeks three consecutive life sentences for 30 individuals who include journalists and executives from the now-closed Zaman daily on coup charges. The daily, which was affiliated with the Gülen movement, was first seized by the Turkish government in March 2016 and the closed down in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Turkey’s Opposition Fails a Critical Test: To Challenge Erdogan

The CHP’s inability to seize the moment and strongly condemn the arbitrary extent and nature of the purges from the start was a critical failure, and one that serves to undermine its integrity and sustainability as an opposition force. Despite tentative but welcome signs from the CHP towards highlighting the exponential injustices of Turkey’s ongoing purge, it still seems like a classic case of acting too little, too late.

Gov’t media maintain attack on Bank Asya

Turkish daily Yeni Akit, with close links to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, reported on Sunday that Bank Asya extended loans to certain Turkish-owned companies abroad and failed to collect these loan debts.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Movie Selam actress sponsors orphanage in Sudan

Gülen’s teachings to be taught at Belarus universities

Turkish President Gül: Turkish schools abroad largest non-state project

Turkic Cultural Exchange and Community Dialogue

Fortunately, we have not closed Gülen schools

PM Erdoğan: Internet bill protesters are defenders of immorality

A solid step in Gulen movement Alevite community dialogue: Mosque-cemevi-soup kitchen project

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News