Erdogan pushes to close down Gulen-inspired Turkish schools in Africa

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan meets with Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn on Thursday. (Photo: DHA)
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan meets with Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn on Thursday. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: January 22, 2015

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is pressing ahead for the closure of Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement (Hizmet movement) of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen in African countries.

“In countries we visit, we have been talking about the status of these schools and saying they should be closed down,” Erdoğan was quoted as saying by the state Anadolu news agency during a visit to Ethiopia on Thursday.

Erdoğan also said he has been telling African authorities that the Turkish Education Ministry is ready to offer the same service provided by these schools. “The ministry is close to finishing its preparations to that effect,” he said.

The Turkish president has declared Gülen’s Hizmet movement, a former ally, a treasonous enemy after a corruption scandal involving people in his inner circle that erupted with a wave of detentions on Dec. 17, 2013. He openly declared last year that he would do whatever it takes to eliminate the “parallel structure,” a term of his invention to refer to alleged sympathizers of the movement within the state bureaucracy, even if this requires a “witch-hunt.”

There are more than 100 Gülen-inspired schools in Africa, as well as other parts of the world. The government praised these schools in the past as key institutions promoting Turkish culture abroad.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 22, 2015


Related News

The latest step by AKP-Gov’t witch-hunt against Hizmet Movement

In Turkey, the increasing pressure over the freedom of press, property rights and authoritarianism have reached an alarming level. A recent report on the rule of law and respect for human rights inTurkey declared that Turkish government had been perpetrating systematic human rights violations since December 2013.

Fenerbahçe’s Yıldırım calls on fans to attend protest

“We consider the dissemination … of wiretaps of Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi’s conversations an operation, and we condemn and refuse to accept these kinds of activities,” Yıldırım said. Gülen filed criminal complaints over the illegal wiretaps and against the media outlets and websites that published the distorted voice recordings in an attempt to defame the scholar.

Gülen-inspired schools and SMOs

Muhammed Çetin In an attempt to distract the public from Fethullah Gülen’s acquittal by Turkey’s top court and perturbed by his top ranking in Foreign Policy magazine’s poll, elements of the Turkish media are using a lawyer’s wording in an attempt to engineer a setback for Gülen. In the brief submitted by US Citizenship and […]

TÜBİTAK changes olympiad scoring system, penalizes private schools

The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) has changed the scoring system it uses to evaluate student grades in science olympiads it sponsors, giving private schools a smaller coefficient and thereby placing students from these schools at a disadvantage.

Afghan official lauds Turkey’s education drive

ŞEYMA AKKOYUNLU, İSTANBUL A top Afghan official has praised Turkey’s efforts to boost education and help in restructuring Afghanistan, saying Turkish assistance to the country was unparalleled. “Turkey has a very special place in Afghanistan. It is the only Muslim country in NATO, and the Afghan people trust Turkey. The source of this trust is […]

Turkish-Mongolian ties to reach new heights

The ties between Turkey and Mongolia, which have remained relatively modest so far, are expected to get a substantial boost with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s visit this week. “Erdoğan’s visit will give a great impetus to bilateral relations,” Badamdorj Batkhishig, Mongolian ambassador to Ankara, has said. There are currently 56 Turkish companies in Mongolia, […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish-American community grapples with Turkey coup’s aftermath

British law firm hired by AK Party gov’t launches defamation campaign against Gülen movement

Russian expert: Kimse Yok Mu is in no way a terrorist organization

Talking with the “Religious Terrorist” that Turkey Wants Trump to Extradite

Fethullah Gülen strongly condemns US consulate attack, extends condolences

Being a Non-Muslim During Ramadan

Kimse Yok Mu aid delivered to the Afghan flood victims

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News