Gülen says praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, Nigerian people


Date posted: May 10, 2014

PENNSYLVANIA

 
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said he is praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, their families and the Nigerian people, calling on the kidnappers to immediately free the girls.

Gülen described the kidnapping as a “saddening” incident in a statement he released on Saturday and condemned the “inhumane and meaningless action.”

“I invite the kidnappers to immediately free the girls,” Gülen said about nearly 300 girls kidnapped in Nigeria by Boko Haram militants.

Boko Haram terrorist network claimed responsibility for the April 15 kidnapping of 276 teenage girls from their boarding school in Chibok, in northeastern Borno state. The insurgents threatened to sell the young women into slavery.

Gülen said the right to education is among fundamental human rights that are guaranteed under Islam for both men and women and that attempting to restrict these rights is a mistake and will only serve to some personal and political thoughts.

“Our Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) and women who came after him during the golden period have undertaken important roles in many spheres including education and trade,” Gülen added.

He said he has always believed that education, be it for boys or girls, is the healthiest way to realize high humanistic potential in the nature of youth and that he has always stressed this. He stated that noble humanistic values such as respect to people and the rule of law could be taught to young generations through education and characters equipped with these values could be constructed. He noted that the education is also the best antidote against ignorance — the source of many social problems.

“While kidnapping of schoolgirls in Nigeria is a violation of rights of the students and their families, the incident also underscores the need for an understanding for an integrated education that could result in high human values,” Gülen said. He said at the end of the statement that he is praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, their families and the Nigerian people.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 10, 2014


Related News

Foreign students express bewilderment over gov’t bid to close Turkish schools

Foreign students who are graduates of schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement all around the world, have expressed bewilderment over the government’s plan to shut down the schools, saying that the Turkish government is making a grave mistake in targeting these schools as they are renowned and praised for their high-quality education by foreigners.

New developments regarding Gülen movement

MURAT YETKIN FROM RADIKAL DAILY I was first introduced to the Fethullah Gülen-inspired schools when I visited them as a journalist while following trips abroad by former President Süleyman Demirel. Since then I have been wondering why the Turkish state is reluctant to make use of such a great opportunity. By “state” I do not […]

Prime Minister Erdogan’s Revenge

Mr. Erdogan has disparaged his political adversaries as traitors, terrorists and an alliance of evil. In his postelection speech, he repeatedly mentioned Pennsylvania and suggested the government would take aim at Mr. Gulen’s supporters, possibly with mass arrests.

EP condemns media crackdown in name of rule of law, press freedom

The European Parliament on Thursday condemned the Turkish government’s attempt to silence critical media by launching raids on media institutions and detaining journalists on Dec.14, saying the steps taken by the Turkish government against the media raises questions about the rule of law and freedom of the media in the country.

Turkey’s ‘black box’ must be opened

The recent debate on tutoring centers and private prep schools and the shocking revelations on the dirty warfare used in the 1990s against the Kurdish population are certainly parts of this pressure-cooker-like mood. It is obvious that “Erdoğan’s Way” of running the country is based on keeping tension just under control, so that it will serve his own ambitions to cement personal power.

Condemnation and condolence message on occasion of the terror attack against a school bus in Mogadishu, Somalia

The terror attack in Somalia’s city of Mogadishu on a school bus, which resulted in the loss of five beautiful friends and the injuries of others, among whom were school-aged children, has once again wrenched our hearts already wounded by recent tragedies.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

GYV gathers politicians, diplomats at iftar dinner in Turkish capital

Lawyer rejects alleged Gülen remarks published by leftist daily

Kimse Yok Mu first to respond to call for Crimea

Purge In Turkey Worries Kansas City Emigres

IFLC’s ‘colors of the world’ takes stage in Brazil

AK Party Deputy Chairman Huseyin Celik: Turkish teachers beat the odds

Return to Turkey or lose citizenship, gov’t tells Gülen followers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News