Egypt’s Turkish schools reject Akşam and A Haber TV reports


Date posted: April 25, 2014

EGYPT

The administration of the Turkish Salahaldin International Schools based in Egypt has sent a correction to the Akşam daily and A Haber TV station, stating that two recent reports about Turkish schools in Egypt appearing in the pro-government media outlets were baseless and false.

The Akşam and A Haber TV reports suggested that these Turkish schools, which are affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement, supported Egypt’s ex-army chief Abdel Fattah el-Sisi when he led the overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi in July of last year.

The correction text, signed by Turkish Salahaldin International Schools General Manager Orhan Keskin and sent to the Akşam daily, said the claim that Turkish schools in Egypt had supported the ousting of former President Morsi was false. Another correction expressed in the text concerned a show aired on A Haber TV that reported on el-Sisi’s visit to the Turkish schools in Egypt, allegedly to thank them for helping his rise to power. According to the correction text, such a visit never took place.

The Akşam daily had published a lead story on its April 22 edition asserting that the Turkish schools in Egypt helped prepare the toppling of then-President Morsi ahead of July 3, 2013, when the coup took place in the country. The story had also claimed that after taking office el-Sisi visited these schools to express his gratitude.

Another allegation mentioned by A Haber TV on March 24 was that the foreign teachers working in Turkish schools were American spies supported by the el-Sisi administration. The correction text said the allegations had no basis in evidence. It also stated that the administrators and teachers serving in Turkish schools have no political involvement, as families from various political views send their children to these schools.

According to the text, following the July 3 coup the staff of Turkish schools has not held any meetings with the current administration in Egypt or el-Sisi. The text also pointed out that neither the Akşam daily nor A Haber TV have contacted the Turkish schools in Egypt to ask for confirmation of their reports.

Source: Cihan , April 24, 2014


Related News

Özfatura: Erdoğan does not want civil society that is not pro-AK Party

Dr. Burhan Özfatura was witnessed the meetings of former President Turgut Özal and former Prime Minister Tansu Çiller with Fethullah Gülen. He says: “Both asked what they can do for him. Gülen told them not to believe anybody who asks for a favor by referring to himself.”

Pakistani rights group calls for immediate release of abducted Turkish principal, family

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has called for the immediate release of Mesut Kaçmaz, the former principal of a Turkish school in Pakistan, and his family, who were reportedly abducted by Pakistani police in Lahore in the early hours of Wednesday.

Turkish Schools Win Five Medals in a Project Competition in Romania

HAYRI GUL, MUSTAFA GUN Turkish Schools have signed their names to a huge success by winning five medals in the 3rd International Info Matrix Computer Project Competition organized in Romania. Six schools from various cities in Turkey took part in the international project competition “Info Matrix 2005” organized by the Lumina Education Institutions. Turkish schools […]

Is Anybody Out There?

In Turkey today, relief organization Kimse Yokmu, affiliated with the Fethullah Gulen inspired Hizmet movement has become the target of repeated attacks by Turkey’s political neo-tyrants, the most prominent of whom is President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Conferences on Hizmet movement in Egypt attracted masses

CUMALİ ÖNAL, AMR MUSTAFA | CAIRO In the three conferences held in three different cities in Egypt, the Egyptians, especially youngsters and students, flooded the conference rooms in order to understand the “Hizmet Movement” (aka Gulen movement) and Fethullah Gulen. Especially in the third and last day of the conference that was held in the world-wide famous […]

Hakan Şükür’s resignation blamed on lack of intra-party democracy

Şükür, a former international football player, left Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling party in protest against the government’s plan to shut down exam preparatory schools, revealing the intra-party divisions below the surface. The resignation came after Şükür objected to the government proposal to close these schools, which help students prepare for university and high school admission exams.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Conspiracy theory par excellence [against Gülen movement]

Serbia seeks agriculture investments from Turkey

Excitement of Turkish Olympiads felt in Ethiopia

Turkey Should Protect All Prisoners from Pandemic

Who is the winner?

Teacher arrested after repairman found Gülen’s audio CD in computer

Morocco and Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News