Friends of Hrant slam gov’t attempt to associate Dink murder with Gülen movement

The Friends of Hrant held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)
The Friends of Hrant held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: January 25, 2015

MÜRSEL GENÇ/ MUSTAFA ARSLAN/ / ISTANBUL

A group called Friends of Hrant Dink, including lawmakers and activists, has harshly criticized the government’s recent attempt to associate the Dink’s murder with the Gülen movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling onauthorities to expose the real criminals behind the murder.

The group held a press conference in front of Çağlayan Courthouse before the eighth hearing in the retrial of the Dink murder on Friday. Speaking on behalf of the group, Cumhuriyet columnist Aydın Engin said that there are attempts to link the murder with one individual or a group. Referring to the “parallel structure,” a term invented by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to the Gülen movement (Hizmet movement), Engin said: “There are attempts being made to associate the murder with a nondescript structure called ‘parallel.’ However, we have known from the beginning that it was a murder of national reconciliation.”

A court overseeing the retrial of the Dink murder postponed the trial to April 28.

Engin said the trial is nothing more than a show, adding that concealed evidence, suspected public officials being promoted instead of convicted and court decisions have made them all pessimistic. Stating that the Dink murder has so far been used by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) for various political reasons, Engin said that the government is trying to blame the Gülen movement for it. The government has been in conflict with the movement since a corruption scandal that implicated various high-ranking state officials was made public on Dec. 17, 2013.

The columnist claimed that Dink was murdered as a result of a cooperation between police, soldiers, the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and some provocateurs. “We know the names of most of the public officials involved in the murder. They cannot make us believe in this deceit. They cannot confine this trial only to the parallel [structure] or any other particular structure,” he said. He also said the state network behind the murder should be revealed and all the criminals should be punished.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 23, 2015


Related News

AK Party’s power poisoning

The AK Party is still committed to making its identity dominant and transforming the state; its attempt to eliminate the Hizmet movement from the bureaucracy and the judiciary without relying on any legal evidence is a good sign of this.

Questions for the government regarding prep school closure

BÜLENT KENEŞ What we have concluded after discussing the government’s plan to shut down prep schools for the past 12 days is that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is resolved to proceed with the plan. In this process we have understood that no argument about prep schools’ contributions to education, pedagogy, the principle of equal […]

Diplomatic solution: Pak-Turk schools may not be shut down after all

OONIB AZAM / SARFARAZ MEMON / Z ALI / RIAZUL HAQ Uncertainty surrounds the future of Pak-Turk schools in the country. In the wake of the foiled military coup in Turkey, the country’s ambassador to Pakistan has urged for the shutdown of all Pak-Turk schools and colleges which belong to the alleged US-based ‘mastermind of […]

Operation against whom?

A claim made this past weekend by Hüseyin Gülerce, a senior columnist for the Zaman daily, affiliated with the Gülen (Hizmet) movement, increased tensions in Ankara when he suggested that a major operation will be carried out by the government against the Gülen movement, which it believes to be behind the graft investigation.

Gülen’s speech broadcast live for first time after website banned

A speech by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania in self-imposed exile, was broadcast live on YouTube and a number of stations for the first time on Sunday, after Turkey’s state-controlled Internet watchdog blocked access to herkul.org, a website that previously was used to broadcast his speeches.

Bulgaria, the state sentenced to compensate Turkish journalist

The European Court of Human Rights condemned Bulgaria for the 2016 extradition of a Turkish journalist, hastily handed over to the Turkish authorities who accused him of being part of the Fehtullah Gülen movement, in violation of national and international rules.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu organizes international cartoon competition: ‘Refugees’

Turkish PM asks citizens for help in witch-hunt against Gülen sympathizers

America’s Friends Get Arrested in Turkey’s Post-Coup Purges

Turkish schools in Africa important for strong relations

Fatih University wins European Universities Championship

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

Erdoğan’s house of cards

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News