600 complaints filed alleging slander, libel against Gülen


Date posted: March 29, 2014

ANKARA

A total of 600 complaints have been filed against those who have slandered and libeled Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17 of last year.

In the months since the corruption scandal broke, Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, has filed complaints some 600 times against those who have defamed Gülen. Nearly 500 of those complaints were filed with the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has political immunity, and therefore no criminal complaints may be filed against him, but Gülen’s lawyer has filed slander suits against Erdoğan. Gülen’s lawyer has also filed a separate suit against Prime Minister Erdoğan accusing him of violating Gülen’s personal rights and inciting hatred and fuelling hostility in society with hate speech used at Erdoğan’s party rallies.

The Hizmet movement inspired by Gülen, its supporters and Gülen himself have been exposed to a large-scale defamation campaign conducted by circles close to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) since a major corruption scandal that implicated four government ministers and many other state bureaucrats and high-ranking individuals. The government accuses Gülen and his movement of being behind what he says is a fabricated corruption investigation aimed at toppling his government. Several top government officials have used unsubstantiated and harsh defamatory expressions with reference to Gülen at almost every recent meeting or AK Party rally.

In addition to libel suits, Gülen’s lawyer, Albayrak, has also sent a total of 25 formal requests for a correction to pro-government dailies such as Sabah, Star, Yenişafak and Akit for false reports on Gülen and the Hizmet movement.

Albayrak also filed a criminal complaint against pro-government Sabah daily columnist Sevilay Yükselir for using untrue statements about Gülen in her column and during TV news programs she has participated in. Several criminal complaints were also filed against Fatih Tezcan, who is the owner of the website “Analizmerkezi.com,” for baseless comments about Gülen in Twitter posts, on TV news programs and on his website. A libel suit was also filed against Tezcan on the same charges. Among other things, Tezcan claimed on his website that Gülen was linked to American and Israel intelligence organizations, an allegation Gülen denies.

Gülen’s lawyer also filed a criminal complaint against Akit daily columnist Mehtap Yılmaz on the grounds that she gravely violated the personal rights of Gülen. In addition, a libel suit was filed against Star daily columnist Elif Çakır, who used unfounded defamatory words about Gülen in her March 16 column titled “Fethullah Gülen’s small betrayal.”

 

Source: Todays Zaman , March 28, 2014


Related News

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

A Supreme Court of Appeals member until he was dismissed, Mustafa Erdogan has been kept in a holding cell at a private hospital since Dec. 30, 2016. His daughter Buket Erdogan said the top judge was denied right to “trial without arrest” although he was paralysed after a surgery on his brain.

Why is the Hizmet community alone?

Some people I have talked to recently have started to ask the following question, which is also discussed on social media from time to time: Why is the Hizmet community still alone even though it is clearly on the right track?

Pro-gov’t media knows no limits in ’parallel’ claims

Ever since President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan launched a battle against the faith-based Hizmet movement after a corruption probe went public on Dec. 17, 2013, almost no day has passed without pro-government media outlets’ bringing forward allegations about the “parallel structure or state” and associating any negative development in the country with this so-called structure.

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

KCK suspect Ersanlı says doesn’t believe Hizmet behind coup, terror trials

Professor Büşra Ersanlı, who is among suspects in an investigation into the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) on terrorism charges, has said she doesn’t believe claims raised by some officials linked with government that the faith-based Hizmet Movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is behind major trials.

Fethullah Gulen Suggests Nonviolent Options to Young Activists

Fethullan Gulen suggests some ways to the young activist group that are not based on violence and that are for peace. I think it’s necessary to understand the significance of education and school projects in particular. I try to express this in my articles. Akman: Why are you more interested in sociology of religion? Ozdalga*: […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Did you say extradition?

Coup d’état attempt: Turkey’s Reichstag fire?

Report: Police chief sets up teams to torture post-coup detainees

PACE concerned over lack of domestic remedy for purge victims in Turkey

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles

Gülen’s lawyer files criminal complaint against several Twitter accounts

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News