KADİP’s 1st international photography contest held for peace


Date posted: March 26, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

The Intercultural Dialogue Platform (KADİP) of the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) announced the winners of its very first international photography contest, “Peace in the frame,” at a gala on Tuesday night at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in İstanbul.

A total of 2,555 photographers from 66 different countries entered the contest. A jury that consisted of artists including İzzet Keribar, Nadir Ede, Reha Bilir, Selahattin Sevi and Sandra Zagolin evaluated the applications and found 40 photographs worthy of an award. While the winners of the photography contest hailed from both Turkey and abroad, only the Turkish awardees attended the ceremony.

Speaking to Today’s Zaman, Kudret Altındağ, the secretary-general of KADİP, said the world has recently been going through tough times that require a special emphasis on initiatives for peace and stability. “We wanted to use the language of the arts to bring attention to peace and coexistence despite attempts at polarization, conflicts and struggles,” Altındağ stated. He also explained that, before organizing the contest, he and his team had been motivated by the idea of using photography as an effective tool to communicate ideas and emotions that writing could not express sufficiently.

Mustafa Yeşil, the president of the GYV, spoke before the presentation of the awards to the winners of the contest. Stating that all living beings deserve to exist in peace, Yeşil highlighted that all individuals need to make an effort to build peace, as it will not happen on its own. “Our hope is that the winners of the photography contest that is on display here will bring hope for peace in the future,” Yeşil said.

One of the winners, Mustafa Yıldız, received special attention for returning his prize immediately after receiving it and instead asking the GYV to use it to help Somalia, where he had taken his award-winning picture. “At first, when I got the opportunity to travel to Somalia, I was very happy and excited. This was a great visual experience for any photographer. But after seeing the poverty and despair there, I started to feel different. This is why, even though I am honored to receive this award, I would like to return it to the GYV so that it will contribute to Somalia in some way,” Yıldız said, surprising the guests.

Sıdıka Akbulut was another awardee who received particular attention. She was the only female photographer to be recognized in the ceremony. Speaking to Today’s Zaman, Akbulut said she was honored to be appreciated for her art. “I often participate in national and international photography contests. But this one was special for two reasons. First, taking part in it was free, and second, the theme was peace,” Akbulut noted.

KADİP’s gala also brought together members of various ethnic and religious minority groups, including Yusuf Sağ, the leader of the Turkish Syriac Catholic Church; Deputy Patriarch of the Armenian Catholic Church in Turkey Satenik Usta and Erikli Baba Cultural Center Cemevi President Metin Tarhan.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 25, 2014


Related News

8.5-month pregnant woman under arrest though baby faces heart, kidney problems

With only days to go before the delivery, a Kayseri woman is still held under arrest even though her baby has heart and kidney problems. If she was not under arrest, the baby would have been treated before it was born.

Abduction and torture part of war on Gulenists: Report

An Ankara-based rights organization on Thursday released a report delving into the allegations of enforced disappearances and torture that took place in Turkey since the 2016 coup bid. The report reads in its conclusion that out of 28 cases of disappearance, 26 were connected to the persecution of alleged Gulenists, while suggesting at least 16 of them were detained in the capital city of Ankara.

Extraditing Gülen: A smart move for the PM?

In the latest salvo in his battle for his political life, the Turkish prime minister has started to threaten to bring U.S.-based scholar Fetullah Gülen back to Turkey to face a possible criminal case for his alleged role in what the premier called a “civilian coup plot” attempt. In legal terms, there has been no legal investigation or arrest warrant for Gülen.

In Conversation with Fethullah Gülen (Interview in Asharq Al-Awsat-I)

While it is a movement inspired by faith, this [Hizmet movement] community of volunteers develops and delivers reasonable and universally acceptable projects which are in full compliance with humanitarian values and which aim to promote individual freedoms, human rights and peaceful coexistence for all people regardless of their faith.

EU, US Have Little Leverage as Turkish Democracy Backslides

“In the big picture, Erdogan knows that the EU needs Turkey and will come back begging for a new agreement on the migrants. That’s why he will play a game of brinksmanship,” said Soner Cagaptay, the director of the Turkish program at The Washington Institute.

National Security Council intended to arrest Fethullah Gülen in 1997

2 September 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, ISTANBUL Meral Akşener, a Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy and vice president of Parliament, who was interior minister at the time of the Feb. 28 coup, claimed that The National Security Council (MGK) actually discussed a total of 24 decisions, which included the recitation of the call to prayer […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

KYM donates blankets and clothing to children in Gaza

Students from Turkish school send pocket money to needy ones in Nepal

Turkish high-schooler commits suicide after father was dismissed under emergency rules

US House Intel Chair Says ‘Hard To Believe’ Gulen Behind Turkey Coup

Minister Yildirim’s high praise for Fethullah Gulen

An Experience of Co-Existence: Panel on the Example of Istanbul and Şanlıurfa

Nigerian instability not a current threat for Turkish community

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News