New developments regarding Gülen movement


Date posted: June 9, 2009

MURAT YETKIN FROM RADIKAL DAILY

I was first introduced to the Fethullah Gülen-inspired schools when I visited them as a journalist while following trips abroad by former President Süleyman Demirel.

Since then I have been wondering why the Turkish state is reluctant to make use of such a great opportunity. By “state” I do not intend merely the government. The judiciary and the military organs of the state have biases against Gülen and his “movement” — a description now acceptable to the followers of this movement. In politics, perceptions may play more vital roles than realities. The secularist perception of Gülen has been heavily influenced by such biases. Here is one example: After his appointment as the new chief of general staff, Gen. İlker Başbuğ launched a new media policy and removed some accreditation restrictions. However, the Zaman daily, the Gülen movement’s flagship media organ, was still not accredited. For the military, this group was trying to show itself as more powerful than it really is.

Source: Today’s Zaman, June 8, 2009


Related News

Indonesian-Turkish Schools host 5th Science Olympiads

Turkish schools in Indonesia hosted the 5th Annual Indonesia Science Project Olympiads (ISPO) on February 26-28.ISPO is comprised of 6 different subject categories, namely biology, chemistry, environment, technology and computer. A total of 935 project entries were submitted to qualify for top 150. The projects attracted a great deal attention of the visitors. The finalists […]

Turkey dismisses another 330 academics, brings total to 7,316

A total of 330 academics were dismissed in a new government decree, issued on Tuesday, bringing the total number of academics who lost their jobs after a failed coup on July 15 to 7,316.

Afghan minister: Afghanistan will continue to support Turkish schools

Samim said: “Afghanistan has been going through a very difficult period over the last 30 years. Everything has been overturned by the civil war, bringing the state to a near-collapse with internal conflicts. During this period, Turkey has always been with us. They [Turkish volunteers] came and opened Turkish schools. The first Hizmet [the faith-based Hizmet movement]-affiliated school was opened in the country 20 years ago.

The AKP, Gülen and Feb. 28 coup

İHSAN YILMAZ The Taraf daily uncovered a secret national security document which revealed that the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government in 2004 signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement. As Today’s Zaman reported on Thursday: “The Taraf daily published a document on Thursday prepared by the National Security Council [MGK] […]

Gülen’s lawyer denies Turkish schools working against host nations

Lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has categorically rejected claims made by the Turkish president that schools opened by sympathizers of the Gülen movement in Africa are working against host nations.

British Foreign Secretary praises Turkish schools in Afghanistan

Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül: “As you know, during the Taliban regime, girls were not allowed to attend school. Turkey has opened schools to educate these lost girls. I visited the opening of this school in Kabul, and 1,500 students will receive an education at that school,” Gül said to Beckett, referring to a February visit to the Afghan Girls High School.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Expert’s opinion: Turkey’s Demanding Extradition Of Fethullah Gülen Is Frivolous Grandstanding

Turkey’s once-worldly aims falter, even close allies concerned

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee: Charges against Gülen not credible

RTÜK suspends 20 SHaber TV shows, harshest penalty of all times

Turkey’s president orders closure of 1,000 private schools linked to Gülen

Fethullah Gulen turns coup accusations on Erdogan

‘I feel like I have been buried alive’: families live in fear and isolation as Erdoğan leads a witch-hunt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News