Gülen-linked journalist association warns that movement’s support for gov’t can end


Date posted: January 14, 2014

ISTANBUL

A journalist association affiliated with the movement of the Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen has warned the government that the movement could withdraw its support, slamming Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s harsh words against the “community.”

“The slightest insecurity could cut all the assistance made to you and leave you alone in your [journey],” Mustafa Yeşil, chairman of the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) said during a press conference yesterday while rejecting claims that a “parallel state” controlled by Gülen’s movement, also called Hizmet (Service), orchestrated the graft probe.

“If Hizmet had been judged and the claims about it being a gang responsible of dark and dirty business had been proved, it would not have become an institution that voluntarily lobbied for Turkey in 160 countries,” he said, condemning the “polarizing” language used by members of the government, and particularly Erdoğan.

Erdoğan and his supporters have cast the corruption probe as a smear campaign devised by Gülen, who exercises broad, if covert, influence in the media and judiciary through his followers. In response, the government has staged an unprecedented purge of the police forces and has moved to increase its control over the judiciary. Yeşil said that all these allegations were unfounded.

He also urged the government to refrain from making moves that could endanger the rule of law. “You have to overcome lawlessness through the rule of law,” Yeşil said.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , January 14, 2014


Related News

‘Parallel’ inspection launched against prominent Jewish-Turkish businessman İshak Alaton

The Bureau for Crimes against the Constitutional Order of the Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched an inspection of the companies run by Alarko Holding’s executive board chairman and prominent Jewish Turkish businessman İshak Alaton on charges of supporting the so-called “parallel state,” a daily reported on Tuesday.

African Professor lauds ‘Kimse Yok Mu’ as model relief organization

University of South Africa Professor Yousuf Dadoo has congratulated Kimse Yok Mu, one of the largest charity organizations in Turkey, for making its work a model for all charitable groups. He said that during a recent visit to Turkey he had been privileged to spend some time with members of Kimse Yok Mu, a relief organization connected to the faith-based Hizmet movement.

Action plan put into operation against Hizmet, indictment reveals

The Action Plan to Fight Reactionaryism, which was exposed by the Taraf daily in 2009, details a military plan to destroy the image of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and faith-based Hizmet (Gülen) movement in the eyes of the public, play down the Ergenekon investigation.

Fethullah Gulen Denies Coup Involvement

Fethullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric living in self-exile in the U.S. and a political rival of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, insisted Saturday that he had no involvement in Friday’s attempted coup.

While Erdogan Demonizes a Peaceful Movement, International Community Applauds Them.

It is no secret that the corruption scandal on December 17, 2013 that encircled the Turkish government was one of the biggest threats to Erdogan’s rule since he took the office in 2003.

Ayse Bohurler says International Herald Tribune misquoted remarks on Gülen movement

22 April 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Ayşe Böhürler, a founding member of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), has said her remarks on the faith-based Gülen movement were misquoted in an International Herald Tribune article last week, denying statements that were highly critical of the movement and attributed to her by the paper. “It […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

I support Turkish schools with all my heart

No better gift for Nigerien orphans

AK Party-Hizmet clash a blessing for world Muslims

Gülen urges patience over prep schools row

Neither conservative nor democrat

Turkey’s president is using the failed coup as an excuse to snuff out secular democracy

Intellectuals from West, East agree Gülen movement works for a better world

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News