Gov’t lifts confidentiality of MGK docs for publishing in partisan press


Date posted: December 23, 2013

İSTANBUL

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, which accused the Taraf daily of being a “traitor” for publishing secret state documents last month that include a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the profiling of citizens, has lifted the confidentiality of some National Security Council (MGK) documents to be released by its partisan media outlets.

The Taraf daily published several MGK documents dated Aug. 25, 2004 on Nov. 28 and in early December which revealed a secret plot against the Gülen movement and indicated that the Prime Ministry and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) had categorized, classified, profiled and blacklisted citizens, particularly those who have a connection to religious groups. Later, the Prime Ministry, the MGK and MİT filed a joint complaint against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who reported on those documents.

During a speech on Dec. 7, Erdoğan said, “Exposing state secrets is not a freedom but absolutely treasonous to the country and homeland.”

However, Baransu published several documents in his column on Monday which reveal that the government had lifted the confidentiality of other MGK documents to be published in dailies close to the ruling party. According to Baransu’s column, the Prime Ministry Security Affairs General Directorate sent seven MGK documents to Prime Ministry Deputy Secretary Özer Kontoğlu on Dec. 2, asking for the lifting of the confidentiality of those documents.

Kontoğlu presented those documents to Prime Minister Erdoğan, who approved the lifting of the confidentiality of the documents. The confidentiality of nine other MGK documents was also later lifted in the same manner. Pro-government dailies such as Yeni Şafak, Akit, Sabah and Star published those documents starting from Dec. 3. Baransu stated in his report: “Erdoğan saved his partisan media outlets from being ‘traitors’ only one day before the dailies started to publish those documents.”

Stating that he had asked jurists about the removal of the confidentiality of MGK documents by the prime minister, Baransu said in his report: “I spoke to various jurists. The consensus was that the removal of the confidentiality of the MGK documents by Erdoğan is against the procedures to be applied to confidential documents which were adopted by the Cabinet in 1964. According to the procedures, the confidentiality of MGK decisions or Cabinet resolutions based on MGK decisions should first be lifted. The confidentiality of specific documents cannot just be removed with Erdoğan’s approval.”

Addressing Erdoğan, Baransu said: “You stated: ‘Releasing secret documents is a crime. Arrest this traitor [Baransu].’ After you, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç used similar words against me. Respected prime minister, you are lifting the confidentiality of the documents which serve your purposes and allow these documents to be released in your dailies. Is this not a practice of a parallel state? Are you trying to cover up the crime you committed against the public by lifting the confidentiality of some documents as part of a psychological operation?”

Source: Today's Zaman , December 23, 2013


Related News

60-year-old Turkish villager detained after questioning gov’t coup narrative

Murat Gulen, a 60-year-old villager and a relative of Fethullah Gulen was detained after he was revealed questioning the government’s narrative over the July 15, 2016 coup attempt during a video interview by the pro-government Ihlas News Agency.

Can resurrecting the caliphate solve Muslims’ problems?

The recent terrorist attacks in Paris once more brought up the issue of how homegrown terrorism is shaping up to be one of the most striking elements of today’s terror threat, as former US Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano predicted in 2011.

Destici: No one should attempt to change law to save themselves

Grand Unity Party (BBP) leader Mustafa Destici, speaking about an ongoing corruption operation and the government’s response to it, said on Sunday that everyone has a responsibility to respect the laws in the country and that efforts to change the laws to protect a certain group of people from accusations are unacceptable.

Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation To Contribute Radicalism, Exacerbate Muslim-Christian Tension In African Countries

Turkey’s President Erdoğan has aimed at replacing the positive contributions of the schools opened by the Gülen movement in Africa to preventing clashes in countries, where there is Christian-Muslim tension, with radical Islamist rhetoric and thus will create conflict rather than dialogue in African countries, stated a report recently released.

Hizmet Movement’s Responsibility

Etyen Mahçupyan, April 8, 2012 I wrote this column before The Journalists and Writers Foundation, which is closely related to Hizmet movement (aka Gulen Movement), made a statement. But I won’t change it as I believe it’s better unchanged. Obviously one of the hottest topics lately is the issue of the ‘movement’. It is claimed […]

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Abdallah Kheri, who in Kenya heads the Islamic Research and Education Trust, worries that shuttering Gulen schools and other institutions could leave a vacuum that the so-called Islamic State will seek to fill. “Closing down the institutions would definitely grant gains to the fundamentalists,” he said. In Kenya, the Rev. Wilybard Lagho, Mombasa Roman Catholic diocese vicar general, said he would lament the demise of Gulen schools.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads

I am concerned: Erdoğan and elections

Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON

Fethullah Gulen’s Video Message for International Women’s Day

A perseverant Kurdish man at the Turkish school in Siberia

Albanian president hails Turkish schools in his country

Bank Asya recovers from gov’t provocation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News