AK Party gov’t spokesman confirms National Intelligence Organization profiling of faith-based movements


Date posted: December 4, 2013

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government spokesman confirmed that the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) profiled some movements and groups, but rejected allegations that the government had taken action against those groups upon MİT profiling.

AK Party government spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik raised the issue of government profiling of a large number of individuals who are believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups, a subject that has caused public outcry over the past three days, leading to mounting questions over the state of individual rights and freedom in Turkey.

Speaking at a press conference, Çelik addressed the delicate issue of profiling in what seems an attempt to assuage public concerns over state’s encroachment on  social and faith-based groups, and confirmed that the MİT indeed profiled some certain groups. He, however, denied any government wrongdoing and assigned the blame on the entrenched institutional habits of the MİT, the major intelligence organization of the country.

“Even Hakan Fidan becomes MİT Undersecretary or whoever comes to the top position, some old –fashioned habits of far-reaching monitoring and profiling hardly fade away,” said Çelik who asserted that profiling and collecting data are routine practices.

The Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals whom it believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups and monitored their activities up until 2013, a Turkish daily reported on Monday.

According to the report, the profiling of individuals did not end in 2010 as previously claimed, but it continued between 2011 and 2013. Those mainly profiled are reportedly followers of Hizmet, a faith-based movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The daily also claimed that other religious groups that voiced criticism or disapproval of the government’s activities were also profiled, mainly civil servants or those who planned or hoped to be employed in a state post.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 4, 2013


Related News

Government [in Turkey] replaces military in defamation tactics

LALE KEMAL A Turkish daily’s publication last week of a secret document dated to August, 2004 has sent shock waves through Turkish politics, which is becoming increasingly polarized ahead of the three elections Turkey will undergo before 2015. The secret document in question, published by the liberal Taraf daily, was about the once-infamous National Security […]

TUSKON summit highlights Turkish ‘FTA initiative’

Turkey is preparing to kick start negotiations to ink free trade agreements (FTAs) with a dozen countries, including Japan and Canada, Economy Minister Zafer Çağlayan told a global trade and investment summit held in İstanbul. The Turkey-World Trade Bridge summit, a seven-year-old event on its way to becoming an internationally recognized summit, opened its doors […]

Rebecca Harms: Working in Gülen-linked educational institutions not a crime

Speaking during the general assembly of the European Parliament (EP) on Thursday, Harms said working in institutions such as schools or universities with links to the Gülen movement is not a crime and that, similarly, being critical of the government and being a critical journalist are not crimes.

Gülen extends condolences to coal mine victims

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has extended condolences for victims of the coal mine blast in western Turkish town of Soma, wishing speedy recovery for injured workers.

Çelik admits profiling as daily faces criminal complaint for revelations

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Deputy Chairman Hüseyin Çelik on Wednesday confirmed the authenticity of a new document suggesting that the government profiled individuals linked to some religious and faith-based groups, saying the document was leaked to the media by a member or members of the National Intelligence Organization (MİT). In a recent development […]

U.S., Turkey at impasse over extraditing Muslim cleric living in Poconos

Turkey says the United States is legally bound by a treaty to immediately hand over Fethullah Gulen, the Poconos-based Muslim cleric it accuses of plotting to overthrow Turkey’s government.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Journalist Dumanlı says slanders against Hizmet reminiscent of Feb. 28 era

After coup, Turkish activist afraid to return home

Fethullah Gulen on ‘GPS’: Failed Turkey coup looked ‘like a Hollywood movie’

A Ramadan Birthday Dinner

Turkish Extradition Request Could Strain Relations With US

Turkey’s Deputy PM: 2.4 Pct Of Public Sector Employees Discharged Over Alleged Gülen Links

European Book Tour For Derby Professor

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News