Row between Turkish government and Gulen Movement takes new twist

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.


Date posted: November 30, 2013

World Bulletin / News Desk

The row between Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and Fethullah Gulen’s Hizmet Movement, one of the most influential religious communities in the country, has taken an interesting twist after the revelation of a 2004 document. In 2004, the National Security Council proposed a clampdown on the Gulen movement (aka Hizmet), which suggested that harsh sanctions should be enforced on them.

Taraf newspaper revealed that in 2004, the National Security Council proposed a clampdown on the movement, which suggested that harsh sanctions should be enforced on them.

The proposal suggested that Turkey’s secret service MIT be appointed to work with the internal and foreign ministries to monitor the activities of the movement inside and outside of Turkey, while the Finance Ministry’s Financial Crime Investigation Board monitor their transactions.

However, government officials denied that the decision, which was signed by the then president Ahmet Necdet Sezer, prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and current president Abdullah Gul (who was back then the foreign minister), was ever enforced.

This revelation has heated up the ongoing row between the government and the movement, since the government proposed re-registering prep schools as private high schools.

However, the movement, which owns around 3,100 prep schools in Turkey, claims that this will amount to closing them down as only 263 of them are in the position to be reopened as private high schools. This would of course deal a huge financial blow to the movement as a whole.

Many commentators have stated that the closure of prep schools is a measure targeting the movement, as relations between the government and Hizmet have been weakening over the past two years, having previously had a good relationship.

This relationship was shaken when in early 2012, a head prosecutor linked to the movement accused the Turkish intelligence chief and one of Erdogan’s most trusted men Hakan Fidan of being linked to the activities of the PKK, an armed group of Kurdish separatists in the country’s south-east. The allegations sabotaged covert operations being conducted against the PKK and put the lives of operational agents in danger.

Ironically, Erdogan in the summer of 2012 called Fethullah Gulen to end his self-exile and return to Turkey – an invitation Gulen rejected. Erdogan was also recently reported to have sent Gulen a ‘get well soon’ message on hearing of his poor-health.

However, at the same time the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), another group belonging to the Hizmet Movement, claimed that the government was accusing them of being behind the Gezi Park riots of summer 2013. Also, the relationship between Erdogan and one of his deputies, Bulent Arinc, who is also known for his ties to the Gulen community, has been on the rocks in recent weeks, with Arinc himself publicly admitting it.

Bulent Arinc, who is still part of the AK Party, said that he was not present at the 2004 meeting where the proposal was made, but said “even if such a decision was made, it was only advisory.”

An AK Party deputy, Yalcin Akdogan, also added “MGK decision of 2004 was considered as null and void, no cabinet decision was taken on that, and no step was taken whatsoever” on his Twitter page.

Following the proposal, the Hizmet Movement actually increased in power, with members rising in ranks of authority in the Turkish police force. AK Party, meanwhile, barely overcame attempts to close the party down.

Fethullah Gulen, who spoke of the new developments on Friday from his home in the United States, described the document as proof of a plan to finish off the movement, while expressing his heartbreak over the latest revelations.

He also said that he had had enough of always trying to think the best of the situation, saying that his movement had repeatedly been targeted in this way.

“The NSC ruling reads: ‘Legislation that introduces heavy sanctions needs to be passed and an action plan needs to be drawn up’ in order to block ‘Nurist [Nurcular Muslim movement] activities and the activities of institutions belonging to the Fethullah Gulen group.’

“The NSC ruling reads: ‘Legislation that introduces heavy sanctions needs to be passed and an action plan needs to be drawn up’ in order to block ‘Nurist [Nurcular Muslim movement] activities and the activities of institutions belonging to the Fethullah Gulen group.’

Source: World Bulletin , November 30, 2013


Related News

Ethiopian president hails contribution of Turkish schools to education

Ethiopian President Mulatu Teshome said Turkish schools in Ethiopia are considered to be a major contributing factor to the education sector in the country. “There are Turkish schools [along] with the growing number of international and Ethiopian students in the country. As far as providing quality education, it is helping in the development of education, and we don’t have any problems with the schools,” he added.

Lawyer put behind bars along with 3-month-old baby

An Istanbul lawyer, identified with her initials O.E.H., was put in pretrial detention along with her three-month-old baby as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement, media said.

Court accepts indictment against 9 officers in case seen as political witch hunt

The investigation into the nine police officers is being carried out by Adana Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Ali Doğan. The investigation drew strong criticism, as they were based on claims made in government media outlets’ news reports. This raised suspicions as to whether the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) had kicked off a witch hunt against the Hizmet movement, which the prime minister recently threatened to “punish with a large-scale operation.

Cemevi next to mosque embraced by residents in Malatya

Since the groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi place of worship) culture center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8, there has been an ongoing debate on the presence of joint religious centers, with Cihan news agency reporting on Monday of a site in Malatya’s Doğanyol district that has a mosque and […]

‘Alliance with PKK’ claims latest conspiracy against Gülen movement

News reports trying to create a perception that the faith-based Gülen movement is cooperating with the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) are ill-intentioned, according to Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s lawyer, Orhan Erdemli. In a statement he released on Gülen’s website, www.tr.fgulen.com, on Monday, Erdemli pointed out that certain media outlets’ “incriminating” attitude toward his client […]

TUSKON says 2 businessmen threatened members with ‘blacklisting’

Two Turkish businessmen from the Central Anatolian city of Konya have threatened a business confederation by telling it to “cut ties” with Turkey’s largest volunteer-based grassroots movement, the Hizmet movement, or be placed on a government blacklist of entrepreneurs affiliated with the movement, the head of the business confederation has said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Bank Asya shares surge after Turkish election results

Austria arrests two after arson attack on Turkish cultural center

Ongoing tussle: Students, parents protest closure of Pak-Turk School in Khairpur

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

Award-winning US screenwriter: Without freedom of speech and media, we’re all slaves

Turkish Prisons Are Filled With Professors — Like My Father

An unshakable spiritual unity, unique to Hizmet Movement volunteers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News