Islamic scholar Gülen calls for ‘reasonability’ in prep school row

Fethullah Gülen (Photo: herkul.org)
Fethullah Gülen (Photo: herkul.org)


Date posted: November 28, 2013

Islamic scholar Gülen has called on the government to act “reasonably” in its plan to close test prep schools, adding that they were the ones receiving a “slap,” in a veiled reference to a statement from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

“[We should] insist on what’s right and reasonable. Otherwise, it means being inclined to futility. If you say, ‘Let’s demolish these schools, these are futile’ or ‘Let’s stop the opening process, it’s futile,’ God will call [you] to account,” Fethullah Gülen said according to statements posted via Twitter on Nov. 27 by the editor of the scholar’s official website, herkul.org, Osman Şimşek.

“You cannot stay indifferent against this. That would mean staying indifferent against one’s right; you have to defend it without making concessions in the language you use,” Gülen said in an apparent message to members of the “Hizmet” [Service] movement.

The movement founded by Gülen, a scholar who has been in self-exile in the United States for years, had previously described the move to reform the education system built on the test prep schools, known as “dershanes,” as tantamount to a military coup.

Erdoğan responded to the accusations, saying the movement was seeking to hit the government. “Back in the day, the media gave us slaps for ‘making arrangements as per [the wishes] of the [Gülen] movement. Now, it is our brothers [of the movement] who are trying to give the government a slap,” Erdoğan said, expressing his discomfort with the Gülen movement’s media outlets extensive coverage of the issue.

Without openly quoting Erdoğan, Gülen said it was the movement that was receiving a slap because of the government’s plan.

Erdoğan made new offers regarding the government’s move on the weekend, offering new incentives to dershane owners and teachers to agree to change the status of the prep schools to private schools.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 27, 2013


Related News

The tragic end of the witch hunt

Several claims and accusations have been voiced, and the Hizmet movement has been described as a gang and a “parallel structure,” Are these accusations based on concrete evidence? No. Fabricated news published by pro-government media outlets, unfounded accusations and slanderous claims that are legally null and void have been refuted one by one. However, the pro-government media does not care about this, since they do not care in the least about rights or the rule of law.

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

Turkey’s Ankara Mayor Gökçek Hints ‘Genocide’ For Followers Of Gülen Movement

Melih Gökçek, the mayor of Turkey’s capital city Ankara, has hinted a kind of “genocide” for alleged members of faith-based Gülen movement in an interview. He said that “Completely annihilating Gülen movement in Turkey will take our 10 year. In order to finish them completely we need to transform whole generation.

Opposition deputy seeks answers on gov’t ban on Kimse Yok Mu

A lawmaker from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) has directed questions at Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu on why the government banned charity group Kimse Yok Mu from collecting donations. In a formal parliamentary question, CHP Deputy Chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu asked Davutoğlu to explain the legal grounds for the government decision dated Sept. 22 to rescind Kimse Yok Mu’s permission to collect charitable donations

Turkish minister’s leaked emails show pro-gov’t figure has eye on Gülen-linked dormitory

Leaked emails of Turkey’s energy minister and son-in-law of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Berat Albayrak, have revealed plans by a pro-government figure to assume ownership of a dormitory in Kayseri province that used to be operated by the Gülen movement but was closed down by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government.

Fethullah Gülen versus Ayatollah Khomeini?

Gülen will not return to a society that is expecting him as the Savior or the true representation of Turkishness or the antidote to current political failures. Although it is true that Gülen’s imminent return would cause tensions, it would only be tensions created by political interest groups which would use his presence for their […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Documents reveal how military carried out campaign against the Gulen [Hizmet] movement

Intellectual deviations

Another ‘coup suspect’ found dead in Turkish prison, bringing total to 21

[Part 1] Islamic scholar Gülen calls conditions in Turkey worse than military coup

What ‘struggle for power’? [Between the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and the Fethullah Gülen movement ]

Slandering Turkish schools is treason according to well-known politician

Opposition does not believe Gulen movement was behind the coup attempt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News