‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

An African businessman samples food on the summit’s second day, which saw a number of African businesses sign trade deals with their Turkish counterparts. (Photo: İHA)
An African businessman samples food on the summit’s second day, which saw a number of African businesses sign trade deals with their Turkish counterparts. (Photo: İHA)


Date posted: November 26, 2013

CUMALİ ÖNAL, İSTANBUL

The second day of a global trade and investment summit in İstanbul saw increased interest from African companies in Turkish markets, with some major deals in the works.

Organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), the World Trade Summit opened its doors to visitors from around the world on Monday. The summit, which will run through Nov. 26, is hosting 1,343 foreign firms and 800 local firms and expects to facilitate 25,000 business-to-business transactions.

The TUSKON summit is sponsored by the Economy Ministry and the Turkish Exporters Assembly (TİM).

The summit’s second day saw a number of African businesses sign investment and trade deals with their Turkish counterparts in various sectors including retail, food, media and agriculture. The theme of the TUSKON summit is food and agriculture, and the participating companies are focused on these industries.

One of the African entrepreneurs at the TUSKON summit was Thokozani Zulu from South Africa. The son of the autonomous Zulu region’s king, Zulu has agreed to buy food retail goods worth TL 10 million ($5 million) from Turkish suppliers. Underlining the importance South Africa has attached to rapprochement between Turkey and African nations over the past decade, Zulu said his company expected to further increase trade links with Turkish partners. Zulu said his firm would make new investments at home to provide jobs for thousands of unemployed youths.

Tanzania’s Orbit, a firm active in the construction and agriculture sectors, also had a presence at the summit. Orbit representatives said they were looking for Turkish partners to make investments in Tanzania. An entrepreneur from Malawi, Kush Mittal, said he had held talks with Turkish companies on working together in the energy and food sectors.

The summit also attracted African media companies. One of them is Senegalese D-Media; the company’s CEO, Bougane Gueye, said the firm is considering buying broadcast rights for Turkish TV series. “Different series from different countries are popular in Senegal. We heard how Turkish products have made fame in this surrounding region and we are close to bringing them into our country soon,” he told Today’s Zaman.

Firms from the Americas were also busy at Tuesday’s summit, including Grupo Pão de Açúcar (GPA), South America’s largest retailer. The company has been looking into importing food items from Turkish providers since last month. Cristiana Campos, from the Brazilian company’s marketing division, told Today’s Zaman that GPA had agreed to buy Turkish products at the summit. Another South American company at the summit was Paraguay’s DVC, and general manager Daniel Villacorta said the firm will buy Turkish food products worth $1 million.

This is the 18th edition of the TUSKON event. The previous summits saw more than 28,000 foreign and 50,000 Turkish businesspeople participate, making deals worth an estimated $26 billion.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 26, 2013


Related News

Power struggle for the state or deep rift about Turkey?

As an external observer, I see a profound rift having taken place between Erdoğan — more than anybody else in the AKP — and the Hizmet movement; and that has much less to do with the power struggle than a resistance to another massive, individual attempt to accumulate power in one person.What has defined Erdoğan’s way with various social segments since 2011 is to alienate, antagonize, suppress and devour. So was his pattern with the dissident Kurds, Alevis, leftists, liberals and now Hizmet.

From ‘parallel state’ to ‘terrorist organization’: Dissecting Erdoğan’s labeling of Gülen

Yet more than three years since the public feud between Erdoğan and Gülen began, the allegations against the Gülen movement of infiltrating the state, plotting coups, and proselytizing students through its schools still rest on speculation.

Hatred-inciting discourses and the debate on ‘genocide and crime against humanity’

Speaking to reporters on April 29 during his return from an official visit to Kuwait, President Erdoğan made these much-debated remarks: “Those belonging to this organization [Hizmet movement], from top to bottom, should certainly pay a price. They will either respect state authority or WILL PERISH.”

Gülen’s lawyer says claims of luxury homes part of smear campaign

Gülen’s lawyer, Orhan Erdemli, denied the allegations, saying the claims are fabricated and were made up as part of a smear campaign against his client. According to Erdemli, Gülen adopts a modest lifestyle and pays rent for his room in a house in Pennsylvania where he lives.

Minister: Turkey confiscated $4 bln worth of Gülenist property

Some TL 12 billion (about $4 billion) in property has been transferred to the Treasury as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, said Minister for Environment and Urbanization Mehmet Özhaseki on Thursday. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement without credible evidence.

Is Hizmet making a feint at Turkish Government?

Akif Beki Journalists and Writers Foundation gave a bulk response to the rumors regarding Hizmet-Government dispute. I did not sense an attempt of making a feint at the government in the text, if we don’t count a few unnecessary sentences. Thinking that folks may want to hear my comments on the topic, I was unable […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

We’ll kiss the hands of those who tell us our shortcomings

Journalist reveals MGK decision to fight against all religious groups

Syrian Refugees Blanket & Coat Drive

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for St. Petersburg Terrorist Attack

A perseverant Kurdish man at the Turkish school in Siberia

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to Haitian orphans

Gülen’s lawyer denies Turkish schools working against host nations

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News