Turkish government defiant as battle over prep schools rises

The government’s plan to close down private prep schools have a created an uproar at the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement. The plans have created a deep rift between the government and the movement.
The government’s plan to close down private prep schools have a created an uproar at the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement. The plans have created a deep rift between the government and the movement.


Date posted: November 25, 2013

Both the government and the Gülen movement have raised the stakes in the debate over a plan to regulate private prep schools, or dershanes.

The tension recently peaked, with Erdoğan describing the group’s objection to his government’s plans as a “smear campaign.”

“You can hear very bad things, but you should not retaliate. Nowadays, there’s something called Twitter. It is Allah’s mercy if it is used as a means of good things. But it is Allah’s damned thing if it sets people at odds,” Gülen told his followers in video footage released Nov. 25. “We should not hurt anyone even if we are hurt. We should always act in a conciliatory way,” Gülen said in the video titled “Hiç durmadan yürüyeceksiniz” (You will never stop walking).

“Hiç durmadan yürüyeceksiniz” was one of the hash-tags that became a trending topic on Twitter last week due to Gülen’s followers’ efforts in a recent social media battle between the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) supporters and Gülen’s followers over the prep school row.

Since the beginning of the public debate, both parties have launched an intense social media campaign to justify their support or objection to the move.

Ekrem Dumanlı, editor-in-chief of daily Zaman, which is known for its close ties with the Gülen movement, wrote an open letter to Erdoğan and urged him to review his decision.

“So if all these people are saying this is wrong, listening to them is not a weakness but a virtue. This is what the nation expects from you. Otherwise, it will take forever to heal the wounds that have been inflicted in their hearts. So is it worth it?” Dumanlı wrote in his letter published Nov. 25.

Zaman also published prominent opinion leaders’ views objecting to closing down the prep schools in its special “Truth of Prep Schools” supplement released Nov. 25.

Only 20 percent of prep schools have the capability to be transformed into private schools, while the remaining 80 percent will have to transform into either private, open-education high schools, free public education centers or free study centers, Avcı said, adding that the government would give all kinds of incentives to smooth their way for transformation.

Avcı’s remarks came at a panel on developments in the education system, which was hosted by the Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research (SETA).

The government’s move was protested at a meeting, which was hosted by the Education Ministry in the Antalya province on the Mediterranean coast Nov. 25.

The meeting was aimed at informing executives from private prep schools and study centers in Adana, Antalya, Burdur, Isparta, Karaman, Mersin and Osmaniye.

Delivering a speech at the opening of the meeting, Education Ministry Deputy Undersecretary Yusuf Büyük emphasized their goal was not to persuade anybody on the issue but was called so that they could solicit advice and proposals from executives about transforming the private prep schools and study centers, Anadolu Agency reported.

After Büyük’s speech was over, the meeting was closed to the press. In the meantime, some 100 representatives of private prep schools and study centers left the hall while applauding in protest.

Aydın Vural, speaking to reporters on behalf of the group, said the meeting was not aimed at consultation but was aimed at persuasion and imposition. Vural also likened the meeting to a theatrical performance.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 25, 2013


Related News

US assures private schools are under legal protection against closure

Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) Executive Director Mark Gibb has said no one, not even President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has the authority to close down Turkish schools in the US in response to the Turkish government’s bid to close down schools opened by entrepreneurs affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, which is also known as the Hizmet movement.

Nigerian education minister says Nigeria indebted to Turkish schools

Praising the Turkish schools operating in seven Nigerian provinces, Shekarau said his three children had graduated from the Turkish schools, adding that high-quality education provided at these schools is a “wonderful example” for other schools in Nigeria. Expressing his gratitude to Turkish educators and entrepreneurs for their contributions to Nigerian education, Shekarau said, “I will always feel indebted to the Turkish schools.”

Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON

“A large amount of hot money came to Turkey, along with other developing countries, but Turkey could not use this money to invest into industry,” said Rızanur Meral, chairman of the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON).

Erdoğan’s Henchman: Oppression Targeting Gülen Movement To Be More Severe After Zarrab Case

Turkish autocratic President Erdoğan’s former speechwriter and current Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy Aydın Ünal wrote on Tuesday that the witch hunt against the alleged followers of the Gülen movement in Turkey will eventually become severe as a result of the Zarrab case in the US.

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

Representatives of civil society organizations across Turkey issued press releases on Wednesday to condemn a defamation campaign targeting the Hizmet movement, a volunteer-based grassroots movement particularly working in the field of education around the world while aiming to spread interfaith dialogue inspired by Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The AKP-Israeli thaw

A huge propaganda machine is working against the Hizmet movement, both in Turkey and across the world.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Why was Mr. Gulen’s name brought up in the coup attempt in Turkey?

Escape from Turkey’s parallel reality

Gulen movement becoming victim of its own legend

Dialogue Institute of the Southwest presents Whirling Dervishes of Rumi

Did Turkey Really Save Democracy On July 15?

More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News