Kimse Yok Mu helps flood victims in Tajikistan


Date posted: June 19, 2009

The aid organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has extended a helping hand to the people of Tajikistan to meet their humanitarian needs after severe floods struck the country last month. Kimse Yok Mu sent a team of doctors, a search-and-rescue crew and an emergency governance expert to Uyali, a town in the province of Khatlon, which is among the areas affected most by the floods.

According to Kimse Yok Mu President Mehmet Özkara, buildings in the town have been heavily damaged by mudflow caused by the flooding. The district hospital and school have been completely destroyed, he said, adding that the floods resulted in the displacement of almost 2,500 Uyali residents, among a population of 6,000.

The government of Tajikistan has provided tents for the displaced families, while around 450 families are staying with relatives and are in urgent need of food and sanitation supplies.

The association launched the campaign on Monday, and food and other supplies were expected to be delivered to 2,500 families over the course of two days, Özkara said. “We obtain and distribute the aid with the help of Turkish schools located in Tajikistan and thanks to Turkish entrepreneurs there.” He added that the association will continue to support Tajikistan’s flood victims.

Source: Today’s Zaman 16 June 2009

 

 

 


Related News

Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region. The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Parents of Afghan-Turk school students vow to defend school in Mazar-e Sharif to the end

The Parents’ Committee of an Afghan-Turk school held a press conference on Wednesday in the conference hall of Ariana Boys High School in Mazar-e Sharif and vowed to defend to the end the school against the attacks of the Turkish government.

President Gül opens Turkish-Kazakh school in Astana

AHMET TEMIR President Abdullah Gül yesterday opened the new building of the International Turkish-Kazakh High School, sponsored by the Kazakhstan Education Foundation (KATEV), in Astana. Kazakh Education Minister Zhanseit Tuimenbayev accompanied the Turkish president during the ceremony, where Gül was given a warm welcome by students carrying Turkish and Kazakh flags. Gül visited classrooms and […]

Karzai honored Turkish schools in his country

SULTAN FAIZY, KABUL Afghan President Hamid Karzai has honored Turkish schools in his country, awarding them a prestigious state medal during a ceremony in Kabul on Monday. The ceremony was attended by Afghan Education Minister Farooq Wardak; the director general of Afghan-Turkish high schools, Hikmet Çoban; and a number of Afghan deputies. Çoban was given […]

Blanket Drive for Syrian Refugees a Great Success

Paxton Companies estimates 25,000 blankets have been donated and Embrace Relief reports $100,000 in funds have been donated to this cause. Over the past two years more than 40,000 blankets have been collected and $115,000 in funds has been donated. Donations raised for this program will help purchase blankets and supplies in Turkey for the refugees.

Turkish Cultural Center Hosts Food Drive

The Humanitarian Aid group under the Turkish Cultural Center (TCC) held a meat drive on Monday, August 3rd for Eid al Adha (Feast of Sacrifice) at the Turkish Cultural Center on Revere Street.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen says talk of raid against Zaman aims to intimidate

Steller: For Turks, post-coup purges make U.S. safe harbor

668 babies – children in Turkey’s prisons

Saudi journalist with links to king visits Erdogan rival Gulen

Connecticut chapter of Peace Islands Institute promotes peace by bringing people together

Civil society-democratic relations, Gezi and the Middle East

Erdoğan vows to strip Gülen sympatizers off Turkish citizenship

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News