Alevi, Sunni businessmen will finance joint prayer complex

Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ (L) met with Hacı Bektaş-ı Veli Culture Association head Nazif Ünlüyurt at his office. (Photo: Cihan, Emrullah Bayrak)
Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ (L) met with Hacı Bektaş-ı Veli Culture Association head Nazif Ünlüyurt at his office. (Photo: Cihan, Emrullah Bayrak)


Date posted: September 6, 2013

İLYAS KOÇ, ANKARA

The first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project in Turkey will be financed by businessmen from both parties, the head of the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation, Kemal Kaya, said on Thursday.

The idea for such a project, which aims to strengthen will of peaceful coexistence, came from Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen who is known for his efforts to promote peace and dialogue. Referring to Gülen as the father of the idea, Kaya says that they were in a way encouraged by Gülen to initiate such a project but denied rumors that the project would be financed by Gülen himself. “The project will be financed by Alevi and Sunni businessmen,” Kaya stated. Construction on the project in Ankara will begin on Sunday.

The project is widely supported by Alevi religious figures (dede). İsmail Eker, the head of the dede council in the Ankara Branch of the CEM Foundation, said those who are against this project might call themselves Alevis but they fall outside of the definition of Alevism. Eker also dismissed claims that there is an intention to assimilate Alevis [into the Sunni faith]. “I have no doubt about my own faith; no one should have any doubts. We want people to go wherever they want, to either the mosque or the cemevi.” Referring to the big meeting area planned in between the mosque and the cemevi in the project, Eker said that people can socialize and get to know each other better following their prayers in the complex.

Eker also warned of possible acts of provocation during the upcoming ceremony to break ground on the project on Sunday, urging people to be careful and the security forces to take the necessary precautions. He also asked the police not to spray anyone with pepper gas should there be a protest at the ceremony area.

Another dede, Celal Abbas Bektaşoğlu, stated that their goal was constructive and described those who are against the project as fanatics. “I wonder whether those people have ever been to a cemevi in their life,” he said, commenting on the opponents of the joint mosque-cemevi project. “In the Quran, believers are considered brothers and sisters. Why should they be uncomfortable with that?” Bektaşoğlu asked.

Providing examples from his personal life, he said he has had a Sunni business partner for the last 12 years, adding that the opponents’ concern is not about the mosque or the cemevi. “Among them are people pretending to be Alevis,” Bektaşoğlu said.

Marxist Leninist Alevis are against the project a dede argues

According to dede Baki Özdemir, those who are uncomfortable with the collaboration between Alevis and Sunnis are Alevis who are heavily influenced by Marxism and Leninism. He also argued that the Alevi opening project which was initiated by the government in the previous years was not going well and that nothing had been accomplished. Consequently, he believes that if such a task was assumed by civil society, this would bring about better results.

Representatives of Alevi organizations will hold a press conference in Ankara on Friday to talk about the details of the project which aims to promote the idea of “accepting others as they are.”

Bozdağ: Punch against me hurt Hacı Bektaş Veli’s spirit

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdağ, who was attacked by an Alevi citizen during the commemoration of Alevi thinker Hacı Bektaş Veli last month, said on Thursday that the punch against him also targeted Hacı Bektaş Veli.

Receiving a delegation from the Hacı Bektaş Veli Association in Ankara, Bozdağ said the attack on him disrespected the philosophy of the Alevi thinker.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 05, 2013


Related News

Erdoğan’s overarching purge is not a road accident

The purge of the Hizmet Movement is what the Kurdish question was to Kemalism, a necessary tool with which to construct a new national identity, a tool to silence those who question it, and to design a social and political system that will foster it. Unfortunately, Turkey has no chance of going back, even to its fragile and dysfunctional democracy, without this narrative being completely rejected.

Huntsville’s Peace Valley Foundation sets annual Dialogue Dinner and awards

A specialist in comparative theologies, Professor Loye Ashton, will deliver the keynote address at the 2013 Peace Valley Foundation’s Dialogue Dinner and Award Ceremony in Huntsville on Thursday, April 18, 2013. The annual dinner, sponsored by the non-profit organization dedicated to solving educational, cultural, environmental, social and humanitarian challenges, provides an opportunity for building bridges between people […]

What Is Next In Turkey?

The generals were never the script writers of the coups but only players. The script writers of the coup on July 15 in Turkey aimed to simulate a coup as if it was staged by the Gulen movement. It was simply a false flag. While only a few hundred soldiers were involved in the coup, more than ten thousand officers were purged and arrested. While the police officers challenged the coup plotters, twelve thousand police officers were fired two months after the coup.

Unexpected consequences [of prep schools in Turkey]

The hottest debate in Turkey today is about the abolishment or, officially, the “transformation” of the private university prep schools. These are private enterprises. They are not schools but provide additional education to high school students to increase their ability to succeed in the nationwide university exams held every year.

Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji

The Sakarya Administrative Court on Friday issued a stay of execution on the closure decision for Fatih Koleji, a Hizmet-affiliated school that has been running in the Beyköy district of Düzce province, saying that the school is allowed to continue to operate in the 2014-2015 education period.

Turkish expats in Singapore concerned over state of emergency back home

Dr Nawab says: “What is more accurate is to describe it as a community of people who, perhaps, subscribe to the ideas of Fethullah Gulen. “They put in a lot of effort to integrate within Singapore society. Many of them are married to Singaporeans and are naturalised citizens. I am talking about Turks who would take you to durian parties.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

We make peace with ourselves as we integrate with the world

When The Last Barricade Falls: Remembering Unlawful Takeover Of Turkey’s Largest Daily – Zaman

An International Conference on “Philanthropy and Peacebuilding”

Turkish school in Afghanistan opened

Test of Turkish society

Turkish school to open many new branches in Egypt

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News