Romanian Judge Blocks Extradition of Second Arrested ‘Gulenist’


Date posted: December 26, 2019

Marcel Gascón Barberá

A Romanian judge has blocked the extradition to Turkey of a Turkish schools director linked to the man accused by Ankara of orchestrating a failed 2016 coup, hours after the director was arrested on Tuesday.

Fatih Gursoy, 50, is the director of a network of schools in Romania called Lumina and which is linked to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric accused by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of trying to overthrow him in July 2016. 

The failed putsch unleashed a wide-ranging crackdown in Turkey and a global hunt for so-called Gulenists by the long arm of Turkish law.

“The most important charge against me was that I am the leader of a terrorist organisation in Romania,” Gursoy said after the judge’s ruling. 

“If anyone can come and prove that in these 25 years of academic activity we have damaged the interests of Romania, Turkey or any other state, I am ready to close the institution myself.”

Lumina had earlier issued a statement accusing Ankara of pursuing a “witch-hunt”.

Gursoy’s arrest followed that of a 24-year-old teacher at a Bucharest high school belonging to the Gulen movement. Within hours of the December 18 arrest, a judge ruled against her extradition and she was freed.

Gulen denies any involvement in the coup attempt, but Turkish authorities have pursued his schools and their employees across the Balkans and beyond. 

In Turkey, roughly 150,000 civil servants, soldiers, police officers, teachers, judges and academics have been fired or suspended, while tens of thousands more have been jailed pending trial.

Source: Balkan Insight , December 24, 2019


Related News

Nigeria Gives 7-Day Ultimatum to Turkish Government to Release Over 50 Nigerian Students Held in Detention

The House of Representatives on Tuesday issued a seven-day ultimatum to Turkish Government to release over 50 Nigerian students being held in detention. The House called on the federal government to urgently deploy all diplomatic options to ensure their immediate release.

Turkish schools substantiate our close mutual cooperation

CELİL SAĞIR, İSTANBUL I value the Turkish contribution in education and believe that this will not only benefit Pakistan but also all of humanity, and thus help in realizing our vision of “education for all.” Q: With respect to the cultural side of the relations, we know there are Turkish schools in Pakistan. Do you […]

Ugandan FA Minister: Turkish schools paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa

Ugandan Foreign Affairs Minister Asuman Kiyingi said Turkish schools have paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa. “I would like to note that especially the Turkish schools underpin the outreach,” he said. The minister Kiyingi shared that they regard the local Turkish schools as the most significant investments Turkey has made in Uganda and that they offer an admirable service in moral education besides their academic achievements.

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) ruled Tuesday that Turkey violated the rights of 2,420 people convicted of terrorism due to their alleged ties to the faith-based Gülen movement, finding that the judiciary failed to ensure fair trials and imposed criminal penalties without a legal basis.

Half a million people in Turkey subject to prosecution over Gülen links: ministry

A total of 500,650 people have been investigated over real and alleged links to the Gülen movement, the Cumhuriyet daily reported on Monday.

Afghan-Turkish schools win six medals at int’l olympiad

Afghan-Turkish schools, established by Turkish entrepreneurs affiliated with Hizmet Movement, won six medals – four golden and two silver – at an international olympiad.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s accused – Tragic stories of the purged

Hate speech and its impact on the movement (1)

On the mysterious deportations of Turkish teachers

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

Erdoğan isolates himself in power

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

Prof. Nanda: Extraditing Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would erode the rule of law

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News