Gulen Accuses Erdogan of ‘Hijacking’ Kosovo Deportees


Date posted: April 5, 2018

Fethullah Gulen, the Turkish preacher who has lived in voluntary exile in the US since 1999, on Tuesday criticized the deportation of six Turkish citizens from Kosovo to Turkey in an operation conducted by Turkish state intelligence, likening it to a hijacking.

“We are experiencing turbulent times and we have a calamity over us. Lately, hijackers hijacked people from Kosovo,” Gulen said in a video.

In the same video, he compared Kosovo with Pakistan and Myanmar, where Turkish spy agency have previously conducted similar operations and brought alleged Gulen followers to Turkey.

Gulen did not mention any names in video and did not criticize the Kosovo government.


Exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen has accused Turkish President Erdogan of ‘hijacking’ the Turkish nationals deported recently from Kosovo.


“This is basically hijacking of people, I call them as hijackers but it is not enough … They have hijacked people, they sometimes killed people or left them in the wilderness. My definition of these people might make some people uncomfortable, but it truly is hijacking,” he continued.

The exiled cleric spoke out after Kosovo police on March 19 arrested five employees of Turkish colleges in Kosovo and a Turkish doctor, all allegedly linked to Gulen, who Turkey calls a terrorist. They were deported soon after.

Turkey later said its secret service had conducted the operation in cooperation with Kosovo’s security and intelligence institutions.

However, after Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj complained that the Turks had been deported twithout his knowledge, he axed the director of the Intelligence Agency and the Interior Minister.

The Turkish operation, and Haradinaj’s later decision, triggered a war of words between politicians from the two countries.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused the Kosovo Prime Minister of wanting to protect “terrorists”.

Haradinaj responded in an interview at the Voice of America in which he said that he does not understand the reactions of the Turkish President, adding that no one from outside Kosovo can make decisions on Kosovo’s internal affairs.

Haradinaj said he did not want to prejudge who ordered the arrests and deportation, which according to him was like abducting people from Kosovo.

“The reactions of the President [Erdogan] are not understandable to me. We do not interfere in Turkey’s internal affairs, these are our internal affairs and no one will make decisions on Kosovo’s internal affairs,” Haradinaj said.

Ankara has accused Gulen of orchestrating a failed coup in Turkey on July 15, 2016. It describes his supporters as the “Fethullahist Terrorist Organisation” or “FETO” for short.

Gulen has denied any links to the failed coup and has asked an international commission to investigate the coup attempt.

 

Source: Balkan Insight , April 4, 2018


Related News

Action plan put into operation against Hizmet, indictment reveals

The Action Plan to Fight Reactionaryism, which was exposed by the Taraf daily in 2009, details a military plan to destroy the image of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and faith-based Hizmet (Gülen) movement in the eyes of the public, play down the Ergenekon investigation.

Row between Turkish government and Gulen Movement takes new twist

The row between Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and Fethullah Gulen’s Hizmet Movement, one of the most influential religious communities in the country, has taken an interesting twist after the revelation of a 2004 document. In 2004, the National Security Council proposed a clampdown on the Gulen movement (aka Hizmet), which suggested that harsh sanctions should be enforced on them.

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Abdallah Kheri, who in Kenya heads the Islamic Research and Education Trust, worries that shuttering Gulen schools and other institutions could leave a vacuum that the so-called Islamic State will seek to fill. “Closing down the institutions would definitely grant gains to the fundamentalists,” he said. In Kenya, the Rev. Wilybard Lagho, Mombasa Roman Catholic diocese vicar general, said he would lament the demise of Gulen schools.

Grondahl: Turkish community strong in wake of threats from back home

After a three-year hiatus, forced underground by fear of political retaliation from the repressive autocratic Erdogan regime in Turkey, members of the local Turkish community are re-emerging.

Pro-gov’t daily sets up hotline for informing on Gülen followers in EU

The pro-government Sabah daily’s Europe edition, Sabah Avrupa, has set up a telephone line for its readers to report followers of the faith-based Gülen movement, against which Turkish authorities launched a witch hunt over its alleged involvement in a failed coup last summer.

On the mysterious deportations of Turkish teachers

Built over a decade ago, Lahore PakTurk International School has a state-of-the-art building with an indoor Futsal court and an auditorium that can accommodate 500 students. In 2006, General Pervez Musharraf conferred a civilian award on the PakTurk International Schools and Colleges, recognising their services to Pakistan.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

US high school students visit Turkey, give glowing reviews

Kazakh-Turkish high schools win 16 medals in science competition

Kimse Yok Mu flies back 210 Somali students

Deporting Turkish teachers – Why can’t we separate politics from education?

GYV’s dialogue center not returned despite court order

Kimse Yok Mu delivered aid to Arakan Muslims

Two-truck load of Kimse Yok Mu aid for Turkmens

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News